Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths in Electronic Engineering?

• 04-06-2019 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I started into an electrician apprenticeship (after dropping out of college) but I realised what I'm more interested in is the engineering (not the pulling cables).

So I started looking at courses, I've always wanted to learn how to program too so at the moment I'm looking at Software and Electronic engineering at GMIT, I've taught myself some but not much, basic python.

I finished the Leaving 3 or so years ago, got a C2 in Ordinary maths, I wasn't counting it and even asked to sit the exam a year early to get it out of the way (shockingly wasn't allowed! /s).

I went into Commerce originally and didn't enjoy the maths.. it was just up in the air wafty sh*te.
    I was fine at the stats (passed without any continuous assessment which was worth 30%), but overall I didn't apply myself or bother in any sense, so I left.

How will I find the maths in Software + Electronic engineering?
    I asked the lecturer and he was very helpful but I have the feeling he's saying I'll have no issues because he doesn't want the maths to deter me but at the same time I don't want to go into something I'll drop out of.

I've always said if I was good at maths I would have gone into engineering. I'm not bad at maths, but I think I would enjoy engineering maths more because it has a practical base (or so I'm told).

How's the maths?
    What can I start looking into to get a head start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The maths in electronic engineering is fairly demanding. Leaving cert honours level and higher.

Software engineering not so much.

Maynooth has an exam for electronic engineering for people without honours LC.

Check it out here.

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/electronic-engineering/maths-exam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Electronic engineering leans fairly heavily on calculus (integrating and differentiating) and linear algebra (matrices). There's less of that on the LC than in the past, so the maths courses are probably starting more or less at the beginning, but I'd expect to see someone with an ordinary C struggle in most electronics courses, at least at the universities. I doubt the ITs are quite as demanding, but I've tutored people taking some surprisingly tough modules there. Franz's suggestion of checking out the Maynooth exam is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

mikhail wrote: »
    Electronic engineering leans fairly heavily on calculus (integrating and differentiating) and linear algebra (matrices). There's less of that on the LC than in the past, so the maths courses are probably starting more or less at the beginning, but I'd expect to see someone with an ordinary C struggle in most electronics courses, at least at the universities. I doubt the ITs are quite as demanding, but I've tutored people taking some surprisingly tough modules there. Franz's suggestion of checking out the Maynooth exam is a good idea.

I was an honours C maths student, and found the maths in electrical/electronic engineering in an IT very challenging. Matrices, integration - all the good stuff.
    The only mitigating factor for me was we had two lecturers teaching us some of the same content depending upon different focus.

So we had pure maths classes, where we learned it for OP's airy reasons, and then we had electronics which taught us some of the same concepts in a slightly different way. Helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I did l8 mechatronic engineering and the maths is tough going. C in honours in the leaving cert is a good measure of how demanding it is. The maths crops up in a load of subjects also. Control systems, pid, electronic cct theory etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 2PiDesign

The maths in any engineering discipline isn't going to be easy, I wouldn't let that put you off if you are drawn towards engineering, particularly because you come across as somebody who is motivated & hard working.

There are a lot of bad maths teachers out there, it is very easy to miss a concept & fall behind in school.

Pick up a copy of Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud & work your way through it (don't buy Foundation Mathematics by K.A Stroud, all the topics in this are covered in the other book & more).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

The maths is complex and demanding. Do you want some example notes and examples? I have loads.

Everythng from laplace transfers to fourier series to matrices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The maths is complex and demanding. Do you want some example notes and examples? I have loads.

Everythng from laplace transfers to fourier series to matrices

LaPlace transfers - haven't thought about them in a decade! You'll bring me out in cold sweats at this rate!

I have extensive course work and info on this. I just finished year 2. Let me know if you want any info. This account is new so not sure if I have pm abilities yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mooju

I am thinking about doing sustainable energy engineering as a mature student. I only got a C2 in ordinary Maths 8 years ago.
    I am just wondering will the Math be too much for me in this or is it manageable if you work at it?
    I heard electronic engineering etc the Maths is supposed to be very difficult so I am wondering if it is less intense for sustainable energy engineering??

Work hard and you will do it.

I only have the inter cert and am 46!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Work hard and you will do it.

I only have the inter cert and am 46!

The intercert is worth two Lc's its been dumbed down so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

There are a load of online resources for engineering maths available free online. 1000'S of tutorials on youtube.

The khan academy is a good one and freestudy.co.uk.

It would be no harm to make a start on that stuff to give yourself a headstart because lectures go at a very quick pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

mooju wrote: »
    I am thinking about doing sustainable energy engineering as a mature student. I only got a C2 in ordinary Maths 8 years ago.
    I am just wondering will the Math be too much for me in this or is it manageable if you work at it?
    I heard electronic engineering etc the Maths is supposed to be very difficult so I am wondering if it is less intense for sustainable energy engineering??

I got a c in leaving cert ordinary maths about 16 years ago. I'm very bad at maths, I even have trouble counting change! I'm also dyslexic. I'm just finished a L7 & L8 in Mechatronics and honestly the maths was hell on earth, I got grinds for all the maths modules and with those I got a decent mark. I found the online khan academy no real help as I was so bad at maths It took a lot of work.

As someone previously mentioned, there is a lot of maths in controls systems also, let's of differnetial equations, matrices and z-transforms. I'm so happy that Fourier transforms are a thing of the past to me.

But if I can get through it, so can you.

And I just failed! Went in and mind went blank. Will resit in August.

Laplace transforms, differentiation, Fourier series, integration, matrices and the rest.

This is all scientific stuff. I am excellent at figures but this stuff doesn't even have numbers.

Getting started now.

Advertisement