Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Just rang GMHD, nice guys! Basically said that 930 was as good as I would do and they couldn't do better!

Thats a shame. They beat all my other quotes last year by about €300

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ofcork wrote: »
    Age 48
    car 2l diesel avensis 2012
    full licence no points/claims
    renewal 756 last year 735 rsa through boi
    a few quotes ive gotten
    769 allianz
    861 kennco
    864 axa
    917 Zurich
    1205 asgard
    2424 aig

That's bonkers....

Try some brokers, AA or actual private brokers as I'd definitely be calling more....

How many years no claims?

Bad area? Obviously no need to tell as personal but could this be a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Car type and engine: 2008 BMW 325i coupe (3L petrol)
    Years driving: 4 NCB discount, 8 years total
    Any claims: No
    Price and provider: Previous Yr - GMHD Broker, RSA - €1,000
    Other: Mum (20+ years driving, no claims) and girlfriend (5 years driving, no claims) as named drivers
    Renewal: €830 as a new policy through GMHD with RSA

Quotes:
    123.ie No quote
    Chill (RSA) €1045
    25 Plus No quote
    Axa €1215
    BOI €882
    AIG €917
    AA €1430
    First Ireland €1776
    Aviva €1859
    Blue Insurance €2304

Initially was quoted €1,100 as renewal through GMHD with RSA but after calling them and having a chat about the other quotes, they checked the quote as a new policy and got down to €830 so sticking with GMHD. Chatted with Kevin there and couldn't recommend them any higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

That's bonkers....

Try some brokers, AA or actual private brokers as I'd definitely be calling more....

How many years no claims?

Bad area? Obviously no need to tell as personal but could this be a reason?

Just tried aa 750,123.ie 1554:) broker in cork 645 my area is ok not bad full no claims driving since 1998,just on chill website fully comp for 525 with ivernia up to1424 asgard looking like that 525 is going to be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

blade1 wrote: »
    You should be able to do better than that.

Managed to get it for 470, have house insurance, second car and health insurance with Irish life.
    Got herselfs down from 570 to 460 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just tried aa 750,123.ie 1554:) broker in cork 645 my area is ok not bad full no claims driving since 1998,just on chill website fully comp for 525 with ivernia up to1424 asgard looking like that 525 is going to be it.

That's a huge improvement.

It's such a mess and it's a cartels set up.

They have us over a barrel.

It's mad as you would be lowest risk and haven't any claims and even the car isn't a 10 year old death trap..... Cough cough....

I'd still try few other brokers including in any county just to see.

Will try a couple don't think I will do better than the 525 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Car type and engine: 2011 VW Golf 1.6 TDI
    Years driving: 7 NCB discount
    Price and provider: 123.ie - €530
    Other: Spouse Full Irish License(4 years driving, no claims) as named driver
    Renewal: €800

FBD: 633
    AXA: 960
    THEAA: 1095
    123: 745
    25plus: 3000
    Allianz: 878
    Liberty: No Quote
    Chill: No Quote
    AIG: No Quote
    AnPost: 706
    BlueInsur: 1135
    Boxymo: No Quote
    Kennco: 867
    Zurich: No Quote
    Campionins: 837
    Aviva: 1359
    Sheridan: 765
    AIB: 1005
    XSDirect: No Quote
    CoverInAClick No Quote
    BOI: No Quote

I've had 7 years no claim bonus and 123.ie give me a 6 year no claims bonus cert, that's shocking and fraudulent as far as I can see!
    There are loads of Car Insurers that take into account up to 9 years AND that's not even relevant, they can't make up whatever number they want, I have 7 years NCB.
    In the last 8 years I paid 6500e for insurances and never benefited once from it.
    A friend just paid in Switzerland 250e for 1st insurance and their salaries are triple at least it's just crazy...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

33, Provisional, FTB. Haven't bought a car yet but here's some 'quotes' I've gotten, rounded down

Axa - Refused to quote any car
    Alliance - Refused to quote any car
    AnPost - Refused to quote any car

2017 Auto Micra
    AA - 3300
    123.ie - 2500
    Chill - No quote
    XSDirect - 3500

2020 Corolla HB Auto
    AA - 3500
    123.ie 1700
    XSDirect - 5100

2020 Seat Arona/C3 Aircross
    123.ie - 1500
    AA - No quote
    XSDirect - 4000

2019 Arona/Aircross/Corolla had similar prices above on 123.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The missus just got a renewal quote on a Dacia duster, €395 fully comp from the local broker. Afaik it was €360 last year.

• Advertisement

53, full licence, no points, had a total loss claim (30k car, 23k payout, car 7 months old at time of claim) last February.
    Now:
    Honda Civic saloon 191
    1.0ltr
    27k value
    Spouse as named driver, no points.
    fully comp renewal with step back and ncd protection.
    quote was 434, rang up had a little moan about that quote being almost 20% increase on year before (376), ended up paying 396 with Aviva (been with Aviva for 7 years now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Car type and engine: 2010 Audi A6
    Years driving: 6 NCB discount
    Price and provider: 123.ie - €527
    Other: Spouse Full Irish License (15 years driving, no claims) as named driver
    Renewal: €561

Driving 19 years, no accidents, no claims, no points. Drives me mad that I only have "6 years NCD".

Renewal up €34 from 2019 but could be worse.

Axa: 686
    Liberty: 818
    Its4women: 552 (standard cover) & 606 (Xtra cover).

Going to shop around at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

AIG qouted me 343 FC on line , i checked by ringing if two noted incidents on my 7 year ncb would be a factor ( two incidents where someone hit me and 0 claims occured on my policy )

they said no its fine .

once i paid and they got the NCB certs they put it up by 50 euro else f*ck off , as i had two claims .

i called them and said they are 0 euro claims with me not a fault in either.

then they said , ah you have 6 years driving license not 7 so the charge stands .
    ( got license in june 2013 )

SO - they make it up as they go along , in any way to make more money and i will be complaining to Ombuds about them .

w@nkers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

33, Provisional, FTB. Haven't bought a car yet but here's some 'quotes' I've gotten, rounded down

Axa - Refused to quote any car
    Alliance - Refused to quote any car
    AnPost - Refused to quote any car

2017 Auto Micra
    AA - 3300
    123.ie - 2500
    Chill - No quote
    XSDirect - 3500

2020 Corolla HB Auto
    AA - 3500
    123.ie 1700
    XSDirect - 5100

2020 Seat Arona/C3 Aircross
    123.ie - 1500
    AA - No quote
    XSDirect - 4000

2019 Arona/Aircross/Corolla had similar prices above on 123.ie.

Liberty are usually decent with new drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Got cover for my mother in law recently with An post, underwritten by FBD. 2015 1.2l micra, full ncd, herself and one named driver, fully comp with full ncd protection, €380 all in. She will be 74 in april. Cheapest I could get by over €100 incl her renewal with Allianz direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

DaDumTish wrote: »
    AIG qouted me 343 FC on line , i checked by ringing if two noted incidents on my 7 year ncb would be a factor ( two incidents where someone hit me and 0 claims occured on my policy )

they said no its fine .

once i paid and they got the NCB certs they put it up by 50 euro else f*ck off , as i had two claims .

i called them and said they are 0 euro claims with me not a fault in either.

then they said , ah you have 6 years driving license not 7 so the charge stands .
    ( got license in june 2013 )

SO - they make it up as they go along , in any way to make more money and i will be complaining to Ombuds about them .

w@nkers

393 sounds pretty good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Hi Guys I am just curious I am driving 15 years never had much in the way of insurance Hikes. I recently had to use one of the perks on my Insurance which was their AA rescue service ( i didnt even know i had it but my mechanic said nearly everyone has it) Alas I rang the insurance company and sure enough im entitled to 4 AA call outs a year. I have never ever availed of any insurance perk before, can i assume my insurance will go up now on next renewal since i have cost them a few hundred euro (2 AA call out invoices :( )
    1 x AA Tow Truck to Garage 20 Miles
    1 x AA Call out Road side assistance
    I asked the Insurance guy on the phone would my policy be affected he said no but i have my doubts:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Hi Guys I am just curious I am driving 15 years never had much in the way of insurance Hikes. I recently had to use one of the perks on my Insurance which was their AA rescue service ( i didnt even know i had it but my mechanic said nearly everyone has it) Alas I rang the insurance company and sure enough im entitled to 4 AA call outs a year. I have never ever availed of any insurance perk before, can i assume my insurance will go up now on next renewal since i have cost them a few hundred euro (2 AA call out invoices :( )
    1 x AA Tow Truck to Garage 20 Miles
    1 x AA Call out Road side assistance
    I asked the Insurance guy on the phone would my policy be affected he said no but i have my doubts:rolleyes:

Wont effect your insurance ,never has with me,surprised they use the AA who normally will put some effort into fixing it by the side of the road unlike the local garage who normally just turns up and saids ill tow it and don't even look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Good News!

Licence: Full Irish 9 years
    NCB:10 years
    Car: 2005 Volvo s40

Without named driver: 450

With brother as named driver (42 years old) : 413

Insurer: 123, tpft policy. Sold.

There is a bit of a waiting going on as my policy is due on 28/03 and my 3 penalty points are to be gone on 28/02.

So I can't buy it now online, but will try to phone them tomorrow to see if this can be bought over the phone as the points will be gone by the time the cover is in force.

Alternatively stay quiet for a month and just buy online.

I might just go for the second option reading it again.

Current insurer is Allianz, not sure what they will come up with, but I doubt the can match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Your age: 37
    Car Type and year: 2011 Ford Focus Saloon 1.6D (value ~€5k max, changed from 131 Mondeo mid-year)
    Driving: 18 years, 10 years NCB
    Fully Comprehensive
    Paid last year : €515 Aviva
    Renewal quote: €638 Aviva (offerred €555 when I called and pushed them on it)
    Paid this year: €492 AIG

Both myself and my wife clearly moved out of whatever Aviva's target market is with our recent renewals.... I've been with Aviva for ~5 years and up until this year their renewal quote could never be beaten.
    My wife was also with them for the past 3 years or so, so we had multicar discount. Wife's renewal in Oct went way out of whack so we moved her to 'It's4Women' for a good saving.

It's laughable to see the way you reach a point with an insurer where, despite no claims or any major changes, they just decided, "meh, couldn't really be bothered whether or not you stay with us".... or they just think we had been renewing blindly every year and thought this was their opportunity to 'do' us. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Liberty are usually decent with new drivers.

Liberty gave me 2k quote on the Arona 1L petrol Auto...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Liberty gave me 2k quote on the Arona 1L petrol Auto...

To be fair some of your quotes are very good for someone with a provisional, I got a quote of €3,000 on my 1 liter Golf with a full license as a new driver when I was 26. Fortunately it went to €1,000 with 1yr NCB.

I'm surprised any provisional driver would see anything below €3,000.

Went with chill couldn't do better rang boi the girl said she'd pass it on to their complaints team the renewal gone up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Your Age: 35
    Car type and engine: 2008 BMW 325i 3.0 petrol
    years driving: 15
    any claims: no
    Price and provider Allianz €680 fully comp and all the extras

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Your age: 36, Spouse 36
    Car Type and year: 2007 Toyota Corolla Verso
    Driving: 15 years, 10 years NCB
    Fully Comprehensive, fully protected NCB

Paid last year : €583 Cornmarket - Allianz providing the cover
    Renewal quote: €678 Cornmarket, 632 after call - Allianz providing the cover

Best Quote: €483 Allianz

Other quotes
    AA - 748
    It's4women.ie - over 1000
    An Post - 718
    Chill - 598

I'll be going directly with Allianz, same as my Cornmarket policy but no middle man, and 150 quid cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Your Age: 37
    Car type and engine: Renault Fluence 1.5 diesel
    Years driving: 16 years (14 full licence)
    any claims: no claims, no points
    Price and provider: just under 650 with AIG (fully comp, full no claims protection etc included. All the bells and whistles).. Was 580ish 3rd party and 620 without no claims protection.

Have spent 10 odd years with 123.ie before this. They offered 900ish this year. Didn't bother to contact them at all about the renewal to see if they would even try to keep my business. They did not. A text or two telling me it was due was all. No one actually rang to try. Seriously bad business. Then have the audacity to send me a survey on how we did???? lul.
    Allianz also offered around the 650 mark. Most other places were 850+

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Have a few policies with QuoteDevil for years, quoted me 485 and dropped to 455 over the phone.
    Commercial vehicle, wife named driver, both have private cars, full clean licence, no penalty points or claims between us.

Chill wanted 761
    Axa 394

Waiting on a couple of call backs.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Paid about €350 last year fully comp.
    Got renewal quote this year of €580. Rang AA and they knocked off €60.
    Local broker got me €500, waiting on retest for NCT due to the lift fiasco as I was told that could have a bearing on my quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Got my renewal in from Axa today. Gone up by around €250 from last year to €1020 on a 2010 Octavia vrs, with a windscreen claim from 2016 settled at €222.50. Price also includes NCB protection and lost key protection.

If I go onto Axa website and get a quote with all the same details it gives me a quote of €740. Is anything stopping me from just purchasing the online quote and posting in all the relevant documents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

markc1184 wrote: »
    Got my renewal in from Axa today. Gone up by around €250 from last year to €1020 on a 2010 Octavia vrs, with a windscreen claim from 2016 settled at €222.50. Price also includes NCB protection and lost key protection.

If I go onto Axa website and get a quote with all the same details it gives me a quote of €740. Is anything stopping me from just purchasing the online quote and posting in all the relevant documents?

If you are asked who your current insurer is and you answer AXA, I don't see why not

Advertisement