Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Hunt season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Fair enough. "Why wait" would be my thinking on it. Run him in the KG this year, and find out whether he relishes the trip or doesn't quite see it out. That way you're giving the horse the most time possible to find his chosen division, and try dominate it. If he sticks to 2m this year, it's either going to end with him winning at Chelt, and making it incredibly tough to step him in trip in future, or end with him losing and it likely being somewhat of a wasted year.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Huntley wrote: »
    Drop Out Joe has some favorable conditions tomorrow, he's due to win one soon off that mark. First time cheek-pieces hopefully keep his mind on the job and eradicate any jumping errors.

Top Man! Got on @ 13/2..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Waiting for the Mullins camp to unleash a horse by the name of Townsend. Harold Kirk seemed very very sweet on him when he bought him

Zubayr of Paul Nicholl's also very well touted, closely related to Zarkandar and Zarkava. Got into a bidding war with Kirk over him

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Anyone going to the Open Meeting this year at Cheltenham?
    Ive been four times in the past and it is a terrific meeting, but looks like Ill be watching from the couch this year.
    Theres nothin like waking up on a crisp and bright Friday morning in the hotel, down to the restaurant for the fry-up and a fresh look at the RP for the Day1 cards and all the latest news for Saturdays big one. Then, winter coat on, off on the bus to Prestbury Park, a look at the track while quiet to bring back all those memories of Festivals past where you roared them up the Hill.
    Each day has its attraction - Friday is Countrymans day with the Cross Country.
    I went to the field to watch it one year (it was like a bog) but wont be doing it again. Saturday of course is the Paddy Power Gold Cup - a great way to christen the new season proper with 2nd season chasers against some of the battle hardened veterans. Theres a big crowd on the Saturday but still reasonably comfortable getting around. Always great heading into town afterwards too with O' Neills being the centre of it all for the craic.

Ahhh the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Anyone going to the Open Meeting this year at Cheltenham?
    Ive been four times in the past and it is a terrific meeting, but looks like Ill be watching from the couch this year.
    Theres nothin like waking up on a crisp and bright Friday morning in the hotel, down to the restaurant for the fry-up and a fresh look at the RP for the Day1 cards and all the latest news for Saturdays big one. Then, winter coat on, off on the bus to Prestbury Park, a look at the track while quiet to bring back all those memories of Festivals past where you roared them up the Hill.
    I went to the field to watch it one year (it was like a bog) but wont be doing it again. Saturday of course is the Paddy Power Gold Cup - a great way to christen the new season proper with 2nd season chasers against some of the battle hardened veterans. Theres a big crowd on the Saturday but still reasonably comfortable getting around. Always great heading into town afterwards too with O' Neills being the centre of it all for the craic.

Ahhh the memories

Green as a Gremlin reading that. Never been to an NH meeting, just the Curragh and Leopardstown for flat meetings before I was into racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Been to nov meet 7 times but cannot go this year as the dates don't work so heading to oct meet instead for first time next week. To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

Ahhh the memories

Nicely described supreme.

Bit of WPM related news today coming from a stable tour on ATR, Graham Wylie being interviewed by Chapman and I saw some quotes from Rich Ricci aswell. Season is nearly upon us. Some of it contradictory like Ricci saying Vautour will reappear at Ascot and WPM saying Punchestown. I'd say it'll probably be Ascot, WPM has others for the John Durkan. Faugheen will reappear in the Morgiana and then both Vautour and Faugheen will be at Kempton on Stephen's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

See an article on Racingpost website that the Rooneys have taken all their animals out of Mc Cains yard,some sucker punch for him, who'll get the horses now? Ben Pauling has a horse or 2 of theirs and Alan King too i think. King'd be the man to go too if it were up to me but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I see the Rooney's have removed all their horses from McCain's, should have done that sooner. Big blow for McCain but he's an average trainer, same tactics for nearly every horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

See an article on Racingpost website that the Rooneys have taken all their animals out of Mc Cains yard,some sucker punch for him, who'll get the horses now? Ben Pauling has a horse or 2 of theirs and Alan King too i think. King'd be the man to go too if it were up to me but we'll see.

Rumours going round that some at least will be crossing the Irish sea. We shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

50 horses is some number. What does he expect, it's a numbers game and they have had little return so far as big race/saturday winners. Egg n spoon races mid week not gonna cut it. Never mind the fortunes he was blowing at the sales. Business is business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

They did seem to be paying a lot for average horses. But they are not alone in that respect. Big blow for McCain. Was looking at their win rate over jumps last 4 seasons and was dropping the more horses they had. Explains why it might pay to have them split into 3 or 4 yards. Maybe they could have left him 10 or 12 and sent the rest to 3 other trainers rather than pull the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Nicely described supreme.

Bit of WPM related news today coming from a stable tour on ATR, Graham Wylie being interviewed by Chapman and I saw some quotes from Rich Ricci aswell. Season is nearly upon us. Some of it contradictory like Ricci saying Vautour will reappear at Ascot and WPM saying Punchestown. I'd say it'll probably be Ascot, WPM has others for the John Durkan. Faugheen will reappear in the Morgiana and then both Vautour and Faugheen will be at Kempton on Stephen's Day.

I'd be very surprised if Nichols Canyon doesn't end up in the World Hurdle next March despite what Willie and Wylie are saying now.

Valseur Lido being mentioned as a Grand National horse did make me sit up and take note!

The £1 million bonus that Kauto Star won in 2006/07 has been reintroduced for any horse that wins the Betfair, King George and the Gold Cup. Will be interesting to see who will target it. Perhaps only a handful capable: Vautour, Don Cossack, Coneygree, Saphir du Rheu, Don Poli...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Would love to see a few of those turning up at Haydock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Paul Nicholls doing a Q&A on Twitter for BF tonight.
    Curious if the Kauto Star £1m changes his plans at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Paul Nicholls doing a Q&A on Twitter for BF tonight.
    Curious if the Kauto Star £1m changes his plans at all.

Anyone see the fall Michael Nolan took today?

He was out cold and motionless afterwards and it looked seriously worrying. He regained consciousness and is being treated for an arm injury.

Thankfully its not as serious as it originally looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Hopefully Don Cossack puts in a decent performance today at Punchestown. Roi Du Mee has an excellent record in that race though.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

nice school around for the Don - should mop up all around him in Ireland this year

on another note, when is Jim Culloty going to train another winner - I certainly wouldn't want to be paying him to train one for me

great to see Meade get a winner in the bumper - could do with a few half decent prospects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Andalucia wrote: »
    nice school around for the Don - should mop up all around him in Ireland this year

on another note, when is Jim Culloty going to train another winner - I certainly wouldn't want to be paying him to train one for me

great to see Meade get a winner in the bumper - could do with a few half decent prospects

Wouldn't be so sure with Vautour, Don Poli, Djakadam and Road To Riches around. 3 mile chase division in Ireland is unreal this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sisyphus Mark II

Think Coneygree is a big price for the Gold Cup @ 8-1. Best novice since Denman. Agree Mullins has some team this year! Wonder what the odds of him winning Gold Cup as trainer. Also will Vautour likely to stay the gold cup trip??

Also will Vautour likely to stay the gold cup trip??

I am convinced he'll stay. He'll certainly stay in the King George. He stayed 2m4 around Cheltenham quite emphatically, nearly could have gone around again. His pedigree suggests he'll stay and he's always shaped like one to me. A lot of people say he has too much toe or he's too exuberant for a Gold Cup. I don't think he's that much toe at all actually (not that it should necessarily stop a horse staying anyway), he won a Supreme because of his exceptional jumping and stamina, not his superior speed. Western Boy had him nearly found out for toe at Punchestown before that. I don't think you *have* to be a boat to win a Gold Cup, Kicking King and Kauto Star good recent examples. Could be wrong, just my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sisyphus Mark II

I am convinced he'll stay. He'll certainly stay in the King George. He stayed 2m4 around Cheltenham quite emphatically, nearly could have gone around again. His pedigree suggests he'll stay and he's always shaped like one to me. A lot of people say he has too much toe or he's too exuberant for a Gold Cup. I don't think he's that much toe at all actually (not that it should necessarily stop a horse staying anyway), he won a Supreme because of his exceptional jumping and stamina, not his superior speed. Western Boy had him nearly found out for toe at Punchestown before that. I don't think you *have* to be a boat to win a Gold Cup, Kicking King and Kauto Star good recent examples. Could be wrong, just my thoughts.

You could be right. I shouldn't really second guess Willy anyway. He knows what he's at. Just questioned it cause Dams sire is only a 9 furlong animal. Did Sir Des Champs stay the Gold Cup trip?
    Mullins is some man at finding superstars. The UK trainers are slipping behind in that department!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

big year for Mullins with his band of chasers - without doubt Mullins has been historically weak in chases given his dominance in hurdles and bumpers - last year was the first year that he won decent races with high class novices since Florida Pearl was doing his thing

still think the Don is a class animal and would put it up to any of Willies gang - given the extent of the Gigginstown operation, they're not going to be rushing to see the Don, Roads to Riches or Dom Poli take each other on - should mean a few trips to the UK before Cheltenham for a few of them

You could be right. I shouldn't really second guess Willy anyway. He knows what he's at. Just questioned it cause Dams sire is only a 9 furlong animal. Did Sir Des Champs stay the Gold Cup trip?
    Mullins is some man at finding superstars. The UK trainers are slipping behind in that department!!!

Yeah the dam's sire sired Dom Alco who is the sire of Neptune Collonges and of course Vautour and Sir Des Champs both by Robin des Champs and I do think Sir Des stayed in that Gold Cup, he was slightly hampered 2 out but on soft ground he went very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Final furlong podcast worth a listen this week, Patrick Mullins on it.

Annie to the Mares. Vautor, Don Poli, Djakadam and Vroum Vroum Mag all aimed at Golf Cup , none will go to Haydock for the Betfair.

Ricci pushing for Faugheen to go to Kempton at Xmas.

Paddy seems very sweet on Limini for the mares novice at Chelt. Also thinks Yorkhill is the best of last seasons bumper crop

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

I am convinced he'll stay. He'll certainly stay in the King George.

I agree he's made for the King George. Wouldn't back him in the GC though as it's the ultimate test and the quality of this years field is unreal with classy proven stayers. Hope they all make it. GL

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

Top Man! Got on @ 13/2..
    He was value for more than the winning distance, was about 5 lengths clear four out with no company. Handicapper took account of it and gave him 10lbs.

Little Jon has a decent claimer on tomorrow, should be well able to win off his mark if he is fit enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Huntley wrote: »
    He was value for more than the winning distance, was about 5 lengths clear four out with no company. Handicapper took account of it and gave him 10lbs.

Little Jon has a decent claimer on tomorrow, should be well able to win off his mark if he is fit enough.

One for the tracker, fiddled a few and ran out of steam in last couple of furlongs.

Advertisement