Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDip in Software Develpment: do I go with Maynooth or NCI? Does it even matter?

• 29-08-2019 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I've been offered a place on both Maynooth and NCI's 1-year HDip in Software Development through Springboard, and I need to make a decision between the two very soon. I'm leaning heavily towards NCI, mainly because the classroom hours would be in the evening and this would allow me some time to actually keep my current job on a part-time basis and make a living during the day, which is essential. If I went with Maynooth, I'd likely have to find another job that offers hours that could be worked around my classroom hours. Not impossible, but definitely not ideal.

My main concern is whether or not opting for NCI would leave me at a big disadvantage when it comes to looking for work afterwards? I've heard mixed things about NCI in general, and though I'm sure the tales of employers flat-out refusing to hire NCI graduates are totally exagerrated, I am a little hesitant. Especially comparing its reputation to that of Maynooth. I could be way off the mark here though.

I have no experience with software development, just some introductory courses I've been taking online, so I know the course will be challenging either way. But I'd love to hear from anyone who has done either of these courses and can offer some guidance, as well as just your experience in general with regard to the college, the workload, and finding employment afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I would pick the one which gives you the most comfortable life and free time to study and work on projects in your own time.

A 1 year course in software development will be essentially useless to you unless you study and learn on your own time and create your own development projects which you can use as a portfolio to find work after you graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I would pick the one which gives you the most comfortable life and free time to study and work on projects in your own time.

A 1 year course in software development will be essentially useless to you unless you study and learn on your own time and create your own development projects which you can use as a portfolio to find work after you graduate.

It depends on his previous degree.

But yes, personal projects matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It depends on his previous degree.

But yes, personal projects matter.

He mentioned he has no previous software dev experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

He mentioned he has no previous software dev experience.

if it’s an engineering or stem or mathematics degree that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thrillhouse11

Appreciate the responses. My educational and professional background is in media, education and arts in general, with some retail and admin work sprinkled in over the years. So yeah, nothing in STEM, so it looks like I have a hefty workload ahead of me for the next while.

I went with NCI in the end, the evening class hours would suit me best and from talking to other people over the last few days it seems a lot of the criticisms I've heard leveled against the college are a bit overblown.

Bit daunted but excited to give it a proper go, hopefully I'll be somewhat employable by this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Appreciate the responses. My educational and professional background is in media, education and arts in general, with some retail and admin work sprinkled in over the years. So yeah, nothing in STEM, so it looks like I have a hefty workload ahead of me for the next while.

I went with NCI in the end, the evening class hours would suit me best and from talking to other people over the last few days it seems a lot of the criticisms I've heard leveled against the college are a bit overblown.

Bit daunted but excited to give it a proper go, hopefully I'll be somewhat employable by this time next year.

I'm enrolled in the 2 year online version and have just finished my first year. Have had good and bad lecturers so far, but like other posters have said you need to supplement with your own learning in order to thrive. We have had issues with some poor lecturers, classes changing hands etc., but considering the course is free I'm reasonably happy so far. It gives you direction which you need when studying software I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thrillhouse11

IrishKev wrote: »
    I'm enrolled in the 2 year online version and have just finished my first year. Have had good and bad lecturers so far, but like other posters have said you need to supplement with your own learning in order to thrive. We have had issues with some poor lecturers, classes changing hands etc., but considering the course is free I'm reasonably happy so far. It gives you direction which you need when studying software I think.

Congrats on finishing your first year! Did you have a background in tech going into it? And are there any online courses, resources, etc. in particular you'd recommend to supplement the course work?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Sorry for the delayed response on this. I didn't have a tech background going into this, but did spend some time learning Javascript on websites like Udemy and Pluralsight. Even going into second year I still feel like this is very necessary in order to get sorted with work once/before I finish.

Udemy and Pluralsight are the best that I've used - Tim Buchalka's Udemy course on Java is very comprehensive and is well explained. Due to work constraints I'm nowhere near finishing it yet but hope to knuckle down over the coming months and develop a strong understanding of the language. The only issue is the coursework and the online courses often don't overlap, which won't help you in the short term regarding CAs, exams etc., but can only be a good help in the long term as you'll get a much better understanding of the language.

How are you finding the course so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Talisman

As a general rule those courses only get you started - you need to put a lot more effort in yourself. Higher Diplomas are rated similar to Honours Bachelor Degrees, in order for that to be true the students are expected to invest alot of time in themselves. The part time courses give you ~30% of what you need and it's up to you to make up the deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I graduated from NCI 4 year computing degree last May. It was a fantastic college, I loved it, I loved the lectures and everything about it. It was the best thing I ever did. I got a job as a software developer almost immediately, and I'm now on my second job as a contractor. Nearly everyone in my class who wanted a dev job (not all did) is now working as a dev. NCI is fantastic, but you will only be good dev if you put in the extra work yourself to learn.

My brother is at the start of the same course I did, and he loves it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

IrishKev wrote: »

Just to note that while the course is free to you, NCI are getting well paid to deliver the course, so don't let them off the hook too easily.

Advertisement