Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

nightster1 wrote: »
    is not "moderation" the way to go?

I would have thought so anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

ted1 wrote: »
    Companies tend to fix exchange rates so the current one isn't relevant,

There's a higher wage here, higher VAT, higher energy costs , overall the costs are higher here the may make slightly higher profit here but I wouldn't say much more

Don't be rediculous...they're robbing the public blind, just like all the other retailers in the country and making a fortune at their expense :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

hollands wrote: »
    I shop in Dealz sometimes so I'm no snob but just a cautionary note when comparing prices on some items. There was a tv programme about Poundland not so long ago where they compared items like Nutella and other items that were flashed 30% or 40% extra free. The Nutella was a smaller jar produced exclusively for Poundland,as were other items, so not comparable. They also have multi packs of things like crisps that have 5 in them rather then the usual 6.The programme also pointed out that branded goods were prominently displayed near the front of the shop but they had a lot of tatty stuff also.
    Still worth selective shopping though!

I saw that documentary and it really opened my eyes to the way these shops operate.

I, too, shop in Dealz every week..just for a few bits...but I now understand how they work.

You'll notice a lot of stuff is in slightly smaller packaging and like you said, things like KitKats or Tayto will say 4+2 free.
    But think about it, KitKats and Tayto don't usually come in 4 packs so by saying you're getting two free makes it look a bargain, but really you're getting a 6-pack which is what is sold normally.

I bought a 5 pack of Polos last week and noticed the packs were slightly smaller than the standard ones but it didn't matter; it was actually still a bargain to get a 5-pack of Polos rather than paying around 90cent for a normal roll in the shops.

I think it's great that Dealz stock stuff you can't get anywhere else.
    I was looking for Arm and Hammer Toothpaste for years but it's not sold anywhere here. That was until I spotted it in Dealz...full size tube too!

They also sell those Smith's Scampi and Bacon Fries Multipacks which is great because I'd have thought they're quite hard to find.

All in all, it's a great little shop, doing very well and you can pick up bargains once you know and understand how the shop works.

Oh and it is called Poundland in the UK..Dealz here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 447 ✭✭Pen.Island

Poundland Uncovers did a programme on these shops before. Shows that they aren't actually bargains and work out dearer than other shops.

i.e When you see 2 cans of coke for 1 euro. You're like "Cans of coke are 1 euro! I'm getting them half price!", but you can get 18 cans for 7.50 in Tesco.

EDIT: Didn't read the thread, Poundland documentary already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Pen.Island wrote: »
    Poundland Uncovers did a programme on these shops before. Shows that they aren't actually bargains and work out dearer than other shops.

i.e When you see 2 cans of coke for 1 euro. You're like "Cans of coke are 1 euro! I'm getting them half price!", but you can get 18 cans for 7.50 in Tesco.

EDIT: Didn't read the thread, Poundland documentary already mentioned.

As always it's buyer beware. However, the example you give is poor. If you're buying like for like, 2 cans of coke, tesco will be a lot dearer, and most of the time you can't get 18 cans for 7.50, that's an offer for a few days at best.

Let's take a real world example with real prices from their websites this afternoon.

Dealz 3 cans of diet coke 1.49 So you can get 6 cans for 2.98
    Tesco 4 cans of diet coke 2.99

So you can get two extra cans for the same price and have a cent over in change.

I sometimes wonder about some of the posts (not accusing anyone in particular!) It's almost as if they don't want the likes of Dealz to come in.
    Dealz has some good and bad points, but if you go in and keep your eyes open you can save a lot. Unlike tesco where products are mispriced regularly. Too often one price comes up on the till and it doesn't match the price on the floor. That hasn't happened to me in Dealz.

• Advertisement

We always have 6 cans of Coke available for €2.99 in our shop.

As always it's buyer beware. However, the example you give is poor. If you're buying like for like, 2 cans of coke, tesco will be a lot dearer, and most of the time you can't get 18 cans for 7.50, that's an offer for a few days at best.

Let's take a real world example with real prices from their websites this afternoon.

Dealz 3 cans of diet coke 1.49 So you can get 6 cans for 2.98
    Tesco 4 cans of diet coke 2.99

So you can get two extra cans for the same price and have a cent over in change.

I sometimes wonder about some of the posts (not accusing anyone in particular!) It's almost as if they don't want the likes of Dealz to come in.
    Dealz has some good and bad points, but if you go in and keep your eyes open you can save a lot. Unlike tesco where products are mispriced regularly. Too often one price comes up on the till and it doesn't match the price on the floor. That hasn't happened to me in Dealz.

Well are we looking to save money or are we looking to save money compared to the same item somewhere else?

You say the "tesco items" are on offer but dealz don't have them at that price forever either?

Tescos price for 8 cans of coke is 4 euro. That's 50c a can, they same as Dealz.

I also see people, for example. "3 packs of bacon fries for 1.49, you pay that for one in a pub!" Well you're not eating them in a pub. It's the same with drink in an off licence.

How do you think they're making profit?

Exactly, I'm sure you can have a great night out with your mates at Dealz and get the drink served to you in an off licence.

And while we're on the subject I'm sure that Dealz are there on a Sunday morning to supply you your paper or a litre of milk at 11pm.

Well are we looking to save money or are we looking to save money compared to the same item somewhere else?

You say the "tesco items" are on offer but dealz don't have them at that price forever either?

Tescos price for 8 cans of coke is 4 euro. That's 50c a can, they same as Dealz.

I also see people, for example. "3 packs of bacon fries for 1.49, you pay that for one in a pub!" Well you're not eating them in a pub. It's the same with drink in an off licence.

How do you think they're making profit?

We,re looking to save money. I personally don't drink coke but I've friends that do. We've been out to get supplies for a late night at the office more than once. buying 3 single cans of coke in Tesco has always been more expensive than 3 single cans at Dealz. As far as I'm aware they've always been 1.49 for 3 cans at that shop.

Buying items in bulk works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't but on smaller qualities Dealz beats Tesco's and Dunnes almost all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

It's actually 6 packs of bacon and scampi fries mixed for €1.49. That is a real bargain. They've had them for at least a year at that price.

I was in there on Thursday.
    Bought aquafresh kids toothpaste (normally €2.49 in my local super valu) for €1.49 so I stocked up. Bought Colgate whitening type toothpaste for €1.49 also. Normally anywhere between €2 and €3.50 in my local supermarket.

Bought lots of other bits that are significantly cheaper also.

On top of that I had a €3 off voucher and they gave me another one after I paid for the next time.

Dealz are great.
    Yes I'm sure there are some items smaller than the norm but I haven't come across them.

All the toothpastes and toiletries etc I bought on Thursday were the standard size.

• Advertisement

Lots of Hostility to Dealz from certain boards posters. You do know they're as Irish As Tesco:D

Lots of Hostility to Dealz from certain boards posters. You do know they're as Irish As Tesco:D

Couldn't care less what nationality they are as long as I save. ;)

Who cares if there Irish or not. Their stores employ a lot of people and you can save quite a bit by shopping there. Needed a new toothbrush so stopped into one last night. €1.49 for one that costs €3.50 in Tesco. Grabbed the DVD of Hick for €1.49 while it's still €13.99 in Xtravision.

Who cares if there Irish or not. Their stores employ a lot of people and you can save quite a bit by shopping there. Needed a new toothbrush so stopped into one last night. €1.49 for one that costs €3.50 in Tesco. Grabbed the DVD of Hick for €1.49 while it's still €13.99 in Xtravision.

You can get it for free in other places. ;)

You can get it for free in other places. ;)

I'm not a thieving scumbag and as such like to pay for the things that entertain me.

I'm not a thieving scumbag and as such like to pay for the things that entertain me.

:)

I don't but some people seem to. Dealz is very good value in various areas. Books, CD, some foodstuffs, and all kinds of other stuff. They are much cheaper most of the time even when you take into account funny packaging, Different weights and sizes and odd 50 percent extra free offers.

However, you get comments like 'will they be open at 11 pm for milk?' and even more bizarre the defense of tesco and how it's as cheap but you have to buy a lot more for the same savings.

I've sympathy for the small Irish shopkeeper as times are tough but this is a bargain alert column, if there's a bargain to be had we'll want to know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tesco cans of coke at 50c each are an offer - they're not the standard price. The last few months tesco have had one of the multi packs on offer that works out at 50c, but the multi pack size has varied.

I've no doubt dealz make a profit. Some stuff doesn't work out cheaper, or match the quality of aldi, but they do have a lot of stuff you can't get elsewhere (like vimto - the best cordial ever!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Tesco cans of coke at 50c each are an offer - they're not the standard price. The last few months tesco have had one of the multi packs on offer that works out at 50c, but the multi pack size has varied.

I've no doubt dealz make a profit. Some stuff doesn't work out cheaper, or match the quality of aldi, but they do have a lot of stuff you can't get elsewhere (like vimto - the best cordial ever!).

Did not know they did Vimto, I shall be visiting my nearest Dealz at my earliest convenience. Need to make it quite strong to be nice though.

Yes they are great at stocking stuff we don't get, like Vimto, Wonka-branded stuff, Frazzles, Seabrook's, lots of Thornton's pouches of sweets and toffees I've never seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

More fool you

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    More fool you

Yeah, I'm a real fool considering that I believe that I should pay for films, music, books, games, etc. People who steal all their entertainment are scumbags. There's no other word for them

Yeah, I'm a real fool considering that I believe that I should pay for films, music, books, games, etc. People who steal all their entertainment are scumbags. There's no other word for them

Sounds like you need to shop in Dealz then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

In your opinion.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    In your opinion.

It's not so much my opinion as it is common fact. People who refuse to pay for their entertainment are scum. I bet if someone came into your work and expected you to do it for free you'd be annoyed.

It's not so much my opinion as it is common fact. People who refuse to pay for their entertainment are scum. I bet if someone came into your work and expected you to do it for free you'd be annoyed.

Ah heeor, leave it owwwt! I have Saorview!

So it's just entertainment stealers that are scum? :rolleyes:

Browsing boards while working makes you a scumbag if everyone followed your ethos!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Overprice things and people won't pay.

Back to Dealz, I do love the 10 mini rolls for €1,49. Go through a lot of them :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Gonna go to Dealz in a few days, hoping there's a good collection of Dog Togs/Treats as there usually is.

• Advertisement

If you all love Dealz so muchthen you'll explode with joy if Home Bargains ever open in the Republic.

Advertisement