Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric, Hydrogen & Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I know off topic but new shelters going up in the city. Information boards electronic too ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Wow. The yellow/green livery looks great on the new AP's. I cannot wait to see them in service.

Charging points are being installed at Summerhill for the AP's allocation on the 123.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I know off topic but new shelters going up in the city. Information boards electronic too ....

Where abouts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Where abouts?

O'Connell Street and Westmoreland Street

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Haven't been next to near town on a bus in months.

Might be in tomorrow so will have a gander on Westmoreland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Bus Eireann's Athlone Town bus service will be going fully electric with more details to be announced in 2021.

https://twitter.com/Buseireann/status/1329026196311580674

That would mean the Streetlites from Wrights being allocated to the A1 & A2 in Athlone will have a new future in that they will probably be placed in another town in Ireland running other Bus Eireann town services or they would probably go to another operator from next year.

What an exciting time for people in Athlone. They must be thrilled with the news.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bus Eireann's Athlone Town bus service will be going fully electric with more details to be announced in 2021.

I'd assume this will be part of the NTA's tender for 200 Fully Electric single decker buses. I'd assume they will turn up wherever BE operate single decker city buses, Cork, etc. and I'd assume GAI too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Toronto is trialling three makes of electric buses (40ft single decker by BYD, New Flyer, Proterra) at the moment. Ranges being obtained are 207-226km between charges. Manufacturer promises were for nearer 400.

The ranges obtained will allow for e bus use on some routes/schedules but they are looking at needing a next gen bus to be able to run most.

Toronto is a tough environment for all vehicles, with high summer temps (including at night) and heavy use of road salt in cold winters - in theory Ireland would be a nicer environment for electrics with its narrower operating temp range

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cold temperatures are a disaster for batteries and high temperatures mean AC on most modern vehicles, albeit not current Dublin Bus ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I saw this photo of an AP on the Irish Road Passenger Transport Forum, apologies for the poor quality. (Link to original post - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/irishtransport/viewtopic.php?p=114004#p114004)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Well I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by that. Hopefully it will look better with graphics on it and branding etc.

That being said it's in poor lighting and not the sharpest picture, so hard to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ITV2

Their class name will be PA1 - 74

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

ITV2 wrote: »
    Their class name will be PA1 - 74

I assume this is for Bus eireann? Dublin bus is confirmed to be AP afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ITV2

p_haugh wrote: »
    I assume this is for Bus eireann? Dublin bus is confirmed to be AP afaik
    No a change of code name for DB and Bus Eireann will be PAD 1-26 I'm told.

devnull wrote: »
    Well I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by that. Hopefully it will look better with graphics on it and branding etc.

That being said it's in poor lighting and not the sharpest picture, so hard to judge.

Front of the bus kind of reminds of Berlin a little bit which suggests that the NTA may be looking more to continental Europe rather than TFL perhaps unintentionally. Not sure about the green tbh but I don't think the livery really matters too much as long as it's consistent which hopefully this livery will achieve.

ITV2 wrote: »
    No a change of code name for DB and Bus Eireann will be PAD 1-26 I'm told.

Any idea of when they'll be delivered to DB and BE. I presume there will need to be some driver familiarisation before they enter service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

GT89 wrote: »
    Any idea of when they'll be delivered to DB and BE. I presume there will need to be some driver familiarisation before they enter service.

That consists of, this is how you start it, this turns on the lights and the pedal on the right makes it go and the other stops it....

Basically that's about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That consists of, this is how you start it, this turns on the lights and the pedal on the right makes it go and the other stops it....

Basically that's about it.

The unions: Yeah, that sounds pretty complicated. Our drivers are gonna need another 10k a year for that.

The unions: Yeah, that sounds pretty complicated. Our drivers are gonna need another 10k a year for that.

When did unions ask for 10k when a new bus was introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Is a trolling moderator acceptable on any other forum?

• Advertisement

• Is a trolling moderator acceptable on any other forum?

*looks at the history of transport unions in Ireland and how they have reacted to change*

I'm not entirely sure it qualifies as trolling given the history to be honest, a funny joke, sure

On the other hand I'm sure many commuters have felt trolled over the years by the actions of transport unions

*looks at the history of transport unions in Ireland and how they have reacted to change*

I'm not entirely sure it qualifies as trolling given the history to be honest, a funny joke, sure

On the other hand I'm sure many commuters have felt trolled over the years by the actions of transport unions

Give over there have been lot's of changes to public transport operations in Ireland over the last 50 years and the unions have stopped absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

donvito99 wrote: »

But the issue got sorted out in the end didn't it hence we currently have 8 car DARTs operating to this day meaning the unions did not prevent 8 car DARTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

donvito99 wrote: »
    So lazy to complain about new challanges at work and a great opportunity to upskill - this is not professional, but just an embarrasement. Then, if a train driver is so affraid of longer trains, maybe they aren't ready to do this job and should be paid less for loosing skills? It doesn't give assurance to the passengers knowing that Irish train drivers doesn't want to be professional and seek for improvement, rather just work any day same as the previous day. Long time job market isn't working like that. If they don't want to drive longer trains, they can go to intercity trains or other types of routes where trains are shorter with for a lower salary, or change a profession that they are so loud about their inability to do their job with possibilities to improve and learn. In my opinion, Irish rail standards (punctuality, safety etc.) are low even considering old signaling system and bad budgeting.

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    So lazy to complain about new challanges at work and a great opportunity to upskill - this is not professional, but just an embarrasement. Then, if a train driver is so affraid of longer trains, maybe they aren't ready to do this job and should be paid less for loosing skills? It doesn't give assurance to the passengers knowing that Irish train drivers doesn't want to be professional and seek for improvement, rather just work any day same as the previous day. Long time job market isn't working like that. If they don't want to drive longer trains, they can go to intercity trains or other types of routes where trains are shorter with for a lower salary, or change a profession that they are so loud about their inability to do their job with possibilities to improve and learn. In my opinion, Irish rail standards (punctuality, safety etc.) are low even considering old signaling system and bad budgeting.

Nothing to with being against upskilling. Longer trains means increased responsibility generally most will want increased pay to match increased responsibility. Anyway it happened in 2005 not really relevant to the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

GT89 wrote: »
    Nothing to with being against upskilling. Longer trains means increased responsibility generally most will want increased pay to match increased responsibility. Anyway it happened in 2005 not really relevant to the topic at hand.
    Responsibility is not increased - it's the same. It could be that risk is increased, but that't why guidelines and rules are in place - to prevent incidents. Drivers should be concious and follow the rules. And they should have additional training provided, with some test driving hours for some who are less experienced, works less years.

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    Responsibility is not increased - it's the same. It could be that risk is increased, but that't why guidelines and rules are in place - to prevent incidents. Drivers should be concious and follow the rules. And they should have additional training provided, with some test driving hours for some who are less experienced, works less years.

Yes there is increased responsibility if risk is increased then so too is the responsibility of a train driver. The main role of a train driver is safety focused so if risk is increased then the responsibility to ensure the safety of passengers is also increased.

More carriages means more passengers and more chances for there to be accidents. The responsibility to prevent accidents lies with the train driver so hence there is more responsibility on the train driver the greater the risk. Yes increased training must be provided but training does negate the fact the train driver is taking on more responsibility.

As for things like rosters that's where the advantages of unions come in unhappy with roster changes in the workplace, unionise and ensure no roster is changed without worker involvement and agreement. I'm of this attitude of because my job is a race to the bottom and my employer is enaging in Victorian work practices everyone else's should be too.

• Roll on autonomous buses and trains

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Rightio, back on topic about Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland please.

This isn't the place for an in-depth discussion about train drivers and their unions.

Advertisement