Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apollo 11 Documentaries & Media

• 28-06-2019 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has seen any good mentions of new tv documentaries or media relating to Apollo 11? I don’t want to miss any that might be showing this summer.

My main discovery so far has been the podcast series 13 Minutes to the Moon by Kevin Fong and the BBC World Service. I’d really recommend it.

Hoping to see the Apollo 11 movie this week also. I was hoping for an iconic modern Apollo themed documentary series somewhere like Netflix but I haven’t seen anything appearing just yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has seen any good mentions of new tv documentaries or media relating to Apollo 11? I don’t want to miss any that might be showing this summer.

My main discovery so far has been the podcast series 13 Minutes to the Moon by Kevin Fong and the BBC World Service. I’d really recommend it.

Hoping to see the Apollo 11 movie this week also. I was hoping for an iconic modern Apollo themed documentary series somewhere like Netflix but I haven’t seen anything appearing just yet.
    Another podcast series I can recommend is Space Rocket History. They have a website you can follow also at http://spacerockethistory.com/.
    The host is easy to listen to and it goes into good depth on each rocket launch.
    They're past episode #300 and are at the Apollo 14 launch.

Agree with you about '13 Minutes', it's really well done.

The BBC have an upcoming TV series '8 Days', which I'm sure will be excellent, as well as plenty of new specials and repeats to celebrate the 50th anniversary,.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's a documentary called Apollo 11(2019) that is on Amazon. Well worth the price of admission. Best documentary I've seen on the mission. Great footage and really high def and with a few shots I'd never seen before. Including the LTI burn from Earth orbit. Where it goes like a bat outa hell and wouldn't look outa place in a scifi flic. :)

484029.png

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's a documentary called Apollo 11(2019) that is on Amazon. Well worth the price of admission. Best documentary I've seen on the mission. Great footage and really high def and with a few shots I'd never seen before. Including the LTI burn from Earth orbit. Where it goes like a bat outa hell and wouldn't look outa place in a scifi flic. :)

Is that the one that’s doing the rounds of some cinemas at the moment?

I have an Apple TV, hopefully I can get at it through amazon on that. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Just seen the Apollo 11 film at IFI......
    Breathtaking......see it on a BIG screen while you can......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Maybe a tad bit off-topic, but...I've not seen nearly enough coverage about it being the 50th anniversary of the first Moon landing as it should be. We are talking about mankind's greatest achievement so far, one that proved how if we really, really, really want something, we can do it.

Conversely, you still find a lot of people who go "I don't know why waste money on that stuff!" every time there's any talk about space exploration. I guess we REALLY got our heads stuck in our own arses in the last 20 years...or should I say, stuck in social media, reality shows and the likes.

BTW, I shall check out the Amazon doc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

NatGeo are showing a couple of new docs right now.
    Apollo: Missions to the Moon & The Armstrong Tapes. Both, I'd imagine, will be shown on the repeat for the next while...

Edit: Just to add; BBC4 also showing "Nasa: Triumph and Tragedy", focusing on Apollo 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

Channel 4 will be showing original coverage in real time from 16-21 July on its YouTube channel (which is what I was hoping someone would do) plus a couple of documentaries.

There is no fear that the 50th anniversary would not get massive media attention.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

The coverage is going to be overwhelming for the next two weeks. A lot of old stuff is been shown again, some great new stuff and a lot of conspiracy s***.

As stated earlier BBCs podcast 13 minutes to the moon is quality stuff and well worth the listen. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2

BBCs documentry "8 days to the moon and back" on tonight Wed July 10 looks good.

"Space rocket History" podcast is fantastic. http://spacerockethistory.com/

The new documentary Apollo 11 is fantastic https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8760684/

Not enough hours in my life to catch it all :)

This is a listing of some of the upcoming stuff to look out for.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-07-05/moon-landing-50th-anniversary-guide-tv-film-and-radio-shows-celebrating-apollo-11/?fbclid=IwAR0yC0DAXTNwQfha5M2wHQ3Lafhp4eM2lSGSecf9LzTTJ8P72o-IaR7RzPw

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just seen the Apollo 11 film at IFI......
    Breathtaking......see it on a BIG screen while you can......

Seconded... saw it today in the IFI, breathtaking. You can't help but get caught up in the drama of launch, landing and re-entry even though you know how it turns out.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

stargazing moon landing special on for another hour BBC2

interesting in places but seemed a holiday for brian and dara

• Advertisement
Advertisement