Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I saw a beauty sold for 800.
    The polish guy who bought it literally ran to get the money
    He couldn't believe his luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I love that model E Class, in the right colour and spec they are a lovely car.

I sold a 97 E240 Avant-garde with 42k miles for €150 about 5 years ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

swarlb wrote: »
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1164518

Restored some years ago in a place in Wexford, far more money spent on it, considering the asking price.

It was being restored whilst my lancia was in there. There was no expense spared on that thing. Aluminium tub and body panels as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭CoBo55

kyote00 wrote: »

The BX looks very saggy in the tail, 2 brake pipes could be the ones that pass between the subframe and the body, an absolute busturd of a job that was the cause of death for many a BX. A nice one is a lovely one, a bad one will drive you to the nuthouse, shame it isn't diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wasn't that BX owned before by one of the regulars in here, ba_barabus?

Found it:

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

I think they are using the same photos from the last time it was for sale (the BX). It looks familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Yep that was mine. Sold her a couple of weeks ago to the current owner.

She kept getting by passed for other projects and then the paper work got lost and I couldn't get it again.

Vrtd now. It was a good car, needed some TLC but nothing serious that I knew about.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    shame it isn't diesel.

I had so many people nearly vomit when they realised it was a petrol auto and not a diesel. Petrol auto will be a hard sell.

I loved it, it drove very well and smooth. The gearbox is a Jatco one and very reliable.

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Yep that was mine. Sold her a couple of weeks ago to the current owner.

Who put it through the NCT and then discovered it needed that bastard of a job doing that CoBo55 mentioned?

Can't imagine any other reason the current owner wants to sell already. Car looks great and in my book petrol auto is the ideal combination. How much did you sell it for?

unkel wrote: »
    Who put it through the NCT and then discovered it needed that bastard of a job doing that CoBo55 mentioned?

Can't imagine any other reason the current owner wants to sell already. Car looks great and in my book petrol auto is the ideal combination. How much did you sell it for?
    I didn't do the NCT and can't comment if the brake lines that need to be done are the ones mentioned above but I'm surprised the owner isn't just sorting it.

I loved it, only pitfall is it has no power steering and can be heavy to park.

From my understanding the owner has sunk a nice bit more than they paid me into it. Hence why I'm surprised it's being sold. I sold it very cheap but it had no paper work and had been in a shed off the road for over 5 years.

Back when I learnt to drive the vast majority of cars had no power steering and that was grand for everyone. Even grannies had no problem driving :D

Back when I learnt to drive the vast majority of cars had no power steering and that was grand for everyone. Even grannies had no problem driving :D
    I learned to drive in Dublin in a 96 Combo van with no power steering! Well used to it.

The BX steering wheel design made it a pain in the arse as there were so spokes to grip to turn the wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭jmreire

Lots of truck's did not have it either........:D

The current seller of the BX always has a few interesting cars, he had a red BX GTI a few weeks ago. Surprised he is selling it to be honest, in any case he usually spends a good bit of time and money on his cars before selling them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Very cheap (too cheap?) SEC, can't see too much wrong with it from the photos, may be slightly low at the back. Short NCT.

1987 420 SEC, 02/20, €5,650

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-420-sec-87/22869385

YjkxZTVkYzVjZTFjMGE4MDA2OTQ1NDhkNTA5NTZmYzRzxYHZJl5N4QV9K7zTqYbxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzE3Mjg0MjN8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I'm guessing that square plate is hiding something that a rectangular one wouldn't...

MGQ3ZGM0ZGQzMDc2ZjYwOGNlMDczYzE2MTQ4NGNmZTAMAkV3_4IHqXBl6jT9PkPKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzE3Mjg0MjZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Looks a bit rough. Poor gangsta's car. I love it. :D

Looking at it on the laptop now instead of the phone: bottom seal on the rear window is gone, looks like it's all rusted to bits beneath that, serious job to get fixed. Thought it was too good to be true for the price.

• Advertisement

The current seller of the BX always has a few interesting cars, he had a red BX GTI a few weeks ago. Surprised he is selling it to be honest, in any case he usually spends a good bit of time and money on his cars before selling them

From what I've been told has been done this appears to be in the case. It was an easy project that needed the right person. Everything I know it needed has be done.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    From what I've been told has been done this appears to be in the case. It was an easy project that needed the right person. Everything I know it needed has be done.

I wonder why he is backing out now then when the car failed the NCT. The sceptic in my tells me it's a big job need doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

KevRossi wrote: »
    Looking at it on the laptop now instead of the phone: bottom seal on the rear window is gone, looks like it's all rusted to bits beneath that, serious job to get fixed. Thought it was too good to be true for the price.

Exactly. That's where the W/C126's go first. I'd say behind the wheel wells are gone too. Rear windows on those are very thin and easily shatter when you go to take them out. The only way is to sacrifice the rubber and they are now NLA for the coupé. Why oh why is it on a ZV plate when its an 87 car?

I'm guessing that square plate is hiding something that a rectangular one wouldn't...

MGQ3ZGM0ZGQzMDc2ZjYwOGNlMDczYzE2MTQ4NGNmZTAMAkV3_4IHqXBl6jT9PkPKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzE3Mjg0MjZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

The Tin Worm.......but if it was only surface rust, would not be too bad, have to see what it's like under the mats on the flooring ,and have look at the chassis up on a lift. The owner had it rust protected, but you never know.

w124man wrote: »
    Exactly. That's where the W/C126's go first. I'd say behind the wheel wells are gone too. Rear windows on those are very thin and easily shatter when you go to take them out. The only way is to sacrifice the rubber and they are now NLA for the coupé.

I thought you could still get all parts for all Mercedes cars ever made from Mercedes themselves. Or is that a bit of an urban myth?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/honda-civic-no-rust-very-clean/23248200

NmI1OGU2MmNjNmFjNTc3OGI3NzRhZmIxYTUxYjdhZjgBop9tFP3x9eVhkjAGNNO8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzQ1OTExNjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Lovely little car for the money, this. NCT exempt soon too :)

jmreire wrote: »
    The Tin Worm.......but if it was only surface rust, would not be too bad, have to see what it's like under the mats on the flooring ,and have look at the chassis up on a lift. The owner had it rust protected, but you never know.

Look at the chrome strip at the bottom of the rear windscreen,,,
    Then at the rubber seal at the top of the boot...
    Then at the metal strip between the chrome strip and the rubber seal.

It's rusted to bits, serious job to fix that, rear wall at back of seats probably gone as well as some parts under the car which are supporting rear axles etc.
    Rust protection is possibly underseal used to cover the damage or cover a botched repair job.

Lovely little car for the money, this. NCT exempt soon too :)

Strong money and it will have to pass an NCT first before it is exempt sometime next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I thought you could still get all parts for all Mercedes cars ever made from Mercedes themselves. Or is that a bit of an urban myth?

Urban myth, the older you go, the harder it is to get them,

Prices go up like crazy too in a short space of time. Some stuff can be for sale at a reasonable price when its old stock, but can inflate drastically when a new batch get made, window rubbers for a 600 for instance, (I don't own one of course, but know guys restoring them)

That 420 looks rough, cheap 126s are very expensive :rolleyes: ...fine cars though

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    Look at the chrome strip at the bottom of the rear windscreen,,,
    Then at the rubber seal at the top of the boot...
    Then at the metal strip between the chrome strip and the rubber seal.

It's rusted to bits, serious job to fix that, rear wall at back of seats probably gone as well as some parts under the car which are supporting rear axles etc.
    Rust protection is possibly underseal used to cover the damage or cover a botched repair job.

The only way you will ever know for sure, is not by looking at photographs ( which will only give an idea), but by examining the car up close and personal..including having it on a lift, and giving it a serious examination underneat. Even at that, a good heavy coating of body schutz or one of the many sealer's available, will cover a multitude. If it was possible, a good steam clean underneath would reveal quite a lot about it's condition too.
    Most cars of that era, gave rust problems under the window seal's, among other locations on the car ( sliding roof will be a likely candidate too ). Moral of the story is, " when buying a car like this, be careful,,, don't rush the examination before parting with cash."

Advertisement