Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autoboi

thanks a million, that gives me a bit more confidence. Zero chance of charging in work - I have to pay for the pleasure of parking there as it stands 🤣

I'm not in a mad rush, so I'll start the hunt - can't get over how expensive they're become. I've been hoping my OH will take pity and buy me a Tesla - I've been dropping hints left, right and centre . . . and nothing, nada!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd go with the 30kWh, they should be in better shape than the 24kWh and offer greater range and less anxiety in Winter months, especially if you decide to drive at the speed limit. In a year or two the 24 will really struggle with your range in Winter.

Also, although the HV battery has proven resilient there is no 24 battery under warranty by now whereas the 2016 30 is still under Nissan warranty until 2024 (or 160k kms).

As an indication I sold our 30kWh with 91% SoH last Summer with something like 78k kms on the clock, great car, zero complaints and never missed a beat throughout ownership

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

I'd definitely avoid the 24kw with the Naas trip you have mentioned.

You really don't want to be driving slowly most days for an extended period. Imagaine a day of driving wind and rain and a temperature drop, it would really struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭glen123

I've 30kw Leaf. A 90km round trip (with 1 stop) in winter on motorway at 110-120 km p/h has me home with 3 bars remaining. I'd go with 30kw to make sure you are comfortable in case something happens and you get stuck in traffic or have to do some sort of de tour, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autoboi

30kw would be my preference, I really don't want to have to interact with public charging if I'm being honest. My hours are not 9-5 so I will not be pulling into somewhere at 2 in the morning for a top up - that's just not viable. If that's the case I will just buy a cheaper ICE car to get me though the next few years until I can afford something better. I will see what's out there. I just pray that its not white :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Gen 2 Leaf.

The odd night when I power down, I can see the charger timer is set.

Yet when I plug in the charging cable, it starts charging immediately.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

Do you have the '100% Charge Priority' setting on? If that's on, and it thinks it won't reach 100% in the charge timer window, it'll start charging immediately. And there seems to be a bug wirh it too, it looks like it uses 3kW charging when calculating whether it'll reach 100% in the window, even if you set it to use 6kW for the calculation in the menu. I just turned off that "100% Charge Priority" and my car now only charges when the timer kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭creedp

When I plug in my L30 the car sends a signal to the charger to check connection but the car doesnt start charging. The charging lights will flash for a few minutes then stop. The car will only charge based on timer settings.

This sounds like it could be the issue, I'll take off the 100% charge priority.

I noticed it was back to the 3kw option, despite me having already set it to 6kw...it must have reverted back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭jasonb

Mine's always set to 6kW but even then it still seems to calculate how long the charge will take at 3kW. Even when I set it to the Fast Charge option it still seems to calculate it at 3kW. Only option seems to be to turn off the 100% Charging Priority.

• Advertisement

That appears to have been the issue, as it worked fine tonight. Battery was at 60% whereas the night it started charging immediately it was at 20%.

So it obviously thought it needed to start charging straight away to get to 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Freewheel

Anybody ever get a t/m system malfunction error? Car won’t go into drive mode and then cuts out. Break pedal doesn’t seem to have normal level of resistance. 161 30kw leaf and just at 101k km so just outside warranty - are Nissan strict re same. Will contact main dealer tmw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That refers to the transmission system. It could be caused by many factors, ranging from a bad 12v battery to serious motor/transmission issues. As a first step I would be having the 12v battery checked for health. Apart from that, you would need a LeafSpy check of the fault codes to guide next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

If not wanting to use uk Amazon where is the best place to get the bluetooth obdii?

Other than Amazon, I'd say eBay, assuming you buy online. Just be aware that if you want to use one with Leafspy, there are many out there that won't work, and few that do. The LELink^2 seems to be good, whereas 2 others I bought won't work.

Thanks. I don’t have leafspy. Probably worth changing the 12v battery (6 years old so probably due a change) and hope for the best as otherwise it’s a tow truck job.

Do you, or a m8 have access to a 12v charger? If so, charge it up for 12 hours or so, and if that resolves the problem, the chances are high that a new battery is needed.

Unfortunately car isn’t near my house, it’s in a car park. I was sitting in the car, parked up with radio and wipers on for 10 minutes before trying to drive so think there is a good chance it’s the battery. Pity there isn’t just a warning message re 12v battery. There is a motor factors very near where it’s parked but it’s not open until tmw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

. I was sitting in the car, parked up with radio and wipers on for 10 minutes before trying to drive so think there is a good chance it’s the battery

that would do it.

presumably you didn’t have the car turned on fully, just in accessory mode?

if you want to sit in the car and have heating etc you should turn the car on fully. It will keep the 12V charged then.

OK. Too l8 now I know. But you could go and remove the 12v battery and bring it to be charged if you or a buddy had a charger. that way, you'd know b4 buying a new battery in case it's something else.

Put a notice on it that it's broken down in case a shithead parking enforcer sees it before you can move it.

• Advertisement

Nornally, that wouldn't be an issue, as the O P had wipers on while sitting there, so the DC/DC unit would have been charging the battery OK as needed. Once wipers are on, the charging circuit is engaged. The issue here is likely to be that either 1) the 12 v is goosed or 2) the DC/DC charger (part of the charging/inverter assemblies) is goosed.

My money, in the absence of Leafspy diagnostics is on 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I don’t have my leaf anymore but I don’t think the 12v is charging unless you see the green “ready” car icon on the dash. You need to put your foot on the brake and then start it.

if you double press the start button without pressing the brake you can turn on the wipers but no 12v charging in that case. That’s my recollection of how it works.

Update. Went to take the battery out this morning to get a neighbour to charge it. Chanced starting it and it worked for some reason. Think it’s time for a new 12v battery and to remember to fully turn on car if sitting in it. Thanks for advice

Any Leaf Spy Pro experts on here?

Got an issue with a Gen 2 Leaf cutting out whilst charging at work.

Would the app show any error code or anything which might diagnose why it's happening?

Not an expert by any means.

If the charging system in the Leaf stopped the charging session due to a fault , it may have thrown an error that will appear once Leafspy Pro reads the DTC codes.

If the charger stopped the session, the Leaf may not even be aware of it, seeing just that the charging ceased which it will see as a normal event.

Be careful when reading the DTC codes. If you haven't previously read/cleared them, you won't know if a DTC refers to a previous error or to a current one. I'd suggest that you read them first, take a screenshot and then clear them. Then plug into the charger. If it stops charging unexpectedly check if any DTC code has been thrown.

Any Gen 2 Leaf owners able to stop me going even more mad with the audio system?

I couldn't get Android Auto to work, still haven't got round to buying a good quality data cable to see if that's the issue.

Now I plugged in my usb stick of mp3 files from my gen 1 leaf, and it's not working either.

Manual mentioned usb2, and since it was a usb3, I copied them on to an old usb2 stick. Still not recognised. And both were formatted in fat ok.

Anyone know what might be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Sorry, cant really help as I use Apple car play and not had any issues connecting. Have you tried maybe posting under r/leaf on reddit might reach a larger audience who might have encountered this?

EDIT: on the data cable front, I got a cable from nissan as part of a welcome pack in the post. If you are a new owner, might save a few quid.

Post edited by Encrypted Pigeon on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭sh81722

Are you sure you formatted it with FAT32 and not ExFAT? Here's an article on different formats on Windows 10. I suspect the Nissan's system requires FAT32 filesystem.

Yeah the stick was already in fat32, but I took my music off it, reformatted it again and put music back on.

Also tried a 2nd memory stick, a really old one as the Nissan manual stated usb2...Not 3.0 but I'm guessing this was down to maybe usb3 being new at the time the manual was written.

Neither worked.

Since this isn't working, and Android Auto isn't working despite trying 3 or 4 different cables, I am starting to suspect my usb port may be broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭sh81722

Our USB socket was also a bit loose so I squashed the metal on the cable's USB-A plug a little and that allowed for more pressure on the contacts and that fixed it.

Advertisement