Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for exact text and source of a particular historical quote

• 12-06-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,

I remember hearing a quote some years ago from someone fairly well known (not Irish as far as I know) alongs the lines of "If you want to know what a man's politics are/what shaped him, find out what was going on in the world/his world when he was 20 (years of age)".

I've tried googling the above and variations of it, but no luck so far.

I'm sure that I'm well off in terms of accuracy there, but sure that's why I'm here. Any help in giving me the correct text and speaker/author would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Don't know, but I remember reading that Americans who 'came of age' during a 'good' Republican or 'bad' Democratic Presidency are more likely to vote Republican, and those who came of age during a 'bad' Republican or 'good' Democratic Presidency are more likely to vote Democrat. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/04/a-democratic-age/309258/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sounds a bit Churchillian to me - on the lines of "If you're not Liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not Conservative when you're 35, you have no brain" - which WSC never said, although it is regularly attributed to him.

Advertisement