Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

kitten_k wrote: »
    Dublin Zoo have confirmed that Wild Lights will not be going ahead this year.

Crap. We've been every year and absolutely love it. Big gang of us go and we all have a ball. Was half expecting it bit hoping it would happen. I do wonder will there be any Santa trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Don't know how big an interest is for them here but Tayto are putting Banshee Bones back out in the shops for the next couple of months.

Now if only they would bring back Ghosties. My favourite crisp of all time.

Now if only they would bring back Ghosties. My favourite crisp of all time.

Mine too! Loved ghosties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I've seen various mentions of podcasts in this thread. Would anyone mind posting the names of the best ones? Now that the kids are back in school and the evenings are getting darker Christmas keeps sneaking into my mind. Would love a couple of Christmassy podcasts to get me going...
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Mine too! Loved ghosties.

they the bacon ones? Or maybe that's wheelies I'm thinking of.

Loved banshee bones though hopefully pick some up for research purposes.

As long as they keep the meanies going... a guilty pleasure of mine id hate to see them stop.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

tscul32 wrote: »
    I've seen various mentions of podcasts in this thread. Would anyone mind posting the names of the best ones? Now that the kids are back in school and the evenings are getting darker Christmas keeps sneaking into my mind. Would love a couple of Christmassy podcasts to get me going...
    Thanks in advance

I recommend

Can’t wait for Christmas
    Merry Britmas
    Christmas Past
    Total Christmas Podcast
    ‘Tis the Podcast
    Grandma got ran over by a podcast

DvB wrote: »

As long as they keep the meanies going... a guilty pleasure of mine id hate to see them stop.

I think they were bacon, and wheelies were pickled something or maybe salt and pickle? For some reason I thought meanies were a similar flavour to wheelies? Love crisps, but I dont eat them as they are so addictive.

DvB wrote: »

Yep, bacon flavour. Sensational.

Serious question for the people who.post here. I've only recently come across this section of boards, I absolutely love Christmas but was wondering how early would people start watching Christmas films and listening to the music? Reason I ask is I get the feeling the answer would be very early! Do you not ruin it on yourself and suffer a bit of burn out the closer to the day? Personally I don't do either until December but then it's 100% Christmas nothing else. Not judging or anything , just curious is all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Serious question for the people who.post here. I've only recently come across this section of boards, I absolutely love Christmas but was wondering how early would people start watching Christmas films and listening to the music? Reason I ask is I get the feeling the answer would be very early! Do you not ruin it on yourself and suffer a bit of burn out the closer to the day? Personally I don't do either until December but then it's 100% Christmas nothing else. Not judging or anything , just curious is all.

Obviously I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t start properly listening to Christmas music until mid-November. Christmas movies anytime from Nov 1st. I’ve found over the years it’s getting harder and harder to make time For the movies tho.

I do read up about Christmas stuff throughout the year and listen to podcasts. It’s no different than anyone else reading up about a movie that’s set to release 10 months from now.

Life’s too short to play by everyone’s “expectations” do what makes you happy so I’m never gonna judge anyone for blasting out Christmas tunes in summer.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Obviously I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t start properly listening to Christmas music until mid-November. Christmas movies anytime from Nov 1st. I’ve found over the years it’s getting harder and harder to make time For the movies tho.

I do read up about Christmas stuff throughout the year and listen to podcasts. It’s no different than anyone else reading up about a movie that’s set to release 10 months from now.

Life’s too short to play by everyone’s “expectations” do what makes you happy so I’m never gonna judge anyone for blasting out Christmas tunes in summer.

Could have written that myself.

Christmas never fully goes off my radar but really starts coming into focus after Halloween, especially with the adverts starting nov.1st. We tend to start watching movies in november too and music tends to start with the launch of Christmas FM.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

As I said no judgement here, just curious is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I’m guilty of watching Christmas movies in July when the movie channel changes over and I may or may not be listening to Christmas playlists in the car to and from work now :) never too early for Christmas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I recommend

Can’t wait for Christmas
    Merry Britmas
    Christmas Past
    Total Christmas Podcast
    ‘Tis the Podcast

Perfect, thanks. Someone mentioned "can't wait till Christmas" recently and I found that but it was from some American church and started with everyone grabbing their bible..." - not quite what I was after

Christmas music starts when Christmas FM starts for me. I'd watch movies any time of the year and am currently making my way through a pile of Christmas chick lit (book equivalents of hallmark Christmas movies) that I bought to read last Christmas but never got round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

First of love the name, what a movie. Secondly I have definitely burned out Christmas in the past by starting to listen to music too early (too early for me) and it really messed up my Christmas week. As an expat I get homesick, particularly in the run up to Christmas so I have to try very hard to hold off listening to Christmas music.

As DVB has planned I hope to hold off until Christmas fm starts this year. In relation to films its as per the music however in recent year I plan on watching 20+ films however with little elves and work I am lucky to get 4 or 5 watched in the whole period. In the past I would watch two on the flight home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

kitten_k wrote: »
    Dublin Zoo have confirmed that Wild Lights will not be going ahead this year.

Saw that yesterday. Was very disappointed as have gone the last couple and loved it and also we have an annual pass this time :(

Like many others on here Christmas would be on my mind all year and would be here chatting to like minded people through the year as well. However wouldn't really get into the music and movies etc till late Oct/early Nov at the earliest. That's not to say if a Christmas movie (Die Hard, Home Alone) popped up during the year that I wouldn't watch it or I wouldn't pop into the Christmas FM app if feeling a bit down.

That's one of the many great things about Christmas, you can get into it as little or as much as you want, whenever you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

I recommend

Can’t wait for Christmas
    Merry Britmas
    Christmas Past
    Total Christmas Podcast
    ‘Tis the Podcast

Thanks for mentioning these! Would never have thought of a Christmas podcast. Just subscribed to a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Got an email from TheWorks this morning, telling me it’s a good time to start Christmas crafting:

https://www.theworks.co.uk/c/christmas-shop/christmas-crafts

I couldn’t agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Serious question for the people who.post here. I've only recently come across this section of boards, I absolutely love Christmas but was wondering how early would people start watching Christmas films and listening to the music?
    I used to only passively listen to Christmas music whenever it started in the shops. Last year tried Christmas FM via web when it started the Live broadcasts, and it was good fun, will look out for it this year as well.
    Don't have Netflix, so will start watch Christmas movies whenever the local TV channels start showing them (usually end of November).
    What I love is randomly bumping into a mainstream movie that has a Christmas related scene in it.
    Few weeks ago it was Random Hearts by Sydney Pollack, there is a brief Christmas airport scene in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Lots of Christmas emails coming in :)

Got this offer today, large jars €19.95, https://www.candlewarehouse.ie/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=752&cat=+Christmas+Candles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A great idea or in bad taste? I won't be buying one anyway!

https://twitter.com/seanearley/status/1303264169937039360

Thanks for mentioning these! Would never have thought of a Christmas podcast. Just subscribed to a couple.

Be careful, they're addictive :D

miamee wrote: »

I'll be honest, the first time I saw it I giggled, wouldnt dream of getting one though. I'll be looking to forget 2020 not have a 'reeling in the years' reminder of the thing hanging from my christmas tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Not my cup of tea - but if someone wants them on their tree is their prerogative.
    I am still debating if getting a Christmas face mask for myself, I have seen some on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I would be in the no camp as well. Each to their own and all that however like DvB, I wouldn't be wanting a yearly reminder of 2020 on my tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

They are cute but again it won't be on my tree this year:pac:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I ordered a similar one :o

For our family, lockdown was quite pleasant. Both of us normally work full time with long commutes so family time is limited. Christmas and summer holidays are the only times we really just hang out and enjoy each other's company - and in lots of ways lockdown was a bit like that. We worked from home so our son got a kick-about with dad, baked the odd time with me, or helped in the kitchen, or we started a veg garden, we camped in the back yard with a barbecue, and we all really enjoyed being at home just ourselves. I'd always get an ornament that represents something we did during the year so it made sense that something to remind us of that.
    I appreciate that there are many others for whom 2020 can feck right off and I wouldn't gift it to anyone for fear I'd hurt or offend, but it's grand for our tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

PaulT21 wrote: »
    They are cute but again it won't be on my tree this year:pac:

Thanks Loughc. I wasn't sure what happened there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Don'y know if it's the year that's in it, whether it's because we are into September or I'm just a Christmas nut.
    But every evening I go through the channels on the telly hoping that a Christmas movie channel or Christmas music channel or Christmas cooking shows have started to come on.
    It just feels like I can't bloody wait for the season to start this year!

You won't have to wait too much longer, i read today that Sony Movies Christmas is set to launch on 24 September and airing right up to January :D:D

• Advertisement

Each to their own but I wouldn't be getting something so in your face as that one. I wouldnt however mind a classier one like one I seen the other day. It just had a picture of a house and it said on it "2020 the year we all stayed home". I think that works better but I wouldn't give out about anyone having one or not either way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement