Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Gone with mickelson 16-1, carl pettersson 66-1, paul casey 150-1 after last wks picks ive gone ew on all 3 so fingers crossed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Walter lemon

Chris kirk 40-1
    J walker 40-1
    Ryan palmer 80-1
    J blixt 150-1
    A baddelly 100-1
    Russel henley 80-1

A hold load of hail mary's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Gone with Haas, Ogilvy, Woodland and Barnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

done quite a few bets this week but my main fancy is Steve Stricker, we saw with Tiger last week how crucial putting is in this game and imo there isn't many better than stricker at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Gone with Rafa Cab Bello @28/1,win only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Shell Houston Open

1.0 Pts E/W Keegan Bradley @ 13/1 Keegan is going to win soon so I can't stop backing him now, he is in great form with 3 Top 10 finishes in his last 3 events. Long and accurate off the tea will help a lot on this long course.

1.0 Pts E/W Steve Stricker @ 14/1 Redstone will probably suit the long hitters more than someone like Stricker but he is accurate, like Bradley, which will help on a course with a lot of challenging bunkers. And as Tiger has shown over the last few weeks how important the putter is and there isn't many better than Stricker in that department.

0.5 Pts E/W Boo Weekley @ 100/1 Boo Weekley has had a good start to the year, one of the best iron players on tour if he can get close and leave himspef some easy putts he might have a chance. 100/1 looks good to me so having a small bet on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

fangee wrote: »
    The SHELL HOUSTON OPEN this week.

I'm expecting Phil Mickelson to pick up the winners cheque this week and can't believe he is 16/1.

So if you fancy him for Augusta then get on before this week as his price will tumble.

started well he is -3 through 6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

redzerdrog wrote: »
    started well he is -3 through 6

As we all know its a long 4 days. If he gets to 7 under toady ill be happy.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Shell Houston Open

1.0 Pts E/W Keegan Bradley @ 13/1 Keegan is going to win soon so I can't stop backing him now, he is in great form with 3 Top 10 finishes in his last 3 events. Long and accurate off the tea will help a lot on this long course.

1.0 Pts E/W Steve Stricker @ 14/1 Redstone will probably suit the long hitters more than someone like Stricker but he is accurate, like Bradley, which will help on a course with a lot of challenging bunkers. And as Tiger has shown over the last few weeks how important the putter is and there isn't many better than Stricker in that department.

0.5 Pts E/W Boo Weekley @ 100/1 Boo Weekley has had a good start to the year, one of the best iron players on tour if he can get close and leave himspef some easy putts he might have a chance. 100/1 looks good to me so having a small bet on him.

-4, -3 and -5, I'll take that going into the weekend. They all should be at least a couple strokes better so hopefully they will have good weekends.

-4, -3 and -5, I'll take that going into the weekend. They all should be at least a couple strokes better so hopefully they will have good weekends.

It's all a tad mad eh.

Will the top 3 bottle it and come back to the field ?

Will Phil double bogey the 5th for the third day running ?

Was Steve Stricker asleep on the first day ?

I just can't see any of those top 5 as the winner but if any of them put in a round today they'll be clear.

If they set the course up for low scoring it could bring a lot of players back in.

It could be 3/1 the field on the final day with 10 players in contention.

• Advertisement

DA Points wins in Houston and Siem wins in Morocco, I don't think anyone could have picked those.

Bradley started horribly yesterday, he was +3 through 11 before he birdied 5 of the last 7 holes to finish in a tie for 10th.

Mickelson is showing signs that he might be ready to string at Augusta, @ 11/1 I'm thinking of doing a win only bet. Charles Howell III misses out on Augusta, I thought he was going to go well on his hometown course if he qualified, maybe next year.

Kuchar is playing in Texas this week so I'm going to back him for the Masters now @ 33/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

DA Points wins in Houston and Siem wins in Morocco, I don't think anyone could have picked those.

Bradley started horribly yesterday, he was +3 through 11 before he birdied 5 of the last 7 holes to finish in a tie for 10th.

Mickelson is showing signs that he might be ready to string at Augusta, @ 11/1 I'm thinking of doing a win only bet. Charles Howell III misses out on Augusta, I thought he was going to go well on his hometown course if he qualified, maybe next year.

Kuchar is playing in Texas this week so I'm going to back him for the Masters now @ 33/1.

I think Kuchar could actually be a good bet this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Had Johnson placed, small return. Think he could be the one for the masters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Taking a chance on furyk this week in a treble with peter hanson to win his 3 ball v noh and barnes at evens and schwartzal top rest of world player at 6/4

I'm saving my money for next week so I'm just going to do a couple small bets.

I like Jordan Spieth @ 35/1, he is from Texas so I'm hoping for a bit of local knowledge.

Also another Texan and a man that has a good history here and has had a couple good performances this season is Justin Leonard, @ 80/1 I will also have a small bet on him.

I've backed Kuchar @ 30/1 for The Masters now because I think after this weekend his price might well drop a little.

I like Jordan Spieth @ 35/1, he is from Texas so I'm hoping for a bit of local knowledge.

Also another Texan and a man that has a good history here and has had a couple good performances this season is Justin Leonard, @ 80/1 I will also have a small bet on him.

I've backed Kuchar @ 30/1 for The Masters now because I think after this weekend his price might well drop a little.

I'm not even going to study this week. Haven't got the time to.

Billy Horschel for me at 50/1 EW. Has had 2-3 top ten's including a 2nd place this season.

I'm already on Tiger for the Masters from last November at 13/2 so that's the one I'm waiting for really.

fangee wrote: »
    I'm not even going to study this week. Haven't got the time to.

Billy Horschel for me at 50/1 EW. Has had 2-3 top ten's including a 2nd place this season.

I'm already on Tiger for the Masters from last November at 13/2 so that's the one I'm waiting for really.

Where is Horshell 50/1
    Anyway i think Kucher may win but i can't part with cash @14/1,have him backed for the masters next week ante-post so i might play him in running.

My main bet this week is Ben Kohles @110/1 and a top ten finish @12/1

Where is Horshell 50/1
    Anyway i think Kucher may win but i can't part with cash @14/1,have him backed for the masters next week ante-post so i might play him in running.

My main bet this week is Ben Kohles @110/1 and a top ten finish @12/1

He is with most bookies ...... http://www.oddschecker.com/golf/valero-texas-open/valero-texas-open/winner

I know what you mean about 14's in a big field but if he wins..........

Have gone with Harrington @ 40s and Points @ 66s this week.

I've also backed Johnson @ 33s for the Masters next week as i could see his price drop over the next week. Think he'll be a popular bet.

looking on his twitter Speith says he really loves this course,more than most weeks that means a lot on this tricky track so i've added him to my bets @40/1 6 places

i also added Justin Hicks @150/1 e/w 6 places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Just done two for the masters, I'll put a small wager on Saturday morning of the comp if these two are well of the pace, just to keep some interest for the Sunday.

Snedeker, Brandt @ 28/1
    Kuchar, Matt @ 33/1

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Re: the Valero Texas Open this week, gone for the following three bets.

Freddie Jacobson @ 25/1 - Last 5 starts Freddie hasn't finished outside of the Top 25.

In this event, last year he finished in the Top 20, in 2011 and 2009 he finished tied 5th and finally in 2010 he finished runner up. He likes it here. I like him here this week too.

Brendan Steele @ 40/1 - He has an exemplary record in San Antonio. Past champion in 2011 and in his title defence last year, he finished tied fourth.

Ken Duke @ 150/1 - Missed the cut last week but finished 10th at Bay Hill the week before that. Statistically Duke is quite impressive. At present, he ranks second on the PGA Tour in Driving Accuracy, fifth in Approaches from 125-150 yards and sixth in Approaches from 175-200 yards. I wouldn't be surprised if he placed this week and is worth a small stake at least.

I like the sound of Ken Duke from that so will add him along with Spieth and Leonard.

I have also backed Jacobson for The Masters @ 125/1, another one who if he has a good week here his price might drop a little more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

I've had a fiver on Ross Fisher @ 21 to finish in top 5 this week. Pretty speculative but he showed some encouraging signs l last week so hopefully that continues.

i see the bas**** put Speith out with Kucher and McElroy,suppose it could go either way but would have preferred him to be out with a few less high profile players for the first 2
    That said, if he can compete for the first 2 days he will probs be up there come the end of the week.
    I'm looking for a few possibles for first rd leader atm.

Backed John Huh e/w @45/1 and first round leader @40/1

i see the bas**** put Speith out with Kucher and McElroy,suppose it could go either way but would have preferred him to be out with a few less high profile players for the first 2
    That said, if he can compete for the first 2 days he will probs be up there come the end of the week.
    I'm looking for a few possibles for first rd leader atm.

Backed John Huh e/w @45/1 and first round leader @40/1

Working out nicely for you. He's kicking ass in the 3 ball with rory and kuchar.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

What would people expect to be the best odds you will get on Tiger for next week at the Masters?

Normally for the majors i'd do 4 or 5 relatively small bets just to just keep an interest, but tempted to just lump on Woods if I get decent odds, just can't see past him at the moment.

What would people expect to be the best odds you will get on Tiger for next week at the Masters?

Normally for the majors i'd do 4 or 5 relatively small bets just to just keep an interest, but tempted to just lump on Woods if I get decent odds, just can't see past him at the moment.

He's not going to go out in price. What you could do is wait and back him in play. He often doesn't get off to a great start and if he's 4-6 shots off the lead after the first day, his price will go out a bit, but not much.

Degag wrote: »
    He's not going to go out in price. What you could do is wait and back him in play. He often doesn't get off to a great start and if he's 4-6 shots off the lead after the first day, his price will go out a bit, but not much.

Risky. If he makes any kind of good start at all his price will collapse. Even if he starts slow his price won't do what you want it to. He'll need to throw in a take of bogies, in which case his price mightn't disappear, but his chance probably will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Hi guys why dont we do a comp every week everyone picks one player from each tourny starting next week with masters. Then the week after from european, pga and webdotcom tour. Your points are were your player finished obv 1 point means he won tourny if your player finishes 17th you get 17 points etc if your player misses cut then he picks up the points he finished... only bit of fun keep your own scores.... whos in

Advertisement