Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW e-Golf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

celtic_oz wrote: »
    I'd put up with a lot of buttons before I'd climb down 100 miles in range .. but thats me!

To be honest I prefer to enjoy what I drive than range, but then again I don't really need huge range.....

Sitting in a car for 3-4 year you hate just so you can drive a little further is not something I would like to do.....

I did test the eNiro and it was nice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    To be honest I prefer to enjoy what I drive than range, but then again I don't really need huge range.....

Sitting in a car for 3-4 year you hate just so you can drive a little further is not something I would like to do.....

I did test the eNiro and it was nice.....

though trying to sell a sub 200 mile range car in 5 years might be painful, I'd wait

look at this story : https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/9/20687413/bmw-electric-mini-cooper-specs-release

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

pobber1 wrote: »
    The current model has 50kW DC CCS capabilty but is limited to 7.2kW AC.

So, if you try to fast charge at one of the 43kW AC fast chargers the car is limited to 7.2kW AC.

so no matter what charger i connect it to it will only charge at 7.2kW?? Why are salesmen telling me it will charge to 80% in 40 minutes so?

BTW drove another one there at lunchtime, christ VW salesmen don't want to sell them at all and another 2 mile test drive. :mad:

celtic_oz wrote: »
    though trying to sell a sub 200 mile range car in 5 years might be painful, I'd wait

look at this story : https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/9/20687413/bmw-electric-mini-cooper-specs-release

They said the same about the Leaf 5 years ago....try and buy one now.....:D

Not enought new electric cars are been bought new to support the second hannd market in 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

charlieIRL wrote: »
    so no matter what charger i connect it to it will only charge at 7.2kW?? Why are salesmen telling me it will charge to 80% in 40 minutes so?

AC = 7.2kW
    DC=50kW.... this is the 80% in 40mins one.

So, it depends on what charger you connect it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

KCross wrote: »
    AC = 7.2kW

Exactly.

KCross wrote: »
    AC = 7.2kW

Thanks KCross, apologies am still only learing about them.

Silly question time - a public 22kW charger located in a car park, I presume that will take longer to charge to 80%?

BTW drove another one there at lunchtime, christ VW salesmen don't want to sell them at all and another 2 mile test drive. :mad:

After the first pathetic test drive I went back with the wife and kids so the salesman wouldn't fit and we took it for a good long spin :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Silly question time - a public 22kW charger located in a car park, I presume that will take longer to charge to 80%?

22kw destination type chargers will be AC and only charge at 7kw or so on an egolf, so probably about 4 hours.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    22kw destination type chargers will be AC and only charge at 7kw or so on an egolf, so probably about 4 hours.

well there goes the idea of a quick 40 min charge at lunchtime so!!

• Advertisement

pobber1 wrote: »
    After the first pathetic test drive I went back with the wife and kids so the salesman wouldn't fit and we took it for a good long spin :pac:

good idea!

A 22kW charger is a destination charger, you can leave plugged in from morning till lunchtime and then move car. Or even till finished work

You can use app to monitor how much it is charged

It is only the fast chargers you need to be concerned about leaving the car for a long time,

A 22kW charger is a destination charger, you can leave plugged in from morning till lunchtime and then move car. Or even till finished work

It is only the fast chargers you need to be concerned about leaving the car for a long time,

I was thinking that if i have to head into town at lunchtime I could plug it in and do whatever i had to and come back and it would be 80% charged. My commute to work is just shy of 60kms so three trips and i'd need a charge just in case with a golf. Would save me using the work one all the time (and keep sweet with the boss!!!) Would also save me charging at home too!! (keep sweet with the main boss!!!)

BTW office is nearly 3kms from the nearest charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Adds about 24 miles range in an hour for me with the level 2 charger.

I was thinking that if i have to head into town at lunchtime I could plug it in and do whatever i had to and come back and it would be 80% charged. My commute to work is just shy of 60kms so three trips and i'd need a charge just in case with a golf. Would save me using the work one all the time (and keep sweet with the boss!!!) Would also save me charging at home too!! (keep sweet with the main boss!!!)

Boss anxiety! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I work for Volkswagen and I’ve had an E Golf as a demo on/off for the last two years.

If you’ve any questions I would be glad to answer.

There’s a bit of stock around in Executive edition.

Also as for getting an E Golf for 31k, impossible. They retail at 36k and that’s before you add any extras like the Tech pack, metallic and some musts like the Heated seats and Digital Dash (Just because).

Just read a few points regarding the ID and deprivation of the E Golf. I don’t believe that to be true. IDs are apparently sold out already so if you haven’t Pre booked you won’t get on next year, also they’ll be new, and not everyone can afford new so assuming there is demand for used electric cars, the whole thing of supply/demand will play and should keep them valuable.

As regards range, I’ll echoe the 180-220km range weather dependent. Using the heated seats over the AC and keep light footed all help. It does take awhile to get over the range anxiety of constant watching the range but it does go. I believe from week 22 build 2018 they came with the WLTP range indicator which based on your last 20kms of driving (As opposed to the previous generation would read 300kms and when you turned on the AC it would drop to 150 and then just keep changing every 10 seconds, further adding to your anxiety)

Also briefly remember someone mentioning tyres having an effect on the range, they can have a massive effect on the range. Putting standard car tyres on a E car can reduce the range 30-40 percent, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hey Limerick man, good to see you're still around on boards!
    IDs are apparently sold out already so if you haven’t Pre booked you won’t get on next year

It's only the first edition that is sold out. That's the first batch of 30,000 ID.3 that will be on sale next year. Special highish spec highish range edition that is likely to cost about €40k over here. I have a reservation myself. Cheaper models will be available probably early 2021

Great to have a VW employee on here, I've lots of questions for you if you don't mind!!

Great to have a VW employee on here, I've lots of questions for you if you don't mind!!

Stick them all up here so we can all see :P

The I have and I would love to know if you can
    Can you set the air con so it doesn't auto start when you turn on car?

This I don't think you can do, can you set the car so when you turn it on it starts in Eco or Eco+ mode?

• Advertisement

Stick them all up here so we can all see :P

The I have and I would love to know if you can
    Can you set the air con so it doesn't auto start when you turn on car?

This I don't think you can do, can you set the car so when you turn it on it starts in Eco or Eco+ mode?

As in the Climate control or the actual A/C on the climate control?

Regarding the Modes, No matter what way I’ve tried it always reverts back to the standard Mode after I’ve turned it back on. Maybe Try “Car” on the radio - Settings - Personalization or something to that effect. Might be in there somewhere but I doubt it because the Eco Plus does restrict the throttle and power and if you forget it could get you in trouble!

unkel wrote: »
    Hey Limerick man, good to see you're still around on boards!

It's only the first edition that is sold out. That's the first batch of 30,000 ID.3 that will be on sale next year. Special highish spec highish range edition that is likely to cost about €40k over here. I have a reservation myself. Cheaper models will be available probably early 2021

That’s what I meant by not getting one next year.

I also very much doubt that the High range models will be €40k, I think they will be considerably more than that. But we haven’t been given any indication of price yet (Or anything for that matter).

As in the Climate control or the actual A/C on the climate control?

Regarding the Modes, No matter what way I’ve tried it always reverts back to the standard Mode after I’ve turned it back on. Maybe Try “Car” on the radio - Settings - Personalization or something to that effect. Might be in there somewhere but I doubt it because the Eco Plus does restrict the throttle and power and if you forget it could get you in trouble!

The climate control, so when you turn on it auto comes on. It is annoying to have to turn off all the time.

Even in my poxy Ford if I turn it off, the next time I turn the car on it is still off.

The mode is not a setting in the console. I don't think it is available but it should be. Across the World on the eGolf forum the question is asked on a regular basis.

The climate control, so when you turn on it auto comes on. It is annoying to have to turn off all the time.

Even in my poxy Ford if I turn it off, the next time I turn the car on it is still off.

The mode is not a setting in the console. I don't think it is available but it should be. Across the World on the eGolf forum the question is asked on a regular basis.

Yeah I would imagine the mode thing is something for safety reasons because of the power restrictions more than anything.

I get what you mean about the Climate control, I’ll play around with it tomorrow (Don’t have it now).

Should be the same principal in the Passat, but I’ll let you know.

Yeah I would imagine the mode thing is something for safety reasons because of the power restrictions more than anything.

I get what you mean about the Climate control, I’ll play around with it tomorrow (Don’t have it now).

Should be the same principal in the Passat, but I’ll let you know.

It is has to be done via ODB etc I will get it done....just a small bit annoying.....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

I don’t know if it was a new thing with the 191 models or if it’s because I turned off the Saftey setting ages ago so I can heat the car unplugged ( it shouldn’t have anything to do with it but just maybe it’s tied in ) I must try it out because my car when I turn it off it stays off when I next get in. Same if I leave it on its on when I next get into the car.

On a separate note the eco and eco plus modes use to annoy me how they would never stay on when you leave the car car until I found out that it actually just limits you and does nothing to the car. I’ve gotten use to driving like the eco modes would make you drive while also having the power of the normal mode in situations that an overtake is needed. I find it much safer having that power there when needed instead of being in eco plus limited to 95km with a car jamming on in front of you on the motorway while another car flys up the fast lane.

Mupchease wrote: »
    I don’t know if it was a new thing with the 191 models or if it’s because I turned off the Saftey setting ages ago so I can heat the car unplugged ( it shouldn’t have anything to do with it but just maybe it’s tied in ) I must try it out because my car when I turn it off it stays off when I next get in. Same if I leave it on its on when I next get into the car.

On a separate note the eco and eco plus modes use to annoy me how they would never stay on when you leave the car car until I found out that it actually just limits you and does nothing to the car. I’ve gotten use to driving like the eco modes would make you drive while also having the power of the normal mode in situations that an overtake is needed. I find it much safer having that power there when needed instead of being in eco plus limited to 95km with a car jamming on in front of you on the motorway while another car flys up the fast lane.

Eco and Eco+ limit the speed but they also turn down the performance of the car.

When you pick these modes it will increase your range. Not as big an issue on the new model but on the eGolf gen 1 it is handy, especially in Dublin when it’s better half the time not to have normal mode because you will kill someone

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I also very much doubt that the High range models will be €40k, I think they will be considerably more than that. But we haven’t been given any indication of price yet (Or anything for that matter).

Yeah I didn't word that very well. I think the expectations are the first model will have the medium of the 3 battery packs and that it is fairly well specced.

For the eGolf v2 users.

How does apple carplay work? Do you need to plug in the phone?

is it any good? better than the inbuilt maps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

For the eGolf v2 users.

How does apple carplay work? Do you need to plug in the phone?

is it any good? better than the inbuilt maps?

Yeah you need to plug it into the USB port. I use podcasts and audible a lot. A lot of times when I plug it in, the audio doesn’t come through. I have to unplug it and connect it again. Works on the second go. Other than that it is very good.

I’ve only used google maps on it. Never used the inbuilt maps. Google maps is very good.

Advertisement