Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Thaw 2010

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

damn thaw, i'll always remember that damned word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Wind SSW here now, 2.3c, clear & bright sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

temp dropping fast here in n.tipp. 0.6C now and it was at 4.8C earlier on. Looks like all of this slush is going to freeze on my road - nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Freezing hard again here; the water is off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature has been at 1.2 °C for most of the day and has risen in the last hour. Has also been raining most of the day, with the odd shower of sleet/snow. The thaw is fifty percent complete for now I reckon. But by the looks of it there could be further drops in temperature late Tuesday and during Wednesday, but hopefully not to the extent of the really low temps of the last few days.

Temperature: 2.0 °C
    Dew Point: 1.7 °C

• Advertisement

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Current High Low
    Temperature: 3.7 °C 4.1 °C 2.0 °C
    Dew Point: 0.6 °C 3.4 °C 0.6 °C

Snow has 99% gone. Only some remains in very sheltered places and where snowmen were built. I am surprised that there isn't more pooled water around. I suppose the gradual thaw yesterday allowed to to drain away slowly.
    Quite windy, but not as windy as I was expecting. We've had worse.
    Although the air temps are up, the ground temps seem to have dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Grey and green in all directions, strong winds with some rain on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Still snow around our house; grass starting to peep through; footpaths covered in icy slushy snow. Snow gone in city centre and towards coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Snow gone here, apart from a bit of stubborn slush.

Going to be a bit milder for a few days - and then, as Met Eireann say, a gradual return to cold frosty weather again next week....this may be only temporary....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't think so, while its too soon to be certain it looks like the Atlantic has won the battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mike65 wrote: »
    Don't think so, while its too soon to be certain it looks like the Atlantic has won the battle.

yeah that's why it's snowing today;)

of course it has to win eventually, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cork: a lovely white carpet as far as the eye could see late last night - pretty much zero snow this morning, unrelenting rain (not too heavy though) and lots of surface water. Higher temperature obviously, but still weirdly cold for rain. Reports of floods but presumably that's moreso due to the melted snow mixing with the not-particularly-heavy rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Dudess wrote: »
    Cork: a lovely white carpet as far as the eye could see late last night - pretty much zero snow this morning, unrelenting rain (not too heavy though) and lots of surface water. Higher temperature obviously, but still weirdly cold for rain. Reports of floods but presumably that's moreso due to the melted snow mixing with the not-particularly-heavy rain?

I thought the rain and wind was quite heavy here today tbh.

I woke up to the sight of a tree after falling down on the road from the strength of the wind and rain last night, it was really lashing around 4-5 am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

kleefarr wrote: »
    Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: 1.9 °C
    Dew Point: 1.6 °C

Just had a few minutes of snow, big flakes, but it's now turned to rain. Wasn't going to settle anyway, far too wet.

......and it's a blizzard here with the thaw ended.

More snow, just when I thought maybe it was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

MultiUmm wrote: »
    I thought the rain and wind was quite heavy here today tbh.

I woke up to the sight of a tree after falling down on the road from the strength of the wind and rain last night, it was really lashing around 4-5 am.
    Oh yeah sorry, it was very heavy earlier but it's just an insipid drizzle now, and has been for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Min wrote: »
    ......and it's a blizzard here with the thaw ended.

More snow, just when I thought maybe it was over.

that was your biggest mistake- you turned your back on snow and now look what has happened;)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh yeah sorry, it was very heavy earlier but it's just an insipid drizzle now, and has been for a few hours.

No worries. :)

I'd hate to be living in Skibb atm, they're getting an ungodly amount of bad weather over the past few months. :eek:

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Comparatively speaking it's warm and pleasant. No rain, no wind and the kids are back at school. :)

Temperature: 2.5 °C
    Dew Point: 2.2 °C

I hear that other parts of the country are not faring as well though. :(

• 4C here now and most of last nights snow has gone as well as the packed ice, another few hours and it'll be history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Advertisement

Thaw complete here now. Not even the remnants of Mr Snowman are left.
    How's it going in the rest of the country?

Advertisement