Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Wheety wrote: »
    Anyone know of the 2019 proof set being for sale anywhere? Have a baby on the way and thought it'd be a nice present but missed it. I know the regular set is out next week but looking for the more collectible proof set.

Anyone ever use this site?

https://www.eurocoinhouse.com/en/country/ireland/ierland-proofset-2019

I bought the proof set from these. Arrived today, €110 including delivery. No. 400+.

It says 'Royal Dutch Mint'. Were they all made there? So many sets on ebay from the same seller. Do they buy wholesale?

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Wheety wrote: »
    I bought the proof set from these. Arrived today, €110 including delivery. No. 400+.

It says 'Royal Dutch Mint'. Were they all made there? So many sets on ebay from the same seller. Do they buy wholesale?

Not too bad at all for a sold out set - it would have cost ~€95.50 retail direct from the Central Bank.

The CB don't mint the sets themselves, its usually another larger European mint, and the Dutch Mint make a lot of sets alright. I doubt the seller has that many sets, probably more like many listings

Spocker wrote: »
    Not too bad at all for a sold out set - it would have cost ~€95.50 retail direct from the Central Bank.

The CB don't mint the sets themselves, its usually another larger European mint, and the Dutch Mint make a lot of sets alright. I doubt the seller has that many sets, probably more like many listings

Thanks.

I don't mean the same seller I bought from. Although that Eurocoinhouse still seem to be selling them. The seller I've seen on Ebay has had at least 5. Suppose that's not a huge number but they've been adding more as they sell them. I stopped bidding at €85 (+ €15 delivery) on a few of them.

Eurocoinhouse are selling the normal UNC Dáil Eireann one for €3.95. Don't even see that on the collectorcoins.ie site. Also this one here, a proof of the 2016 proclamation €2. Don't see it on the Irish site but they still have it.

https://www.eurocoinhouse.com/en/country/ireland/ireland-2-euro-2016-proclamation-of-the-irish-republic-proof

Anyway, if anyone is still looking for the 2019 proof set, I could recommend them. Dispatch took a few days but delivery was quick.

Edit: Oh, and just to add, while researching if the site was genuine, I read that the guy who did run it had died earlier this year. His family are running the business now so it kind of explains the delay. I had queried the delay and, going by the name, I presume it was his son who replied.

Edit2: Had another look on collectorcoins and they do have the Proclamation one I mentioned above. Turns out it is quite a mark up for that coin.

https://www.collectorcoins.ie/en/proclamation-of-the-irish-republic-2-proof-coin-2016.html

Got the Trans-Atlantic coin in the post post today, it's pretty nice, I'm glad I got it. Standards are definately slipping at the CB though, just a nasty sticker on the slip case now, it used to be printed :(

485650.jpg

It's getting to the stage where I'm buying just for the sake of keeping the collection up-to-date, rather than because they are the best produced sets coins ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LUCIFER1001

Would totally agree I'm the same as regards buying and I think there is very little interest on the part of the CB in coin collectors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CarPark2

Is the transatlantic coin sold out?
    It is so annoying that they never seem to put up a notice to say it is sold out. At some stage the link stops working and you just have to guess that maybe it is sold out (or maybe just the link id broken and I should try again tomorrow)!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CarPark2

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Is the transatlantic coin sold out?
    It is so annoying that they never seem to put up a notice to say it is sold out. At some stage the link stops working and you just have to guess that maybe it is sold out (or maybe just the link id broken and I should try again tomorrow)!

My bad! I went in through a different section of the site and was able to buy the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

Any idea of when the Phil Lynott coin release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

champchamp wrote: »

September as far as I know.

Just purchased the transatlantic flight coin. Found it impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any updates on the date? September was mentioned but it's 24th now

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Any updates on the date? September was mentioned but it's 24th now

Doesn't look ike it's coming out this month.
    I hope there's advance notice of the release, I don't want to miss it.

2019 Phil Lynott Collector Coin
    €15 Silver Proof Coin to commemorate 70 years since the year of birth of Irish Musican Phil Lynott

Sale Date: 27th November 2019

Price: €65

Issue Limit: 3,000 coins

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

493058.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

€15 Silver Proof Coin to commemorate 70 years since the year of birth of Irish Musican Phil Lynott

Think it will be popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

The Rory Gallagher coin sold out quickly, this may be the same, heard it announced on RTE radio new at one today. Price though may deter some customers.
    www.collectorcoins.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Would this be worth buying as investment?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Would this be worth buying as investment?

It depends on what kind of return you are expecting, and over what period. Generally though, the advice would be no - they are only limited edition so the Central Bank don't get stuck with them, rather then being an indication of rarity

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

The bank site seems to be down... :(

jdelis wrote: »
    The bank site seems to be down... :(

Yep same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭laros

Waiting to checkout.... refresh icon is just spinning

• Advertisement

site has crashed...looks like a sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

signostic wrote: »
    site has crashed...looks like a sell out

Sellout how, since no one can connect and order...? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

Has anyone been able to purchase it yet?

jdelis wrote: »
    Sellout how, since no one can connect and order...? :confused:

perpahs i should have said 'will be' ;)

laros wrote: »
    Waiting to checkout.... refresh icon is just spinning

same as....and when I put in 2 to order it reverts back to 1 :confused:

I got in and they took my money. Says there was a problem connecting back to the merchant so I presume my order didn't complete?

Says in my account that the order is pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fantafanta

I wonder is it to do with the amount of traffic on the site? It got a fair bit of publicity yesterday, which is unusual.

I'm sitting in checkout screen about 5 mins and nothing happening

fantafanta wrote: »
    I wonder is it to do with the amount of traffic on the site? It got a fair bit of publicity yesterday, which is unusual.

Definitely is. Would be mostly coin collectors normally looking. Now you have Phil Lynott collectors and I'd say there'd be more of them.

Also, people looking to make a quick buck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

signostic wrote: »
    same as....and when I put in 2 to order it reverts back to 1 :confused:

I've the opposite, put in 1 and it tries to sell me 2

Using CC it tells me to contact my card issuer

Maybe Debit card will work

Advertisement