Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-10-2019, 14:28   #1021
Birneybau

New DIIV album out today, 'Deceiver'. One of my favourite bands, gone for a heavier sound this time around.

And brand new Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds album, 'Ghosteen'. Very synthy and mellow from first listen.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-ever-recorded

Quote:
On one level, it shouldn’t be surprising that it’s as good as it is: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have been in a career-high purple patch since the last double album they released, 2004’s Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus. Nevertheless, listening to Ghosteen, it’s very hard indeed not to be taken aback.
Advertisement
04-10-2019, 14:56   #1022
Richard Roma

Also, Angel Olson’s new album is out. Produced by John Congleton who also did Sharon Van Etten’s Remind me Tomorrow. Sounds good on first listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birneybau View Post
New DIIV album out today, 'Deceiver'. One of my favourite bands, gone for a heavier sound this time around.

And brand new Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds album, 'Ghosteen'. Very synthy and mellow from first listen.

Thanks from:
04-10-2019, 15:29   #1023
loyatemu

Quote:

got bored with the Nick Cave album after about 5 tracks and I'm now listening to Abattoir Blues instead. Wasn't mad on his last couple of records either.
04-10-2019, 15:54   #1024
Birneybau

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
Quote:

got bored with the Nick Cave album after about 5 tracks and I'm now listening to Abattoir Blues instead. Wasn't mad on his last couple of records either.
I do prefer the rockier stuff myself, "Dig!!!Lazarus!!!Dig!!!"would be up there with "Abbatoir Blues" for me
04-10-2019, 16:27   #1025
Arghus

The new Angel Olsen seems like a return to form, she lost me a bit with My Woman, even though critics raved about it, it wasn't as strong for me as Burn Your Fire..., which was an unbelievable record, every song was great.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-10-2019, 16:43   #1026
sweetie

New Wilco is pretty understated after a couple of listens but I think it's a grower
05-10-2019, 17:16   #1027
Arghus

Okay, I think the new Angel Olsen might be awesome. It certainly gets better the more I listen.
06-10-2019, 09:09   #1028
divide_by_zero

The new Boris record Love & Evol is excellent, definitely worth a listen.
11-10-2019, 01:45   #1029
Arghus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
I thought it felt a bit unsubstantial myself at first - all that floating ambiance can feel weightless - but I think it's a grower. The two longer songs on the second half of the album are outstanding. If you're in the right frame of mind they sound overwhelming.

I wouldn't entirely believe all the hype about it being this new version of him as a happy and welcoming New Agey guy. Most of these songs sound deliberately heavenly at first, but they have teeth - it's a deceptively dark record.

The final song, Hollywood, is something else - so ominous and brooding, maybe the only one here that's unambiguously grim sounding. I was listening to earlier today, going about my business, and there's a line in the song where he sings -

" The kid drops his bucket and spade
And climbs into the sun" -

and then the song immediately changes in feel and the weird bassline becomes even more prominent and utterly fcked sounding and I thought of the death of his son, which is there through everything on the record, and...just... powerful piece of music.
Advertisement
11-10-2019, 09:10   #1030
S.M.B.

Big Thief really have rose to the upper echelon of the alt rock community in a reasonably short space of time.

Looks like they could have two albums featured very high up in the upcoming AOTY polls.
11-10-2019, 21:14   #1031
mosstin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.M.B. View Post
Big Thief really have rose to the upper echelon of the alt rock community in a reasonably short space of time.

Looks like they could have two albums featured very high up in the upcoming AOTY polls.

'UFOF' is the best album I've heard in about 3 years. Listening to the new one now expectantly.
12-10-2019, 09:16   #1032
divide_by_zero

Kim Gordon's new album No Home Record is excellent and is a hell of a lot shorter than Thurston Moore's lastest release Spirit Counsel (which if you have a spare two and a half hours is a great listen).

Bats new one Alter nature is also worth a listen.
16-10-2019, 12:31   #1033
loyatemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosstin View Post
'UFOF' is the best album I've heard in about 3 years. Listening to the new one now expectantly.
new Big Thief is unsurprisingly excellent. They're definitely one of the best bands around currently, 4 great albums in 4 years, & Lencker's solo stuff is also really good.

Last edited by loyatemu; 16-10-2019 at 12:44.
16-10-2019, 13:14   #1034
sweetie

New Tandem Felix Rom-com album is really good, like Wilco jamming with Teenage Fanclub.
Also the late David Turpin Romances is also very good, 10 guest singers including Conor O Brien, Elephant and Martin McCann (Sack) over disco-pop, synthy type stuff.
18-10-2019, 09:50   #1035
flasher0030

Quote:
Originally Posted by divide_by_zero View Post
Kim Gordon's new album No Home Record is excellent and is a hell of a lot shorter than Thurston Moore's lastest release Spirit Counsel (which if you have a spare two and a half hours is a great listen).

Bats new one Alter nature is also worth a listen.

I hope its better than the muck that she was coming out with at the "gig" in Royal Hospital Kilmainham couple of months ago. That was some drivel. I like Sonic Youth and went along expecting something of a resemblance. No chance.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion