Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old schooner

• 31-03-2017 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi
    I'm researching information about 3 Schooner type twin mast sail boats that were photographed in Donegal town Harbour around 1890.
    These beautiful boats that would have delivered goods to Irish ports during this period. There are some clues in the photos ..The name "preston" appears on one maybe this refers to where it was registered! Other name plates are illegible !
    There seems to be 3 similar boats in the harbour at the same time , were they part of a small fleet!
    Assuming the boats have long perished ,I would love to find a replica if anyone knows where I could see one.
    See photos attached.
    Any information about them would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hi
    I'm researching information .........
    There seems to be 3 similar boats in the harbour at the same time , were they part of a small fleet!
    ....Any information about them would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

They are fairly typical coastal trading vessels of the period. They are quite different in design (compare the sterns) and it is unlikely that they were a 'fleet'. Their use lasted longer on the west coast as a result of poor roads and no railways. There were several yards around the coast building vessels like these and some also came here from Glasgow. The Passage Dock Company in Cork had a huge output - google is your friend!
    PS Nice photos BTW -

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Check with Tyrells Arklow.

They built such craft.

nuac wrote: »
    Check with Tyrells Arklow.

They built such craft.

Yes, but the 'old' Tyrrells is gone for about 20 years. The present company has family ties but I don't know if they have records.
    There is a good site for their craft here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Yes, but the 'old' Tyrrells is gone for about 20 years. The present company has family ties but I don't know if they have records.
    There is a good site for their craft here

Thanks, that is a very impressive record
    Part of our marine history

I note that in 1963 Tyrells built a pilot boat for Limerick Harbour Commrs which was based at Cappa Pier Kilrush

Trying to track down references to some craft which were photographed at Cappa c 1890 including a paddle steamer, a small steam boat and a two masted schooner.

They may have been there for a regatta or similar event.

Trying to track down references to some craft which were photographed at Cappa c 1890 including a paddle steamer, a small steam boat and a two masted schooner.

Regattas were held there regularly I'd guess as it was a base for the Royal Western YC. Various Lords Dunraven were members along with many of the Limerick/Clare gentry. They have an interesting story on their 'right' to fly a defaced White Ensign, which never was withdrawn, unlike for e.g. that of the RStGYC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Thanks, that is a very impressive record
    Part of our marine history

I note that in 1963 Tyrells built a pilot boat for Limerick Harbour Commrs which was based at Cappa Pier Kilrush

Get in touch with the person who runs the https://irishwaterwayshistory.com/ blog. They love that historic stuff.

Advertisement