Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Identification of Object - Possibly Georgian/Victorian

• 24-02-2019 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,

I don't know if this falls under 'archaeology' or whether it would be more antiques.

Weight: 120g
    Measurements: 155mm L x 80mm W x 20mm D (bowl) / 50mm D (end of handle)
    Material: Likely copper

Would anyone know what this object would be used for? It seems like a ladle or measuring spoon but is quite small. I can't understand why there are three divots around the main section, which wouldn't be helpful for pouring anything out.

Found in garden of a georgian/victorian property and Barry's tea bag for reference.

MuIo0Jyl.jpg

OhtVMt7l.jpg

Album of images: https://imgur.com/a/JUSR0Wl

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My first thought daft as it may be is an ashtray?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Wibbs wrote: »
    My first thought daft as it may be is an ashtray?

That's what came to my mind too. It looks in very good condition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Victorian House

Thanks - that is a very interesting suggestion. It fits the timeline (1860s onwards for cigarettes?), explains the three divots and the small size of the utensil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Looks very like a cast iron skillet ashtray. Plenty of images on Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I found this online. It looks very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Victorian House

pablo128 wrote: »
    I found this online. It looks very similar.

The post notes the same exact measurements as the one I found! Thanks.

Advertisement