Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts - Taking 2nd exit

• 29-05-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

At a roundabout, when I want to go straight over (the 2nd exit), which lane should I be in?

My parents claim that I should be in the right hand lane, then stay in the inside lane closest to the roundabout as I go around, and then indicate and pull out into the outside lane as I turn off.

But I've seen some other cars position themselves in the left lane, stay in that outside lane past the 1st exit, and then just indicate left and continue on in that lane as they turn off.

Which is it? Could doing it one way versus the other be marked as incorrect in a test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

But I've seen some other cars position themselves in the left lane, stay in that outside lane past the 1st exit, and then just indicate left and continue on in that lane as they turn off.

I'm 99% sure this is the correct way to do it. Though it's not illegal to proceed as your parents suggested, if its safe to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I find with roundabout you must disobey the rules if you want to have a have pleasent journey through them.
    Eg.

a) Bandon Road Rounabout South Link Cork, approaching from the University Hospital if you keep to the far right lane for going right (as marked) you will then have to change lanes in the middle of the roundabout and at that you then proceed onto the Dual Carriageway in the overtaking lane meaning you have to change again.

b) Cork Airport off ramp similary, if you stay in the correct lane you will find yourself indicating and having to change lanes again mid way through and are again aligned for the overtaking lane ahead.

Roundabouts are an absolute nightmare if they have more than 2 lanes and then add the Irish special of signalising them and you get the ultimate fook up. The United States has very little roundabouts as most of the population below the Mason-Dixon would probably massacre each other at one. They are not a good solution only for small traffic volumes and are a typical Irish answer to bad design only plank a roundabout into it.

I drive an automatic and just approach roundabout with general abandon and force my way through with a thick neck and several horn sounds, plus just gun the engine to blaze through it as fast as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

This should answer it for you. Theres a wee flash, interactive video halfway down that'll show exactly how its done. Please do it after you've passed - you'd be surprised how many people act like lunatics on roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

Your parents would be wrong on most standard roundabouts, some of the roundabouts around here are marked the opposite to others so your parents way would be the correct way on them. So to answer you question you must obey the road markings but in general the left lane is the correct one unless road markings tell you otherwise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Roundabout rules are not very clear in Ireland and so most irish drivers make their own rules up.

It's a bloody pain. Technically, in the UK and northern ireland, your parents are right and it makes sense. They use signs in the UK where if you are taking the first exit, use the left lane only. For any other exit, use the right lane.

I was obeying these rules driving through northen ireland thanks to the clear arrows marked on the roads approaching the roundabout. Of course, another replublic car stays in the left lane to take the second exit and nearly crashes into me when we are taking the exit at the same time. I had to swerve out of his way completely, followed by him manically overtaking me and honking his horn in his big merc.

I wish they could make this rule international because it in Ireland i stay in the left lane for taking the first and second exit just to avoid crashes.

It is worse in france, you have to give right of way while you are on the roundabout to anyone wanting to enter the roundabout :eek:

• Advertisement

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    This should answer it for you. Theres a wee flash, interactive video halfway down that'll show exactly how its done. Please do it after you've passed - you'd be surprised how many people act like lunatics on roundabouts.

But then again, that flash video tells me differently. That's what i do in Ireland anyway. When i was driving in northern Ireland, the signage was a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I have seen many near misses on roundabouts in Blanchardstown, the M50 roundabout and the next one on the way into town by the Travellodge.

It seems to be a bit of a free-for-all at times on those roundabouts and it doesn't help that theres so much traffic that those on the inside lane nearest the roundabout who are wishing to go straight have to pull into the outside lane when they meet a line of traffic taking the 3rd exit.

Keep to the left lane is generally what I do as at least anyone in the inside lane should be going straight or taking the 3rd exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

I was taught to look at the roundabout in terms of a clock face, with your entrance as six o'clock. Any exit before or on the twelve, you use the left lane and for any exit after the twelve you use the right lane. However, if road markings state differently then you must follow the road markings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

netwhizkid wrote: »
    I drive an automatic and just approach roundabout with general abandon and force my way through with a thick neck and several horn sounds, plus just gun the engine to blaze through it as fast as possible.

That sentence epitomises everything that is bad about Irish drivers. Please take 5 minutes and learn how to use a roundabout properly. It's not rocket science FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Roundabout rules are not very clear in Ireland and so most irish drivers make their own rules up.

It's a bloody pain. Technically, in the UK and northern ireland, your parents are right and it makes sense. They use signs in the UK where if you are taking the first exit, use the left lane only. For any other exit, use the right lane.

Nope, sorry to disagree. Passed test, and drove in UK for 10 years. If there are 3 exits off a roundabout, you use the Left hand lane for the first and second exit, right hand lane for 3rd. Highway Code for UK:

162. Signals and position, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise.

When taking the first exit

* signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
    * keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking any intermediate exit

* do not signal on the approach to the roundabout
    * approach in the left-hand lane or centre lane on a three-lane road (on a two-lane road you may approach in the right-hand lane if the left-hand lane is blocked)
    * stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    * signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking the last exit or going full circle

* signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    * keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Nope, sorry to disagree. Passed test, and drove in UK for 10 years. If there are 3 exits off a roundabout, you use the Left hand lane for the first and second exit, right hand lane for 3rd. Highway Code for UK:

162. Signals and position, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise.

When taking the first exit

* signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
    * keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking any intermediate exit

* do not signal on the approach to the roundabout
    * approach in the left-hand lane or centre lane on a three-lane road (on a two-lane road you may approach in the right-hand lane if the left-hand lane is blocked)
    * stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout

When taking the last exit or going full circle

* signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    * keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

Can't see anything different there between Ireland and UK?

The rules of the road are online and the relevant bit is here

So the OP's parents are wrong, but I'd be a bit worried about anyone driving if they haven't even read the rules of the road for themselves.

Oops, thought the rules were different. Well on this particular roundabout it was different because of the signs and i guess the guy who nearly crashed into me didn't see them. if they weren't there, i would have stayed in the left lane to take the second exit. That's what i do here anyway. i guess it was because, there was two lanes on approaching the roundabout and at the second exit, this became one lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

waraf wrote: »
    That sentence epitomises everything that is bad about Irish drivers. Please take 5 minutes and learn how to use a roundabout properly. It's not rocket science FFS

I know how to use roundabouts and when I do use them properly I only end up on the receiving end of a "watch where your going" or some moron stepping on the horn, signalised roundabouts and having to switch lanes midway through a roundabout is an absolute joke. Most people don't either know how to use roundabouts or have given up years ago like myself. I passed my test very easily but the problems with roundabouts are not driver error but design error. Roundabouts are a road hazard and should all be removed from Irish infrastructure immediately.

Pressure sensitive Traffic lights are a far more convenient and safer option with clover leaf motorway junctions. Ireland's road infrastructure is an absolute joke and why anyone would either defend or want roundabouts is totally bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Pressure sensitive Traffic lights are a far more convenient and safer option with clover leaf motorway junctions.

Shamrock junctions just what Ireland needs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

If a roundabout doesnt have any road markings then the usual thing i do is look at the roundabout as a clock,anything before 12 or at 12 is the left lane(if there's only two lanes on the roundabout) after that its the right lane.
    BUT if there's road markings. obey the road markings. eg. if the road marking on the left is left only( 1st exit only ) then you should be on the right lane for any other exits. I'm from Carlow and when i went to killarney i got bit confused but its not rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Pressure sensitive Traffic lights are a far more convenient and safer option with clover leaf motorway junctions. Ireland's road infrastructure is an absolute joke and why anyone would either defend or want roundabouts is totally bizarre.

I have never seen such trolling. Roundabouts are an ideal junction arrangement in many situations, which is not to say that they are not sometimes misused in Ireland. Cloverleafs are an obsolete junction design.

And an increasing number of roundabouts are being introduced in the US.

http://www.azdot.gov/CCPartnerships/Roundabouts/index.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement