Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Racing Sims General Discussion / Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yes they do most years.

What spec is your PC?
    For such a wheel your wasting it sticking to console only.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Dcully wrote: »
    Yes they do most years.

What spec is your PC?
    For such a wheel your wasting it sticking to console only.

Thanks!

It's a 10+ year old Dell laptop. Can't imagine it would be capable of doing much.

I get you on the console use, i just don't want to waste money on a basic wheel though and end up looking to upgrade it quickly. I've been wanting a decent set up for quite some time, and i'm thinking if i'm going to do it, then I should do it right the first time. Plus i'd imagine the Fanatec would be a nicer wheel to use on console over some of the cheaper set ups, which would encourage me to use it more!

The thing is there is nothing on console to take advantage of such a wheel, apart from assetto corsa nothing else has the physics to do such a wheel justice and it will be largely wasted imo.
    Your simply not going to get all the nuances a top class physics engine will send to you via that wheel on console.

For the cost of that wheel you would get a nice PC able to play all PC sims and respectable graphical settings.
    Maybe by a G29 for €200 odd euros and your sorted.

In my opinion a decent PC and a G29 would be opening up a whole new world of sims on PC for you is the much better option than a lovely wheel stuck on a console with very limited options.

Its your call ofcourse but it would be like limiting a ferarri to never go above 30kph on a racetrack when you could go a hell of a lot faster and have way more fun :)

In an ideal world grab a decent PC and that wheel setup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Seconded, but hold onto the warranty. I had to get my G29 replaced last month after wearing out the brake in just a year. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

DaveD wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Fanatec normally throw a few Black Friday deals together? I'm currently looking at their Xbox One Bundle.

Also welcome any comments on alternatives. Right now i'd be using it on Forza 7 but don't want to rule out getting into some of the PC sims (need to upgrade the PC first!). Also conscious of spending that much money on a wheel for the Xbox One with a new Xbox on the horizon for this time next year.

Project Cars 2 is excellent on the PS4. I'm not sure what it's like on the Xbox 1 though.
    Is it the standard one you have or the X?

• Advertisement

The thing is there is nothing on console to take advantage of such a wheel, apart from assetto corsa nothing else has the physics to do such a wheel justice and it will be largely wasted imo.
    Your simply not going to get all the nuances a top class physics engine will send to you via that wheel on console.

For the cost of that wheel you would get a nice PC able to play all PC sims and respectable graphical settings.
    Maybe by a G29 for €200 odd euros and your sorted.

In my opinion a decent PC and a G29 would be opening up a whole new world of sims on PC for you is the much better option than a lovely wheel stuck on a console with very limited options.

Its your call ofcourse but it would be like limiting a ferarri to never go above 30kph on a racetrack when you could go a hell of a lot faster and have way more fun :)

In an ideal world grab a decent PC and that wheel setup :)

Appreciate the comments, will look into the G920 (Xbox and pc version) :)
    Project Cars 2 is excellent on the PS4. I'm not sure what it's like on the Xbox 1 though.
    Is it the standard one you have or the X?

It’s the X I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

What’s a decent spec PC to start off with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

DaveD wrote: »
    Appreciate the comments, will look into the G920 (Xbox and pc version) :)

It’s the X I have.

PCars 2 should run very well on that. I'd skip the G920 if I was you.
    Its a good starter wheel but it's based on older technology.

Fanatec should be having a Black Friday sale very soon. Check out the CSL, it's a great bit of kit.

G920 is basically G29, while it may be older tech i dont look at it that way [plenty of new wheels still being built with similar spec].
    My way of looking at it is its just different tech more accessible entry level tech, nothing wrong with it, some of the fastest iracing guys use the G29 and swear by them as they find other wheels are too strong.
    They just wont give you as precise,as smooth or as strong FFB as the higher end wheels.
    Yes the Fanatec CSL Elite is superior and a big jump up it but it itself is nothing compared to a good direct drive wheel, there is really no limit to price and quality out there.

PCARS 1 or 2 while decent just dont have the top class physics as the alternatives, even worse is the shockingly inconsistent FFB but i suppose its a good place to start if you have no other choice [looks great too].
    In my opinion the CSL would be a bit of a waste on something like this, also there is already better on console in the form of Assetto Corsa which combined with the CSL would be very nice indeed.
    If your into racing sims and your willing to spend so much on a wheel you really owe it to yourself to get involved with PC sims,so much to choose from and literally an endless stream of content with both paid and free mods not to mention most devs really do support their sims with constant updates.

Dont ignore thrustmaster wheels though, they have wheels that fill the gap between G920/G29 spec and CSL spec.
    Be careful though, my T300 alcantara had to returned as the connection to the base for pedals would not lock into place [a bit of blutac done the job but less than ideal]
    Then when bolting it onto my Gt Omega Apex the mounting bolt just went through the plastic base never to be seen again, i could hear it if i rattled the base so again this wasnt ideal.
    Shame really as it offered really smooth and strong FFB, not too far off the CSL.

Just to add if you stick with your console, dirt rally 1 and 2 are pure rally sims and both on console i believe, they will give any wheel a work out :P

Thanks all. No Black Friday deals on Fanatec Xbox bundles unfortunately.

I can get the CSL elite bundle for €630. Or €800 for the same bundle but the base is upgraded from the CSL v1.1 to the ClubSport v2.5. I’m sure the clubsport base is great, and probably worth it for the extra 170 but I’m really stretching the budget at this stage.

Question also, my 7 year old will be using the wheel too. Any potential issues with him handling the CSL wheel?

• Advertisement

Id definitely be turning down FFB strength for the little one.
    Id wait until official black friday passes before buying though, you never know unless they have officially said it?

Id definitely be turning down FFB strength for the little one.
    Id wait until official black friday passes before buying though, you never know unless they have officially said it?

They’ve already released details of their Black Friday deals.

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/1270/black-friday-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I've been playing Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally 2 with my wheel but I think I'd like something new to play. I have a Logitech G920 on PC btw.

Assetto Corsa is a bit rough round the edges and I don't find it much fun either. Dirt Rally 2 is way too difficult, even on 'very easy' I came 25th in a historic FWD event.

I was thinking of trying Forza 7 like a guy posted earlier, and someone else mentioned Project Cars 2. Or even AC:C, I heard it's more polished than the previous game?
    A game that's good with a wheel, decent AI and decent career would be great.

First off have a look on well known sim sites to get correct settings for your wheel per sim, it makes a dramatic difference, it would say a sim is unplayable until you set your wheel up correctly for it[it is absolutely crucial].
    race Department might be a good place to start or the sims official message boards etc.

Raceroom would be perfect for you great AI and everything is easily setup to be adjusted to your level, it even has AI that will sync to your level automaticaly after a few races adaptive AI.

ACC is only the Blancplain GT3 series but is incredible, You can drop AI to suit your level.
    I would agree to a point that its more polished in the sense that its an all in one package but it lacks mods and that open ended experience of AC.

If you want to best AI in simracing rfactor 2 is what your after but rteally most sims today have pretty good AI.

How about F1 2019? Certainly not a full on sim but has decent car behavior and great AI with a full career mode.

If you just want a casual arcade racing game forza 4 horison is THE BEST arcade racer out there, sign up to xbox game pass on PC for a €1 right now and you can play to your hearts content.
    The new Grid released recently is also a decent ardacey racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Eyerer : I got PC 2 in the steam sale last week, I think that would be fine for you, has a career mode to keep you busy and improving, much more polished that AC for sure. Unless you want to jump into iracing?? But maybe better master PC2 first. F1 2017-8-9 is good but a bit limited in car choice for obv reasons.

So, anyone excited about the extra attention sim racing's getting right now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes I think the virtual F1 race in Bahrain piqued a lot of interest and brought the likes of Jimmy Broadbent a new audience. In other news, really looking forward to the early access release of Automobilista 2 next week. Playing a lot of Assetto Corsa Competizione at the moment, the graphics and general handling are just superb.

I tore my rotator cuff in my shoulder a few months back so no simracing for me at all as its incredibly painful and keeps me awake at night, injections every 6 weeks up to a max of 4 which i had 4 weeks ago.
    Its nasty, MRI showed no surgery needed but they say recovery is slower without surgery :(
    So im watching all this surge in simracing more than participating but its great to see.

ACC is great but AMS 2 is what im interested in more than anything else, AMS1 is great but needed a facelift badly.
    Hopefully this shoulder improves to the point where a FFB wheel wont feel life my shoulder is being ripped off.
    Its improving for sure, 2 months ago i couldnt raise my arm to even the level of a desk mounted wheel, and i refuse to play a sim with a controller.

Right now im loving all the real life Pro drivers streaming their simracing.
    I always like Nikki Thim but hes at it a long time now, watching the newer guys jumping in is great.
    Im watching David Perel doing so right now with his real life engineer talking him through setups etc,

https://youtu.be/0rGH7-CoCmY

Hope you can get back racing soon Dcully, sim racing is a nice escape from the gloom around us. I was playing ACC over the weekend and leading a race around Kyalami in the Porsche. I miscalculated my fuel load for the race, tried to eke it out by setting the engine map to 10 (for use in pace car situations) but I conked out a few hundred metres from the finish line lol.Yes very much looking forward to AMS2 as well, loved driving the Formula trucks in AMS1!

I'm excited for AMS2 myself. I'm not too concerned about it possibly being Project CARS 2.5, as long as I keep away from the landmines in the curbs I should be fine. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭az1234

I've been thinking about getting a Thrustmaster T150 Pro and Playseat Challenge, does anyone have any experience of either? I'm just looking for something to get started with at the minute and can always upgrade down the line anyway.

I've been looking to get a wheel and pedals as I've been getting back into games on the PS4 like Gran Turismo over the last while. I just got Project Cars 2 in the sale on PSN and Dirt Rally 2 is free on PS Plus next month so I'll have plenty to keep me going!

Id avoid thrustmaster after the issues i had, T300 brand new, housing for screw while mounting shattered from minimum pressure and went inside the unit close to motor.
    Also the connection for pedals where they connect to main unit would not click into place, i had to use blutac to keep it in place, i got rid of it after a week or two.
    Im planning to buy a G29 as soon as stores reopen, i sold my G27 for the T300 , big mistake.

Id avoid thrustmaster after the issues i had, T300 brand new, housing for screw while mounting shattered from minimum pressure and went inside the unit close to motor.
    Also the connection for pedals where they connect to main unit would not click into place, i had to use blutac to keep it in place, i got rid of it after a week or two.
    Im planning to buy a G29 as soon as stores reopen, i sold my G27 for the T300 , big mistake.
    Feck it, I just ordered it this morning! I was looking at the Logitech G29 as well but couldn't really find it anywhere except for Argos's eBay but they didn't have great feedback!

I'll just have to hope for the best! Say a prayer for me! :pac:

The T300 is notorious for issues, some say newer ones were improved but mine was one of the newer ones.
    Hopefully the T150 will be different but if your worried surely you can cancel at this early stage?

I could probably cancel but I think I'll just chance it. I had some form of Thrustmaster for the PS3 years ago that I only used a small bit but that seemed to work OK so hopefully this one will be the same! Cheers for the heads up on the quality control though!

In case anyone is interested, ocuk are hosting weekly hotlapping events in assetto corsa with a new track and selection of cars each week. You need to be a forum member, just a quick sign up process. Here's the details:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/assetto-corsa-ocuk-tt-challenge-season-3.18762295/

Only a bit of fun but the more the merrier and it is quite well organised. I'm pretty crap but won 2 out 3 in last weeks event (yeah!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Just seeing the discussion regarding wheels above. My own ancient Logitech GT DF is on it's last legs (bought in 2010 :) ). Tempted to order a new one. What's the story with deliveries at the moment? Are sites such as amazon delivering as normal??

Yes amazon are still delivering, but expect 2 weeks or so lead time on the free delivery option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

What sort of ballpark cost would I be looking at to build a PC capable of running the likes of Project Cars 2, Dirt Rally 2.0, F1 2019 or AC Competizione? I already have the games on Steam (I play them using GeForce Now, but it has no steering wheel support and I want to be able to dig out my G25 and use it).

• Advertisement

Those games are not particularly demanding on hardware, perhaps with the exception of AC Competizione. What is your current monitor? If you want to play at 1080p, a budget type setup would be something like an AMD Ryzen 3 3200 paired with an Nvidia 1660 Super which should play those titles no problem.

A mid range setup would allow you turn up graphical settings and/or game at 1440p. Perhaps an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 paired with a Radeon RX 5700 XT?

For both options add in Motherboard, SSD, 16GB RAM, case, power supply, guessing around €1K for mid range, €700 for budget build excluding periperhals.
    Have a look at pcpartpicker (https://pcpartpicker.com/), will give you a better idea of costs.

Advertisement