Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Notre Dame fire conspiracies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I have seen many roofs on fire over the years, and that’s definitely not how you do it…

Were those pure wooden roofs reaching from 40 to 90 meters above ground and surrounded by large stone structures restricting access around them?

If yes may I ask which buildings we are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wayne Gorsky

But the point still holds. Have they carried out a full forensic investigation already?? They were certainly quicker coming to that conclusion than they were actually getting to the fire!

Yeah, let’s wait and see what else comes to light…though any evidence for any cause may well have gone up in smoke…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I have no proof

But I am suspicious.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Were those pure wooden roofs reaching from 40 to 90 meters above ground and surrounded by large stone structures restricting access around them?

If yes may I ask which buildings we are talking about?

Sure, access is restricted, true, still think a couple of 70m or so fire ladders would have helped, especially compared to what could be seen in the live footage…the main bell towers at Notre Dame are 69 m tall, the main roof above the nave merely some 40m, and we’re not talking about the top of that spire here…basically, with a proper plan in place, and had the fire brigade arrived quicker, i.e. within 15 or so minutes, and with the proper equipment, I feel a lot could have been prevented…also, I have read about the first alarm being ignored, not sure what the story is with that…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tbh I can see why some may have their suspicions following this

This just 5 days ago ...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/france-jails-jihadist-woman-accused-over-foiled-terror-attack-in-paris-4590216-Apr2019/

Afaik theres been two prior attempted attacks in the vicinity of the church ...

That said the building work is the most likely culprit. On the news tonight they were detailing that they were starting to interview the workers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

I predict we will see copycat arsons of historical religious monuments in Europe.
    Remember when it's happens as least admit not all conspiracies are tin foil hat jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

There's conspiracies for everything these days. Could it not just be that it went up on fire because it was an actual accident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I predict we will see copycat arsons of historical religious monuments in Europe.
    Remember when it's happens as least admit not all conspiracies are tin foil hat jobs

What does this indicate? Then there’s the attacks betwixt taigery and proddery over the last while. Of course there was the defacement of monuments in The Hill of Tara recently.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-looking-bias-motivation-after-suspect-arrested-louisiana-church-burnings-n993456

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

CosmicFool wrote: »
    There's conspiracies for everything these days. Could it not just be that it went up on fire because it was an actual accident?

That’s sheeple talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Sure, access is restricted, true, still think a couple of 70m or so fire ladders would have helped, especially compared to what could be seen in the live footage…the main bell towers at Notre Dame are 69 m tall, the main roof above the nave merely some 40m, and we’re not talking about the top of that spire here…basically, with a proper plan in place, and had the fire brigade arrived quicker, i.e. within 15 or so minutes, and with the proper equipment, I feel a lot could have been prevented…also, I have read about the first alarm being ignored, not sure what the story is with that…

You're a firefighter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well, there are fire ladders on the market that could easily reach high enough for anything at Notre Dame, and you’d think a city like Paris would have some sort of contingency plan (and the equipment) in place for an emergency at one of its (and the world’s) main icons (also because, as opposed to liberty hall, it would be a loss)…
    oh, and, as some around here seem to be experts in putting out cathedral fires, what should they have done? Fact is, there was no major effort made to put out the fire on the roof at all…two or three hoses were never going to cut it…and yes, they probably arrived too late anyway, which poses its own set of questions…

Yes i know this on is the UK
    The tallest aerial platform used in the operation at the north Kensington block was borrowed from Surrey Fire and Rescue Service.

Reaching up to 42m (138ft) in height, the fire truck, which is based in Leatherhead, is the tallest in the country.

Yet it was unable to reach the top floors of the 24-storey Grenfell Tower, which stands at nearly 70m
    (230ft).

Notre Dame
    took until 1345 before the cathedral was completed, partly because the design was enlarged during construction. The result is an overwhelming building, 128 meters long (420 ft) with two 69 meter tall towers (226 ft). 

These are massive units, not one in every fire station and certainly not something you have sitting around.

Are you still posting this sh/te?

This a conspiracy theory thread so I'm entitled to my opinion.
    Also just watched bbc news report, something fishy about the whole thing

Thank God they saved the crown of thorns.
    This was worn by Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Can I be the only one concerned for the fate of the picture of ze fallen Madonna wiv ze big boobies?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thank God they saved the crown of thorns.
    This was worn by Jesus

Shame that some people will believe anything an authority figure tells them, innit. ;)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Can I be the only one concerned for the fate of the picture of ze fallen Madonna wiv ze big boobies?

The Germans have it - you need to ask Merkel....

There's a group of people who meet on the internet to claim this after every significant event, they are called conspiracy theorists

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whats fishy about it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

It was either Muslims, Travellers or those naughty Prods:):):)

Wrong! Was all 3 working together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It was all about Brexit, now the EU can add more to the UKs exit bill as a share of the reconstruction costs plus add a whip round for any other public buildings they want to upgrade and makes the Brexit less likely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Please don't dispute mod warnings on thread. I've deleted it in any case.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Al Aqsa Mosque went on fire at the same time as Notre Dame...

https://www.thejournal.ie/jerusalem-mosque-fire-4593650-Apr2019/

Apparently it was started by children...

Has anyone questioned the children of Paris?!?!?

Likely as an accident may seem, the question really has to be how the authorities and media could possibly be content with “Oops” as an explanation for the disaster at this point, not least in the light of all those other catholic churches in France being put to the torch and defiled lately…questions absolutely have to be asked, and speculating is entirely legitimate at this early stage…those who ridicule and stifle an open discussion make themselves part of a mainstream conspiracy and thus part of the overall problem in this world…

Likely as an accident may seem, the question really has to be how the authorities and media could possibly be content with “Oops” as an explanation for the disaster at this point, not least in the light of all those other catholic churches in France being put to the torch and defiled lately…questions absolutely have to be asked, and speculating is entirely legitimate at this early stage…those who ridicule and stifle an open discussion make themselves part of a mainstream conspiracy and thus part of the overall problem in this world…

The French could tomorrow show definitive proof that this was an accident, they could showw cctv footage of the fire starting, they could bring 10 witnessess forward to corroborate the cctv footage and you will still have people say

A. Cctv footage is fake.
    B. Witnessess are actirs paid to lie.

Conspiracy theorists gonna conspire no matyer what.

the question really has to be how the authorities and media could possibly be content with “Oops” as an explanation for the disaster at this point

They aren't, which is why a team of 50 investigators is working on finding the exact causes. They have specified that as of yet there are no indications of foul play
    those who ridicule and stifle an open discussion make themselves part of a mainstream conspiracy and thus part of the overall problem in this world…

A bunch of ignorant/paranoid people on the internet with next to no knowledge of the situation, spreading baseless rumours and coming up with conspiracies for fun are not adding anything but disinformation and falsehoods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

If this was ISIS they would have come out and said so. I think it was an accident personally. If it was done deliberate, then their investigation team has not found the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The French could tomorrow show definitive proof that this was an accident, they could showw cctv footage of the fire starting, they could bring 10 witnessess forward to corroborate the cctv footage and you will still have people say

A. Cctv footage is fake.

Similarly though if you had difinitive proof muslims did it for jihadist reasons and they had come in to the country claiming asylum from syria, you'd still have some politician on (even though nobody asked) calling for open borders and saying that it was justified revenge for something the brits did to africa hundreds of years ago.

Cant have anything these days without somebody thinking its a government coverup, or somebody in the government trying to cover it up / downplay it.

A. Cctv footage is fake.

Sure, but we don't have any such proof, and cctv would not prove anything re arson or not anyway, yet we have every reason to be suspicious, as I said not least in the light of recent events in France...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Conspiracy theorists don't conspire!!....they theorise that others have conspired to perform a certain act or acts.

Advertisement