Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random EV thoughts.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Old diesel wrote: »
    Seems to be under way.

Seen pics on IEVOA Facebook and ESB posts talking about it were shared.

I dropped off Facebook a few years ago, so missed that stuff. I found it with a search.

Interesting that the new signs say "electric vehicles priority". Does this now mean that ICE cars can use the spaces when there are no EVs around.... not that it stopped them before. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I am trying to figure out when the Nissan Leaf 30kw was introduced to Ireland/UK.

I see a a couple of 2015 Leafs advertised as 30kw.............but from what I read they didn’t get introduced until 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

I am trying to figure out when the Nissan Leaf 30kw was introduced to Ireland/UK.

I see a a couple of 2015 Leafs advertised as 30kw.............but from what I read they didn’t get introduced until 2016

It was 161 for Ireland, but there were some late 2015 30kWh versions available in the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

If you do a search here you’ll be able to find some great info on when they were brought in here, we only discussed it recently. From memory the weight of the 30kw is heavier than the 24kw and that’s listed on the stamped plate on the car (you’ll find the location in the previous thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I dropped off Facebook a few years ago, so missed that stuff. I found it with a search.

Interesting that the new signs say "electric vehicles priority". Does this now mean that ICE cars can use the spaces when there are no EVs around.... not that it stopped them before. :rolleyes:

eCars responded to that on facebook, The sign was dictated by the car park owners, luas park and ride in this case, who it seems intends to allow ICE to park there.

I'd agree with some of the replies that said if the car park owner isn't willing to enforce EV only then public money should not be wasted on a charger on their property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

I wonder if Luas car parks are regulated by public transport legislation or bylaws? There might be something stopping them from clamping ICE vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Has anyone heard of replacement battery costs for a leaf? Thinking of getting one as a run around. You can get one of the older ones for about 6k over the water and I was thinking if you could replace the battery it would be worth it.

Anyone know if you can put a new, higher kWh battery in an older leaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of replacement battery costs for a leaf? Thinking of getting one as a run around. You can get one of the older ones for about 6k over the water and I was thinking if you could replace the battery it would be worth it.

Anyone know if you can put a new, higher kWh battery in an older leaf?

Same post over here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111519078#post111519078

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rented a Kona yesterday for wifey to try out a couple of range-y working days (300+ km).

Felt quite sedate as expected until I found the "drive mode" button. Wheelspin at 80kph! Although not bad wheelspin like you get in FWD ICE cars with nasty axle tramp. It's most entertaining.

Ionity Gorey working fine, plugged in for a top up at 73% but was only getting 42kW and that rapidly dropped to 18kW in the 80-something percent range. To be expected but obvs "topping up" on a fast charger is not the done thing unless you have a Taycan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭innrain

75% is where it will start to drop even for the 50kW chargers. For me with the ESB chargers it drops first at 35 kW then 24kW up to 80%. After 80% goes to 16kW and after 90% 11kW and less. I normally stop fast charging at 75% as there is no actual gain.
    Better drive another 200 Km and start a new session at 30%

Fastned has nice graphs with charging speeds for most of the EVs.

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    75% is where it will start to drop even for the 50kW chargers. For me with the ESB chargers it drops first at 35 kW then 24kW up to 80%. After 80% goes to 16kW and after 90% 11kW and less. I normally stop fast charging at 75% as there is no actual gain.
    Better drive another 200 Km and start a new session at 30%

Fastned has nice graphs with charging speeds for most of the EVs.

Yeah, in the end I topped up the last 20% overnight on the granny charger. A solid 2kW from my shed. :D

a 7kW charger will do the 25% in about 3 hours.

Visit Ionity at 25% and you have a different experience. It will bring it to 50% in about 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Lumen wrote: »
    but obvs "topping up" on a fast charger is not the done thing unless you have a Taycan.

Standard ionity pricing is a fixed 8 euro so keeping going to 100% is free (I think kona stops at 94% on fast chargers) if you don't value your time waiting.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Standard ionity pricing is a fixed 8 euro so keeping going to 100% is free (I think kona stops at 94% on fast chargers) if you don't value your time waiting.

I would have thought that they're going to have to sort that out in the future if they're going to avoid queues, but since this is the same charging model used in places with very high EV usage (e.g. Norway) maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

I wonder why none of the EV cars has retractable charging cable. Those cables take a lot of space in the boot, and if you travel with boot full it might be a problem. I know that there are different standards and stuff, but then they could make different attachments for different charging stations. Just a random thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

jontr wrote: »
    I wonder why none of the EV cars has retractable charging cable. Those cables take a lot of space in the boot, and if you travel with boot full it might be a problem. I know that there are different standards and stuff, but then they could make different attachments for different charging stations. Just a random thought.

Maybe the same reason your phone doesn't..
    takes up space
    cables degrade and break.

I would have thought that they're going to have to sort that out in the future if they're going to avoid queues, but since this is the same charging model used in places with very high EV usage (e.g. Norway) maybe not.

Tesla in USA have said they will limit supercharging to 80% at peak times in peak locations. It is a bit big brother when many Tesla owners have free charging at superchargers, but makes sense to maximise use and availability. Not great if you need 100% to next charger. If you use manginau card on ionity it is a price per kWh which means you pay less if you stop earlier, but do not pay any real penalty up to 100%. Esb intend applying overstay fees but charging per kWh which again does not encourage people to leave at 80% fast charge.

Tesla destination chargers are tethered, so you don't bring your own cable. Fast chargers are all tethered. Many cars have a frunk, storage in the front trunk, typically used for charging cables, which is very useful if boot is full of luggage and charging cable is underneath a shelf as is typical on many cars. You can buy coiled spiral type cables but feedback is that these do not stretch well and do not store well. I used tethered charger at home to prevent putting wet cables into the boot after nightly charge in case I need it. I fit a type 2 cable, a granny cable and a 15 metre waterproof extension cable under the boot floor. Some people also swear by an ICE breaker cable which is an extra long cable to allow parking far away from a blocked slow charger and running a cable from a far away parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

VikingG wrote: »
    Maybe the same reason your phone doesn't..
    takes up space
    cables degrade and break.

Cable (or rather multiple cables) in the boot also take space...
    As for degradation - service?
    And noone says that there can't be a charging point next to the cable for chargers with tethered cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Rented a Kona yesterday for wifey to try out a couple of range-y working days (300+ km).

Felt quite sedate as expected until I found the "drive mode" button. Wheelspin at 80kph! Although not bad wheelspin like you get in FWD ICE cars with nasty axle tramp. It's most entertaining.

Ionity Gorey working fine, plugged in for a top up at 73% but was only getting 42kW and that rapidly dropped to 18kW in the 80-something percent range. To be expected but obvs "topping up" on a fast charger is not the done thing unless you have a Taycan.

Where did you rent the kona?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Primarily because the cable needs to be fully unwound to use it or it runs the risk of overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

physioman wrote: »
    Where did you rent the kona?

ufodrive have one - rented it a few months back for a day. Renting the model 3 later this month for same!
    www.ufodrive.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Keep it in the bag, nice and neat. And how and why are people lugging around multiple cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

JPA wrote: »
    why are people lugging around multiple cables?

I have my granny cable in the boot in case of emergency.

Also type 2 cable in the frunk.

mike_2009 wrote: »
    ufodrive have one - rented it a few months back for a day. Renting the model 3 later this month for same!
    www.ufodrive.com

GOcar has two in town. I checked the prices 12/h plus .5 per Km first 50 Km included.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Alkers, would think you're right on that. A simple example is a standard 10M Ext cablebox. It has three times the rating when opened out compared to in the wound up position. I have seen them melt where they weren't pulled out fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I have my granny cable in the boot in case of emergency.

Also type 2 cable in the frunk.

Do both not fit in the frunk or your i3?

I also carry both, I took out the hard plastic divider under my boot, which created enough space for both cables, a few shopping bags, 12V tyre pump and a rain jacket. But a frunk would have been better of course if your boot is fully loaded sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

unkel wrote: »
    Do both not fit in the frunk of your i3?

Nah, might do if I crammed them all but it's just as easy to leave the granny cable in the boot.

I have a 7m 3 phase cable too so it's pretty chunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah granny cable really is only emergency. Probably never need it unless you are away in a holiday home or something and need destination charging. I used mine twice in over 2.5 years (holiday home and hotel)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah granny cable really is only emergency. Probably never need it unless you are away in a holiday home or something and need destination charging. I used mine twice in over 2.5 years (holiday home and hotel)

Imagine my cursing as I realised I had forgotten my granny cable this week. Fortunately the type 2 chargers here are working and available.

Advertisement