Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Area around Ikea

Options
  • 02-10-2019 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking at the new Decathlon store info and where its going, on to an area that was used as Ikeas overflow car park. Wouldnt have thought they'd (IKEA) would want to be making their car park smaller seeing as it gets fairly full at bust times.

Given that the whole area around is vacant land, are there any plans for any or all of that?Presumably there is if Deathlon didnt go in to one of those plots?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IKEA haven't used that carpark in maybe 5 years. Was a short term lease at the start.

The Metro tunnel boring portal is going to use quite a bit of the land to the South for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That whole corner plot I assume was originally to be some sort of retail park or other? Seems to have been done that way with the road in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Just looking at the new Decathlon store info and where its going, on to an area that was used as Ikeas overflow car park. Wouldnt have thought they'd (IKEA) would want to be making their car park smaller seeing as it gets fairly full at bust times.

Given that the whole area around is vacant land, are there any plans for any or all of that?Presumably there is if Deathlon didnt go in to one of those plots?

The view from the Ikea restaurant is really something special. Wicklow mountains nestled in the background alongside dumped rubbish in the foreground on the nearby estate. What a stunning juxtaposition !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hal3000 wrote: »
    The view from the Ikea restaurant is really something special. Wicklow mountains nestled in the background alongside dumped rubbish in the foreground on the nearby estate. What a stunning juxtaposition !

Your forgetting all the wild horses and scramblers running free!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Dublin City Council have some sort of a plan to move all their city depots into the area opposite IKEA. I'm unsure if that will improve the view or not. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

:D:D

well where do you expect the locals to dump their rubbish after ikea removed their recycling area

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is the land that the scrambler course is on DCC owned? They've got some stretch there, goes all the way down towards Musgraves and onto Ballymun

Never been in a Decathlon, what can we expect, are they along the lines of Sports Direct

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is the land that the scrambler course is on DCC owned? They've got some stretch there, goes all the way down towards Musgraves and onto Ballymun

Never been in a Decathlon, what can we expect, are they along the lines of Sports Direct

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Its an actual sports shop selling sporting equipment & accessories. Its not a clothes shops like sports direct, lifestyle & champion (if they even still exist). They do sell clothes for different sports & activities aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Always think that scene is a real embarrassment to the authorities. I would hate to live there and I think nobody should be forced to take social housing in such a kip either.

The mess by the Northpoint NCT centre is another sign that the authorities are lazy and impotent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OldGoat wrote: »
    Dublin City Council have some sort of a plan to move all their city depots into the area opposite IKEA. I'm unsure if that will improve the view or not. :)

That's it, the Super Depot is still in the Planning and Design stage.

• Advertisement

boombang wrote: »
    Always think that scene is a real embarrassment to the authorities. I would hate to live there and I think nobody should be forced to take social housing in such a kip either.

The mess by the Northpoint NCT centre is another sign that the authorities are lazy and impotent.

Caused by the people who live there. It seems to be a cultural trait as they seem to have the same issues not to far away down on the R139 (old N32) off the M50/M1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

neris wrote: »
    Caused by the people who live there. It seems to be a cultural trait as they seem to have the same issues not to far away down on the R139 (old N32) off the M50/M1

Christ the N32 is woeful isn’t it ? Imagine driving in from Dublin airport the first time along that strip ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Its an actual sports shop selling sporting equipment & accessories. Its not a clothes shops like sports direct, lifestyle & champion (if they even still exist). They do sell clothes for different sports & activities aswell

Bang on. Been in a few in France and they're quite a sight to see. A real sports shop selling a vast range of sports equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ollaetta wrote: »
    Bang on. Been in a few in France and they're quite a sight to see. A real sports shop selling a vast range of sports equipment.

100%.. it’s an actual sports shop with everything you need and I mean everything. Most ‘sports’ shops here now have very little sports equipment... most floor space is given over to sports fashion...

Decathlon is stocked with sports people in mind...

You can get everything from bikes, canoes, skiing equipment, equestrian gear, pop up and self assembly goal posts for soccer and rugby plus all the usual sports gear and fashion like anywhere...

Imagine a sports IKEA, it’s on a similar scale with EVERYTHING you can imagine sports wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Is the land that the scrambler course is on DCC owned?
    Fingal CoCo I believe.
    kceire wrote: »
    That's it, the Super Depot is still in the Planning and Design stage.
    O.T.
    Can I just say that every time I see your username I sing this to myself. :)
    K, C-eire, C-eire
    :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Hopefully burning down the neighbouring 5km and starting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

L1011 wrote: »
    IKEA haven't used that carpark in maybe 5 years.

I've used it myself last December when all of main parking was absolutely full. So I expect parking will be bad on busy weekends, especially once Decathlon opens and attracts even more people.

Strumms wrote: »
    100%.. it’s an actual sports shop with everything you need and I mean everything. Most ‘sports’ shops here now have very little sports equipment... most floor space is given over to sports fashion...

Decathlon is stocked with sports people in mind...

You can get everything from bikes, canoes, skiing equipment, equestrian gear, pop up and self assembly goal posts for soccer and rugby plus all the usual sports gear and fashion like anywhere...

Imagine a sports IKEA, it’s on a similar scale with EVERYTHING you can imagine sports wise.

Presumably when they open they will be selling kayaks? Theres none available on their Irish website but Id guess thats because its uneconomical to ship them here. Im intending on buying a kayak for next summer and local prices are pretty shocking, even decent second hand ones are €500+. How are they price wise, would I be right to say they are very competitive and do good sales from time to time? If so I think I'd hold off buying until they open. Also wondering if they would deliver such an item, the kayak will lay permanently on a lake shore and is not for going different places so I dont want to buy a roof rack to literally get it home and then never use again.

Also they're on record as opening in April 2020, is this still on schedule? Was up that way a few weeks back and didn't notice any construction activity.

The Decathlon Ireland website stuff comes from the same place the Decathlon UK stuff comes from. Its cheaper to order from UK site and get it sent to a parcel motel however I think a kayak might be a different story. If it was within travelling distance for you theyve a store in Belfast thats decentish
    Presumably when they open they will be selling kayaks? Theres none available on their Irish website but Id guess thats because its uneconomical to ship them here. Im intending on buying a kayak for next summer and local prices are pretty shocking, even decent second hand ones are €500+. How are they price wise, would I be right to say they are competitive and do good sales from time to time?

Also they're on record as opening in April 2020, is this still on schedule? Was up that way a few weeks back and didn't notice any construction activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

would love to see the Nightline guy trying to fit a kayak into a parcel motel :D

Can't wait for Decathalon, as most posts above say its a great sports shop rather than another clothes shop. everything you can think of, bikes, tennis rackets, golf clubs, tents, hiking gear, swimming gear etc etc...…
    Point to note though for anyone who hasn't been in one, they mainly have their own products although do stock some branded stuff. However, I have always found their own brand is of a really good quality, it's not your pennys muck.

• Advertisement

The Decathlon Ireland website stuff comes from the same place the Decathlon UK stuff comes from. Its cheaper to order from UK site and get it sent to a parcel motel however I think a kayak might be a different story. If it was within travelling distance for you theyve a store in Belfast thats decentish

yeah well the lake water will be pretty cold till about May as its running off nearby mountains so thankfully I'm not in any rush to buy now. Will hold off till Decathlon open and hope they have some sort of way of delivering a kayak to save me buying a roof rack or hiring a van just to transport it to its permanent home on the lake shore. Will check out prices on their UK site to get an idea of where they are positioned in the market but as it stands it wouldnt be hard to come in cheaper than what is available out there currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Presumably when they open they will be selling kayaks? Theres none available on their Irish website but Id guess thats because its uneconomical to ship them here. Im intending on buying a kayak for next summer and local prices are pretty shocking, even decent second hand ones are €500+. How are they price wise, would I be right to say they are very competitive and do good sales from time to time? If so I think I'd hold off buying until they open. Also wondering if they would deliver such an item, the kayak will lay permanently on a lake shore and is not for going different places so I dont want to buy a roof rack to literally get it home and then never use again.

They are listed as available to buy online but then you click the link you are redirected to a blank page... I’d imagine the cost of shipping would severely eat into their profit margins so maybe it’s a case of ‘having’ to walk in and buy in person when the store opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The area is fenced off now I think.

The area is fenced off now I think.

yeah saw the fencing but just couldnt see any heavy machinery on site. April 2020 is the proposed opening, its probably all pre-fab so will be thrown up in no time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

boombang wrote: »

LO****ingL. It wasn’t the authorities, who have invested millions regenerating the area, that turned it into a kip. It was the locals. The state of the place is a reflection on those that live there.

Advertisement