Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rubber bark chippings

• 28-07-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some coloured rubber bark chips for a play area in my garden and have searched high and low but can't find anywhere! Could anyone advise where I can buy please.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Tiles are also an option like the ones here, seen in most playgrounds.

http://www.playsafeireland.com/index.php/Safety-Tiles-Matting/safety-mats-and-tiles.html

or here

http://www.crumbrubber.ie/garden.html

I've seen rubber chips used with horses and they get very messey after a while, going all over the place and if the area beneath is soil they get very dirty and dusty too. it may be better to level the area and use matting of some sort. I would also worry about a young child ingesting the rubber chips and maby choking.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Thanks Oldtree. The area I plan on covering is already covered in bark chippings but they rot away so fast that it is costing me a fortune to keep it covered. I want to cover it in something that is more permanent and the rubber chips would be ideal. (Kids are too old to try eating eat) I did get a quote from crumb.ie but to be honest it was a little more than I thought and they sell by the ton! I was hoping someone had seen it by the bag load so that I could replace the bark a section at a time without having to shell out a fortune in the one go.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Composted bark will last longer than other bark products and tends to stick togeather a bit better after a wetting and is in smaller bits so dosnt blow away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tullys Nurseries in Ballyboughal,County Dublin sell the coloured rubber chipings in ton bags.They are made/recycled from old car tyres and then impregnated with a coloured dye.

They also sell ton bags of bark mulch too.

You will also get the rubber tiles cheaper in various builders providers too.

Thanks Guys, I will check these options out!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Oldtree wrote: »
    Tiles are also an option like the ones here, seen in most playgrounds.

http://www.playsafeireland.com/index.php/Safety-Tiles-Matting/safety-mats-and-tiles.html

or here

http://www.crumbrubber.ie/garden.html

I've seen rubber chips used with horses and they get very messey after a while, going all over the place and if the area beneath is soil they get very dirty and dusty too. it may be better to level the area and use matting of some sort. I would also worry about a young child ingesting the rubber chips and maby choking.

The trick with the rubber chips, is to put sand down first, then some mypec and then the chips themselves. If you dont use sand, just on top of grass, then its still quite a hard area.
    I agree that the chips do get stuck in the grooves of trainers and end up outside of the pit, but its not very much.
    I have mine enclosed with sleepers and very happy with as opposed to bark
    Cats dont dirty the rubber, like they do in bark

Youi can also buy large 1 x 1 meter rubber slabs that are nice and soft under foot.

Available in black,brown,green and grey too.

Pictures of 1 x 1 meter rubber pavers and also the coloured rubber chippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Bodhran

They have this rubber bark in Ashbrook Garden Centre which is about a mile outside Ashbourne heading towards Slane. Saw it there last Sunday.

Thanks Paddy147, pictures were very helpful. It seems crumb rubber are the main suppliers in Ireland and the bark is approx. €700 a ton so I may have to rethink this, it's a little more expensive than I thought!
    I have a garden shredder in the shed, I wonder if I shoved a few tyres into it would I get the same thing :D

Thanks for that info Bohran, I'll check them out on Monday.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement