Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take with a grain of salt?.."Could coffee replace insulin injections for diabetics?"

• 24-08-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭

From a couple of months ago:
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jun/19/could-coffee-replace-insulin-injections-for-diabetics

Is this a joke? First of all, kudos to the Guardian on an insanely misleading title. Secondly, why the heck would the designers not just engineer their system to respond to glucose instead of caffeine? Is this the biotech version of a Rube Goldberg machine?...hook it up to a glucose monitor to tell you how much coffee to drink to activate the implants...:p

Caveat: I haven't yet looked at the original research report, so may be missing something...
    Update: OK, I’ve had a quick scan of the paper linked in the article now, but it still seems a silly choice of inducer to me, depending on the user routinely consuming caffeinated beverages, and providing no glucose-dependent modulation

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Haven't read the paper but I imagine they didn't pick caffeine, caffeine worked so they went with that?

Fine for type 2 and possibly helpful to type 1s with the release of GLP1, as you said, very misleading title that gives the impression insulin is being released.

Might be good for people in need of diet assistance as well.

Advertisement