Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHERE IS THE GOLD

• 07-03-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

i know this is the wrong place so can the mods please move it :o
    is there anyboby out there panning for gold anywhere in ireland? i would love to give it a try and need advice and tips please. Is it best to start nearer the source or the mouth of a river.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭vertico

vertico wrote: »
    is there anyboby out there panning for gold anywhere in ireland? i would love to give it a try and need advice and tips please. Is it best to start nearer the source or the mouth of a river.
    Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gently does it Bacchus

Hi Vertico,
    I don't think you're going to find anyone here who would be familiar with gold panning tbh!Check out this link: http://www.gpaireland.ie/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8 I'm sure these guys can help you.

Cheers, there were peeps about 5 year's ago talking about it so I thought I might get some tips.. I'll try the link, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I've panned for gold in Ireland.

And I found several nuggets

of information about how unfit I was, how that bad back was really a bad back and how walking through streams really is harder on your legs.

Seriously I have panned for gold, between myself and the geologist I was with we found one tiny (salt grain) speck of gold.

It hasn't put me off and I will return to the location later this year to have another go.

You don't need expensive equipment, a large plastic pot stand will do you for a pan and you can buy small plastic sniffer bottles in any of the vapor cig shops for a few cent.

I was looking for some equipment on eBay and should be able to get setup fairly handy.
    I planning on waiting till the floods go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I was looking for some equipment on eBay and should be able to get setup fairly handy.

Waiting for floods to recede would be a good idea, forget about ebay, a saucer for a garden planter will suffice as a pan (pick up in Woodies B&Q ). a small plastic sniffer bottle (10ml ) can be got from the vapour cig shops, a small garden trowel is all you need to start.

Cheap Pan €5 to €7
    Small Sniffer Bottle under a €1
    Small Trowel under a €10

If you want to pm me your location I 'll point you in the right direction as to where to start your panning, this offer does not guarantee you'll find gold but will get you out and about.

Waiting for floods to recede would be a good idea, forget about ebay, a saucer for a garden planter will suffice as a pan (pick up in Woodies B&Q ). a small plastic sniffer bottle (10ml ) can be got from the vapour cig shops, a small garden trowel is all you need to start.

Cheap Pan €5 to €7
    Small Sniffer Bottle under a €1
    Small Trowel under a €10

If you want to pm me your location I 'll point you in the right direction as to where to start your panning, this offer does not guarantee you'll find gold but will get you out and about.

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

NO, you should be out (safely) studying the river in question WHEN it is in flood. Why? Because only when a river is in flood does alluvial gold move. So where the river is flowing in flood may be drastically different to where it flows at its lowest.

So in fact the gold alluvial deposit that you are seeking may be not in the (low level) river AT ALL. But on the bank. No matter where you find gold, ONCE you have found it there, you can return to that spot in a number of seasons again and may find more. Gold will always end up in more or less the same places. The trick to goldpanning for alluvial gold is to learn to read a river. Gold will lie on inside corners, at the front of boulders etc etc. It is EXTREMELY dense and so you must learn to think in terms of that heavy material making its way downstream.

Look for fast and ferocious stretches of water in flood, nearer the source, that would cause movement of boulders and of much denser material like gold. Where it slows down is where gold, the heaviest material, drops out.

If you want to learn ALL about goldpanning, read http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/

There are better and worse places to look for alluvial gold, geographically. IF you research the forae, you will find references to the streams and rivers. IF you are lucky enough to have the state-provided CD, then that provides a number of those locations. There are more.

Be VERY careful when streamwalking. Especially where there was ice-age glacial till deposited, some of those little streams and upstream rivers contain deeply carved out bedrock holes. Dredging those is a possibility, but only with professional gear. Dredging is also environmentally damaging, unless done with care for the river and handheld instruments. But not the pro-level stuff that could be applied.

Have fun.

Source: I gold-pan and have been researching the hobby along with Ireland's varied geology for years. Gold is everywhere in Ireland. In many forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bmeen56

Just wondering if anyone knows where you can buy a gold pan in Dublin ? Haven't found any in the shops, just hold grids, rather than buying off amazon
    Want to go prospecting for a bit of a laugh and something different to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

gold panning association of Ireland on face book

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The GPAI seems to have gone offline.

Try here now:
    Gold Panning & Prospecting in Ireland
    http://s13.zifboards.com/GPPI/index.php?act=idx

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Strawberry1975

Everywhere

Gold Can Drive ya crazy
    Drug's are not the answer

There are other places too check out tellus

If ya had Windows 98 and a gold CD
    Ya would have an idea or you could check tellus on the internet

Ya could be more specific I knows where the gold is everywhere

This is freedom of information.
    Not Trolling.

This is Information about

Illegal Activities.

Environmental Damage

Gold Panning the Guidelines
    State
    No more than 2 Days per Calendar Month
    in any Area.

Not Every Day.

Illegal Mining.

Illegal Misuse of Drug's.

Camp gold rash on the Coolbawn River
    In Tallyho near Aughrim

a Mining Camp.

There is a Book out called Gold Frenzy it has a Map of the Coolbawn River and other Gold locations

A Wooden Cabin
    Built without any Permission.

No Permission from Anyone

Built on land Rented to Coilte

No Permission from the PLA Holder

IMC Exploration Ltd

Eastern fisheries

Definitely No Planning Permission

Squatters Rights

You will see Dredgeing there
    Misuse of illegal Drugs

This is Fact not Fiction

They Truth is out There

Check with the

Department of Communications and Natural Resources
    Mining Devision
    The know the Story.
    This is the Truth
    Sometimes the Truth Hurts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Mod note - thread closed.

This thread has been closed for three reasons:

1. Commercial gold extraction is illegal in this country.
    2. The thread has descended into the bizarre and ridiculous.
    3. Some of the posts have become perilously close to defamatory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement