Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Thornleys XVs have been guesses recently rather than based off any inside information. He's been wrong each time he's attempted a squad I'm pretty sure. I reckon we'll see something like:

Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Henderson, Ryan, Doris, VDF, CJ, Murray, Sexton, Earls, Henshaw, Farrell, Lowe, Keenan/Stockdale

Reckon Coach Farrell will want to see more of Farrell, get another look at Kelleher and VDF, bring Earls back into the fray and see what Lowe s made of (is he qualified at this stage?). Could also see Earls in the 23 jersey.

Nevermind - Thornley was right. Shows what I know

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sigh. That's a depressing team if true. I'll be very interested to see what Wales go with in comparison.

Home to a struggling Welsh team in a nothing tournament. This is an opportunity to see what certain players bring to the table. Lads like Healy and POM have no business starting this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Sorry if been discussed, but what's the story with Furlong? Any return date?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think a lot depends on what we want to get out of the game. There are more considerations other than just development. We have a new system that still needs bedding in. Theres the people management side of letting guys get back on the horse after a disappointing end to the 6Ns. And even within the development consideration, do you throw a whole load of young lads in together to play the new system or do you drip feed them?

Injuries aren't helping either. Missing Furlong, Baird, Carbery and Ringrose will have knock on effects elsewhere. Plus, when was Thornley last right in his predictions anyway?

• Aki injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think a lot depends on what we want to get out of the game. There are more considerations other than just development. We have a new system that still needs bedding in. Theres the people management side of letting guys get back on the horse after a disappointing end to the 6Ns. And even within the development consideration, do you throw a whole load of young lads in together to play the new system or do you drip feed them?

Injuries aren't helping either. Missing Furlong, Baird, Carbery and Ringrose will have knock on effects elsewhere. Plus, when was Thornley last right in his predictions anyway?

Yes, we always suffer terrible knock on effects when Baird can't tog out.

• Administrators Posts: 53,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Carbery is injured more than he's fit, not sure he really counts as a loss either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Interesting to see what happens at outhalf in the next year or 2

Sexton has been undeniably Irelands first choice since midway through the 2011 worldcup , thats nearly a decade as easily the best outhalf in the country which is incredible,

However now he's in the twilight of his career he potentially has one more year as irelands first choice and then a couple more at Leinster,

I'm interested to see out of Harry Byrne, Ross Byrne, Ben Healy and Carbery who will rise to the top and grab the jersey,

I think Burns or Carty are only really a fill in until one of the above is ready I dont think they are likely to hold it for very long,

Its unlikely any of the above will have the jersey dominance Sexton has had,

Both battles for the 10 jersey begin at their provinces between Carberry and Healy and H Byrne and Ross Byrne,

Who knows with injuries, form and development who will be no.1

15. Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 30 caps
    14. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 2 caps
    13. Chris Farrell (Munster/Young Munster) 10 caps
    12. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 45 caps
    11. James Lowe (Leinster) uncapped
    10. Jonathan Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 93 caps CAPTAIN
    9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 2 caps
    1. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 100 caps
    2. Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 3 caps
    3. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 28 caps
    4. Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 55 caps
    5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 28 caps
    6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 69 caps
    7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 26 caps
    8. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 4 caps

Replacements

16. Dave Heffernan (Connacht/Buccaneers) 3 caps
    17. Ed Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 2 caps
    18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 11 caps
    19. Quinn Roux (Connacht/Galwegians) 12 caps
    20. Will Connors (Leinster/UCD) 2 caps
    21. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 83 caps
    22. Billy Burns (UIster) uncapped
    23. Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 84 caps

15. Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 30 caps
    14. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 2 caps
    13. Chris Farrell (Munster/Young Munster) 10 caps
    12. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 45 caps
    11. James Lowe (Leinster) uncapped
    10. Jonathan Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 93 caps CAPTAIN
    9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 2 caps
    1. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 100 caps
    2. Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 3 caps
    3. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 28 caps
    4. Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 55 caps
    5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 28 caps
    6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 69 caps
    7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 26 caps
    8. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 4 caps

Replacements

16. Dave Heffernan (Connacht/Buccaneers) 3 caps
    17. Ed Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 2 caps
    18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 11 caps
    19. Quinn Roux (Connacht/Galwegians) 12 caps
    20. Will Connors (Leinster/UCD) 2 caps
    21. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 83 caps
    22. Billy Burns (UIster) uncapped
    23. Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 84 caps

Stander surely picked up a knock

• Advertisement

With Baird and Ringrose and leavy to recover from Injury or come into the team and Jimmy o'brien looking good at FB for Leinster we could have an all Ireland team of only leinster players... soon,

Somehow I dont see the management picking it but were not far off with 11/15 being leinster as it stands

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Stander surely picked up a knock

Or maybe he is just rested. Like you know to try other players.

Ireland will win by 10-15 on Friday night.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Or maybe he is just rested. Like you know to try other players.

Ireland will win by 10-15 on Friday night.

Try other players by picking O'mahony...ye ok, I reckon he'd still be on the bench even if they were trying a new back row combination

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Try other players by picking O'mahony...ye ok, I reckon he'd still be on the bench even if they were trying a new back row combination

Kelleher Doris Porter in the pack

A new starting 9

Lowe and Keenan in back three

Don't forget it's 4 games in 4 weekends followed by Europe. Maybe there is a hint of minutes being managed here so the top guys aren't flogged

Woud Connacht rather Aki sits this one and Georgia out but is available for Europe?

Likewise Munster with Stander etc

For the record I don't think POM should be near the 23 but I'm not going to lose sleep over it either when there is plenty of players getting proper opportunities now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Ridiculous selection in what is a nothing game. Give the gametime to someone up and coming.

Is Farrell trying to give POM a chance to play himself into form? He shouldn't be in the squad let alone starting going on his form for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't know what to make of it. Any news on knocks/injuries in camp?

The POM comments by some on here are completely overboard but his spot in the starting XV is a surprise.

Earls in the 23 and no sign of Conway is strange as well. At this stage Conway offers more cover than Earls does.

Some of the selections can be seen as development based which is all well and good while others are the exact opposite.

POM deserves to have one more crack of the whip. He was better than Doris when he came on v France and had that offload v Italy. If he can bring that x-factor to this game and on, then let's see it.

At the same time, if he doesn't perform, I can see it being his last chance saloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I don't know what to make of it. Any news on knocks/injuries in camp?

The POM comments by some on here are completely overboard but his spot in the starting XV is a surprise.

Earls in the 23 and no sign of Conway is strange as well.

It is ridiculous because Farrell should be using valuable gametime to bring on younger players, especially in a meaningless game.

What's to be gained by playing POM in this game?

He is a known quantity and hasn't been playing well for a good while now. Other countries are miles ahead of us in terms of getting young lads up to speed because we go with the conservative option too many times. Plenty of youth in a setup adds more energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Has a sense of being a mix and match type team

Giving minutes to some people who haven't played much, giving a few debuts while keeping a few older heads in the team

Great to see Earls back fit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

yeah some utterly daft selections there. On the one hand its great to see the new caps and RK while depressing to see the usual's. No point whatsoever

Funny how some said on here Lowe wouldn't get in.

Straight into the team as many of us predicted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It is ridiculous because Farrell should be using valuable gametime to bring on younger players, especially in a meaningless game.

What's to be gained by playing POM in this game?

He is a known quantity and hasn't been playing well for a good while now. Other countries are miles ahead of us in terms of getting young lads up to speed because we go with the conservative option too many times. Plenty of youth in a setup adds more energy.

It also introduces a lack of experience and leadership. I wouldn't have him in the starting 15 either, but as Burkie said, I'm not going to lose sleep over it when there is plenty of players getting proper opportunities now.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Kelleher Doris Porter in the pack

A new starting 9

Lowe and Keenan in back three

Add in that 6 of the bench have 12 caps or less.

It does seems to be a slightly odd selection but it looks to me likes it's trying to achieve a blend of youth and experience while giving other players a rest. I don't expect to see near the same team next week, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭PMC83

Always a big fan of Madigan in his Leinster days but based off his play with Ulster last night his international days must be behind him. Nothing sticking for him these days unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Debut for Lowe, probable debut for Burns and a first start for JGP.

So given the squad selected it is about as good as could have been expected.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,977 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

While i was originally disappointed to see Thornleys teams.... im not actually too downhearted by that line up... its a good mix of experience and inexperience

9 of the 23 have less than 5 caps.. which is a huge signal of new blood and a new direction (this will be farrells 6th game in charge)

Niallof9 wrote: »
    yeah some utterly daft selections there. On the one hand its great to see the new caps and RK while depressing to see the usual's. No point whatsoever

Funny how some said on here Lowe wouldn't get in.

Straight into the team as many of us predicted.

Didn't you also make the prediction (and were disappointed) that Will Connors would be an automatic starter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

PMC83 wrote: »
    Always a big fan of Madigan in his Leinster days but based off his play with Ulster last night his international days must be behind him. Nothing sticking for him these days unfortunately.

Burns is well ahead of him at Ulster at this stage. He's still a decent Pro 14 option and but I would imagine his Ireland days are well behind him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

sydthebeat wrote: »
    While i was originally disappointed to see Thornleys teams.... im not actually too downhearted by that line up... its a good mix of experience and inexperience

9 of the 23 have less than 5 caps.. which is a huge signal of new blood and a new direct (this will be farrells 6th game in charge)

We gain nothing in the medium and long term selecting Sexton, Healy, Murray, Earls and O ‘Mahony in this Wales game.
    Stockdale at FB should have been shelved after Paris debacle.
    Disappointed at how short term his selections are especially considering that this is a micky mouse tournament with no fans.

Comparing it to what Rennie has been doing with Australia.
    4 games for Australia. All v NZ and 10 debuts. 7 debutants started in the XV!

Farrell 6 games. 8 debuts. 4 debutants in the XV.

Queensland No.8 Harry Wilson 20 / Caelen Dorris 22
    QLD back-rower Fraser McReight 21 / Will Connors 24
    NSW back-row Lachie Swinton 23 / -
    Brumbies winger Tom Wright 23 / Hugo Keenan 24
    Fiji Filipo Daugunu 25 / NZ Lowe 28
    Samoa/NZ QLD 12 Hunter Paisami 22 / -
    NZ NSW 12 Irae Simone 25 / -
    NZ/Aus QLD 10 Noah Lolesio 20 / Eng Burns 26
    QLD 9 Tate McDermott 22 / NZ Park 28
    NSW Prop Angus Bell 20 / Ed Byrne 27
    Hooker - / Ronan Kelleher 22

Average age Australia 22.1
    Average age Ireland 25.1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

bilston wrote: »
    Burns is well ahead of him at Ulster at this stage. He's still a decent Pro 14 option and but I would imagine his Ireland days are well behind him now.

I must say i don't rate Burns at this level.
    I wouldn't go with Madigan either (he needs to play allot more rugby)

But why is Carty not involved?
    Id even cap young Byrne v Georgia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I must say i don't rate Burns at this level.
    I wouldn't go with Madigan either (he needs to play allot more rugby)

But why is Carty not involved?
    Id even cap young Byrne v Georgia.

You don't rate a player at this level who is uncapped at this level? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement