Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wireless Earphones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I got the Outlier Ones.
    The dropouts are absolutely ridiculous.

I've never had a single drop out from mine. I always use the clip but occasionally the unit still bounces around, I'd be surprised if it was the movement that caused it.

I also use them when vacuuming around the house and leave the phone in a different room without issue.

It may be one of these things that's down to the phones themselves as opposed to the accessory. I've had issues with bluetooth connections in cars before with certain phones which I had initially put down to limitations of the head unit, but with different phones those problems never occurred. Most recently I had a Samsung drop off from my head unit regularly, but after I broke that it never happened with the replacement, a Honor/Huawei.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

blastman wrote: »
    OK, I think I've found the problem, for me anyway. It's aptX, basically. If I turn off High Quality Audio in the bluetooth settings on my phone, voila! No dropouts.

Amazing. Working perfectly now!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ok they might be back on my list now. It was great reading that they had drop outs because it was saving me money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

For those who want to change this, the option was under Developer Options in the Note 9. The default for my Note 9 was SBC codec.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

OK, I think I've found the problem, for me anyway. It's aptX, basically. If I turn off High Quality Audio in the bluetooth settings on my phone, voila! No dropouts.

How do you do that with Android? Is it the settings for the specific device under Bluetooth settings or is there a global one? Thanks!

• Advertisement

How do you do that with Android? Is it the settings for the specific device under Bluetooth settings or is there a global one? Thanks!

It's in Developer Options. Google how to enable, it's fairly easy.

chrislad wrote: »

Thanks a mill. Is it the Bluetooth audio. Ldac codec playback quality one?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

As a test, I've just put in the ear buds and pressed play, currently paired with a old gen iPod. All good, no drops at all. The iPod is on the desk in front of me.

This is the same device I use when running, when I was running yesterday it was in and out all the time.

I've also turned off the 'Sound Check' option in the Audio settings to see if that makes a difference.

Test 2, I'm putting the iPod in my pocket while sitting down at the desk, let's see how this goes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

As a test, I've just put in the ear buds and pressed play, currently paired with a old gen iPod. All good, no drops at all. The iPod is on the desk in front of me.

This is the same device I use when running, when I was running yesterday it was in and out all the time.

I've also turned off the 'Sound Check' option in the Audio settings to see if that makes a difference.

Test 2, I'm putting the iPod in my pocket while sitting down at the desk, let's see how this goes.

That worked out grand.

Disconnected and paired to iPhone with the Sound Check option still on. No problems so far, will try phone on desk v phone in pocket next.

Right, so sitting stationary with the devices in close proximity seems to be working out well :)
    I'll test walking about in a while to see if this thread has lifted the curse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I connected to the device and went into it's Bluetooth settings and there was a tickbox for high quality sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

This was how it appeared on my phone (running Android 9). Each paired bluetooth device has a Settings icon, when you tap the icon on the Outlier, the attached screen appears.

This was how it appeared on my phone (running Android 9). Each paired bluetooth device has a Settings icon, when you tap the icon on the Outlier, the attached screen appears.

I'm running a Note 9 with Android Pie, and that High Quality Audio is not an option for me - Just Unpair, and on/off options for Audio, Calls, Contact Access.

Pter wrote: »
    I connected to the device and went into it's Bluetooth settings and there was a tickbox for high quality sound.

Cheers guys - this is the same as mine more or less (Oreo - moto phone) - found it under the specific device settings (under bluetooth). Thanks for the help!

I'm running a Note 9 with Android Pie, and that High Quality Audio is not an option for me - Just Unpair, and on/off options for Audio, Calls, Contact Access.

It might be under the developer options that somebody else posted above?

It might be under the developer options that somebody else posted above?

That was me. 😂

Just reiterating that not every flavour on android has the same settings.

I've used about 7 hours of this over the past day or so. No drops, even while cycling so happy out with them as a secondary headphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

loving the Creative, sound is top notch etc, a little confused how to you power them down.

safetyboy wrote: »
    loving the Creative, sound is top notch etc, a little confused how to you power them down.

Just put them back in the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Which specific creatives are ye using...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Just put them back in the case.

They also turn off after a few minutes themselves left out of the case which is handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

maximoose wrote: »
    Amazing. Working perfectly now!

Maybe got ahead of myself

Turning off high quality audio has improved the dropouts massively - but still there

Thinking I'll return them

My test yesterday evening was to walk connected to iPhone with no dropouts.
    So later will be running and I'll see what the dropouts are like....this is where I've experienced the most problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Does changing that setting affect the sound quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Love the creatives but its a bit of a hindrance to put them in the case to disconnect them if you have other devices using Bluetooth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

dulpit wrote: »
    Does changing that setting affect the sound quality?

Not to any great degree that I noticed, to be honest.

Ok, my on-going tests have established that it's not the Outlier Ones that are the issue.

When running, the iPod had a small bit of movement in my pocket, this was impacting the drops. When I wedged it into my pocket, there were no more drops.

I had the same iPod in my bag today while cycling and it was fairly good.

So either the headphones are sensitive to the connected device not being stationary, or the device itself is sensitive.
    But it looks like I've found a way to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Fair play to you BoomBap.

I'm now strongly considering spending €80 that I have no need whatsoever to spend!

Fair play to you BoomBap.

I'm now strongly considering spending €80 that I have no need whatsoever to spend!

Mine are the 25 euro ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mine are the 25 euro ones :)
    https://en.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-outlier-one

These them? Tempted to pick up a pair.. good for running obviously?

EDIT: Bah, hate shipping charges. Have a £8 voucher for Amazon so may price-check there.

EDIT 2: Handy.. look to be a version with 4.2 BT and 4GB internal memory: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Water-Resistant-Sweat-proof-Headphones-Microphone-Tangle-Free-Clear/dp/B07FPGQPS9?th=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Basq wrote: »
    https://en.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-outlier-one

These them? Tempted to pick up a pair.. good for running obviously?

EDIT: Bah, hate shipping charges. Have a £8 voucher for Amazon so may price-check there.

Yeah, pretty good and comfortable. It takes a minute or two for the control unit to settle into a sort of rhythm so you don't notice it moving, there's a clip for your collar. It also comes with secure tips to help keep them in your ear but I never even needed to give them a try as without them they're pretty snug.

Advertisement