Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why was DONALD TRUMP TRIBUTE THREAD CLOSED

Options
  • 24-02-2020 9:14am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Why was this thread closed ?

It seems like blatant censorship.
    What happened to freedom of the press and all that mullarkey.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112624419#post112624419

Ive attempted to post videos of Trump rallys in the Political thread on him and they have been removed and I gor infractions for doing so.

There does'nt seem to be a pro-Trump outlet available on boards, so why would you not allow the opening of a thread where pro-Trumpers can freely express comment and post general Trump administration information, links, tidbits in a civil manner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You weren't banned or infracted. Moving from DR to feedback.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

So can someone explain why this thread was closed ?

And if it is to remain closed can you tell me where I can freely and regularly post videos of Donald Trump rallys, and positive media relating to him.
    They tend to get removed from his thread on politics.

Its okay if you tell me that you dont allow any links to videos of Trump rallys , or say you want to censor pro-Trump posts.
    Thats okay , ye are the guardians of this forum.
    I just like to know what level of censorship Im dealing with here and how deep it runs.. is it all the way to the top or just a few mods on a few threads.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you asked the mod who closed it?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mr E wrote: »
    You weren't banned or infracted. Moving from DR to feedback.

And as it's forum and thread specific, and not sitewide feedback moved onto Help Desk

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you asked the mod who closed it?

Well at a minimum one would reasonably expect that if a Mod determines to close a thread , they would do the courtesy of explaining why.

All that was declared in the last post was a resounding 'NO' . I wasnt even sure it had been closed by that poster.

So i didnt think there was much for turning if that was the position of the mod .

I can certainly ask them WHY and also if it is to remain closed can you tell me where I can freely and regularly post videos of Donald Trump rallys, and positive media relating to him. They tend to get removed from his thread on politics.

So much angst over a simple thread, it makes me think Ive touched a nerve.
    Time will tell where that nerve truly ends .

• Advertisement

While waiting your confirmation or otherwise (EDIT: apologies I was drafting this up when you posted), you say you want a "pro-Trump" thread, and sought to put one in AH. You have been around long enough to know that any such thread will descend into two ends of the spectrum arguing about things that may be considered "offensive" by people at one or other end of that spectrum?

We cannot expect posters to simply put up positive things about him, and if we did it would become an echo chamber.

Of course it would also be a magnet for trolls, and we could expect significant mod intervention and actions against posters.

Is that what you want from a thread?

We all know whats really going on here, lets not pretend. For you to claim you support closing the thread to protect it from evolving into an echo chamber, well really lets be gentlemen here and not insult anyones intelligence.
    Echo chambers abound around here, especially when it comes to the Orange man.

So as Einstein said, the mark of a truly intelligent man is the ability to answer a simple question. So lets put it to the test..

Can you tell me where I can freely and regularly post videos of Donald Trump rallys and the like ?

The mod came back to me..
    says it belongs in the POLITICS thread . Seems a fair point I give them that.

So we have a solution .

Can someone move the thread to the the Politics Thread ?

Unless of course the bucket marked reasons to censor pro-Trump posts has not yet been exhausted.

RIGOLO wrote: »
    For you to claim you support closing the thread to protect it from evolving into an echo chamber, well really lets be gentlemen here and not insult anyones intelligence.
    Did I say I supported closing the thread?

The point I was making is it could be expected to descend into anarchy if you are looking to restrict it to pro-Trump discussion.

If you wish to start a thread in Politics I would suggest contacting the mods first. I'm not convinced it would work there either

The one forum it may work in would be one I am a mod of, Current Affairs, but again any idea of simply posting positive things about Trump will not work. We have seen a few Trump-specific threads there and we already have one on the forthcoming election.

One thing I would add though is that this is a discussion site and we will not allow posters just to put up links to videos with no context/narrative supporting whatever the video is claimed to show

Ye win. Its apparent theres an endless bucket of excuses and reasons to be trotted out to justify the censorship of pro-Trump message.
    I get it, its your football, your rules, such is life.

Im happy. Mission accomplished, the rot is systemic from root to leaf tip.
    I did often wonder how far that censorship ran, now I know its not just the 'useful idiots' who patrol the daily traffic, it goes to the top.

As Churchill remarked, history has thought us England always wins the last battle. So too with Trump I suspect, 2020 will be his greatest victory, his will be the last and among the greatest.

I let ye too your non-echo echo chamber.

Good luck with the cycling and Id advice you not to apply your blinkers to your cycling. Remember to always look both ways , left and most especially RIGHT, for its from the right (both literally and figuratively) that some of the greatest surprises may come from. See ye in 2024 :D

• Advertisement

I'm curious now. What's your objection to what I outlined for a thread in CA? Is it you want to just dump video links without much narrative, or is is you do not want any negative commentary in the thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement