Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issue With Admin's Enforcement Of Rules

• 06-03-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

If it's a complaint you can start a thread in the Help Desk forum

This is what Beasty told me, so I hope it's the right place to post this.

So I was posting in the Current Affairs/IMHO forum, which states as its description that the forum is intended to be used for "frank exchanges of views on serious and at-times controversial topics".

Regardless of the fact it was an IMHO post which was slightly controversial, Beasty told me that it was not suitable for the forum because it's:
    Not a Current Affairs topic. It is a topic that is going to have polarised views.

To make it clear, I'm not entirely disputing the infractions I received for use of bad language, I assumed that since it was AH it was generally accepted to use profanity when describing PC culture.

But regardless, from what I gather from Beasty, the reason for the ban was to do with a thread I posted regarding Travellers. If this is not the case, then sure maybe he will try and use another reason to validate the ban, but he still told me I would not be allowed to post about Travellers in the forum again if I were to be unbanned.

Now he claims I'm a troll, but I have seen several users posting about his oddly strict rules around anything to do with the traveller community.

But eventually he concedes that I can indeed post about it if I first prove I'm not a troll through posting about other topics across the forum. Keep in mind this was my first, and only thread about travellers. I had no posted about them once before this thread was posted, so for him to claim I am trolling and have some issues against travellers makes no sense.
    You seem obsessed with travellers. There are thousands of other topics you can discuss on this site. Try some of them to show me you are not a troll

Look, I know how the Boards hierarchy works, and I'm not expecting him to lose admin. He invests far too much of his own time in this site for such a thing to happen; and he is indeed an asset to the community with all the work he puts in, which I assume goes unpaid. My issue is with his inability to clarify rules. I have asked several times if I am allowed to post about this topic, and he doesn't give me a straight answer. I want an answer to that and also a clear explanation as to why I received a forum ban. I also want to know why literally every thread about travellers has been closed by him. I'm not the only member who has been complaining about this, and upon posting it I was told by a lot of members that it wouldn't last 10 minutes. I think it lasted about 12.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

It's been two days. Is Beasty seriously the only person with authority to reply to these disputes?!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anyone can respond, but we will only approve relevant/constructive responses. It is the weekend though and we don't have any office staff around, and relatively few Admins about. As your complaint is about an Admin I suspect others who may be Mods or CMods may be less inclined to contribute to such a discussion (although they are entitled to, as this is Help Desk and not the DRP)

Those of us who are about can be very busy elsewhere on the site, and indeed the Coronavirus discussions are taking up quite a lot of my own time on the site at present

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    I have asked several times if I am allowed to post about this topic, and he doesn't give me a straight answer. I want an answer to that
    It is clear from the few posts you had in that thread you started (which was entirely inappropriate for Current Affairs by the way, it was a thread about moderation and did not belong there) that you don't want to discuss the topic, you want to rant and be able to say whatever you like and that does not fly here. You can post about any topic once you pay attention to the site and forum rules and post in a relatively mature manner.
    and also a clear explanation as to why I received a forum ban.
    Again, it looks like your angry outrage posts as a fairly new user earned you a forum ban. It gives you time to review the forum charter so you know what is allowed in Current Affairs when your ban is up.
    I also want to know why literally every thread about travellers has been closed by him. I'm not the only member who has been complaining about this, and upon posting it I was told by a lot of members that it wouldn't last 10 minutes. I think it lasted about 12.
    Again, the thread on the subject of moderation was not going to last as it's not the place for it. Rightly or wrongly most threads about travellers usually descend into an ugly mess and end up being closed.

It is clear from the few posts you had in that thread you started (which was entirely inappropriate for Current Affairs by the way, it was a thread about moderation and did not belong there) that you don't want to discuss the topic, you want to rant and be able to say whatever you like and that does not fly here. You can post about any topic once you pay attention to the site and forum rules and post in a relatively mature manner.

Again, it looks like your angry outrage posts as a fairly new user earned you a forum ban. It gives you time to review the forum charter so you know what is allowed in Current Affairs when your ban is up.

Again, the thread on the subject of moderation was not going to last as it's not the place for it. Rightly or wrongly most threads about travellers usually descend into an ugly mess and end up being closed.

Ok cool, so to be clear I am allowed to re-post a thread regarding travellers in the section specified so long as it pertains to the topic of Irish travellers and does not hint towards any cover-up by Boards staff?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ok cool, so to be clear I am allowed to re-post a thread regarding travellers in the section specified so long as it pertains to the topic of Irish travellers and does not hint towards any cover-up by Boards staff?

Tell you what - start something like that and there is every chance I will siteban you. We really have a lot on our plates at present and if you decide to try and troll us and other users with your obsession towards travellers your posting privileges will be revoked

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Tell you what - start something like that and there is every chance I will siteban you. We really have a lot on our plates at present and if you decide to try and troll us and other users with your obsession towards travellers your posting privileges will be revoked

I am so confused what you are saying. Niamh has clarified above that the reason for my ban was because of discussing moderators covering up traveller discussions.

Now you are saying I'm not allowed to talk about travellers. Can I just get some clarification, are we not allowed to post about travellers or what? If not, then that's fine and I won't. I just want to know is there a rule against it, that way I can complain about the rule rather than be very confused about the vague rules you seem to be expecting me to follow yet not posted anywhere.

I am so confused what you are saying. Niamh has clarified above that the reason for my ban was because of discussing moderators covering up traveller discussions.

Now you are saying I'm not allowed to talk about travellers. Can I just get some clarification, are we not allowed to post about travellers or what? If not, then that's fine and I won't. I just want to know is there a rule against it, that way I can complain about the rule rather than be very confused about the vague rules you seem to be expecting me to follow yet not posted anywhere.

I am saying your obsession with talking about travellers, and indeed the threads you tried to start on the subject, make it pretty clear to me you are trolling

Contribute to threads in a non-trolling fashion and there will not be an issue. Start threads with the intention of having digs at travellers and I'll ban you

I am saying your obsession with talking about travellers, and indeed the threads you tried to start on the subject, make it pretty clear to me you are trolling

Contribute to threads in a non-trolling fashion and there will not be an issue. Start threads with the intention of having digs at travellers and I'll ban you

How is it an obsession when that was my first ever post about travellers.

There is no point in us arguing, with all due respect, since I tried to get a straight answer from you in PM but didn't.

Niamh, could you please clarify? He tells me the reason for the forum ban was for having a go at mods, which is fine. Then he tells me there is no problem talking about travellers at all. He still says that I might get a site ban if I do post about them though, even though he's admitted it's not against the rules. I am really not trying to make a big deal out of this, I just want a straight answer for god's sake. Can someone tell me is it against the rules to talk about travellers, and if not, then why is he threatening to give me a site ban if I post a thread about them there.

He says I'm obsessed with travellers but I've never posted about them before this thread, and I don't recall ever encountering Beasty before this for him to have come to this assumption. He doesn't give a straight answer to a very basic question around the rules, which is why I came here, so I'm looking for another admin to tell me if it's against the rules to post a thread about Irish Travellers detailing my opinion on them and asking for a general discussion about them in the IMHO section.

How is it an obsession when that was my first ever post about travellers.

There is no point in us arguing, with all due respect, since I tried to get a straight answer from you in PM but didn't.

Niamh, could you please clarify? He tells me the reason for the forum ban was for having a go at mods, which is fine. Then he tells me there is no problem talking about travellers at all. He still says that I might get a site ban if I do post about them though, even though he's admitted it's not against the rules. I am really not trying to make a big deal out of this, I just want a straight answer for god's sake. Can someone tell me is it against the rules to talk about travellers, and if not, then why is he threatening to give me a site ban if I post a thread about them there.

He says I'm obsessed with travellers but I've never posted about them before this thread, and I don't recall ever encountering Beasty before this for him to have come to this assumption. He doesn't give a straight answer to a very basic question around the rules, which is why I came here, so I'm looking for another admin to tell me if it's against the rules to post a thread about Irish Travellers detailing my opinion on them and asking for a general discussion about them in the IMHO section.

It sounds like you want to set up a thread to have a rant about travellers because it's your "opinion" and not much else, would I be right?
    If there is a specific issue, incident or news item that people want to discuss (within the site rules) they can go ahead and do that. A "Let's all talk about travellers" thread is not an appropriate thread for Current Affairs or any other forum on the site. Is that clear enough now?

It sounds like you want to set up a thread to have a rant about travellers because it's your "opinion" and not much else, would I be right?
    If there is a specific issue, incident or news item that people want to discuss (within the site rules) they can go ahead and do that. A "Let's all talk about travellers" thread is not an appropriate thread for Current Affairs or any other forum on the site. Is that clear enough now?

There always has been a topic. The initial thread I was banned for was about travellers driving down the motorway in their horse-drawn carriages. That was what I wanted to talk about and give my two cents on but I got banned for that.

I know at this point it happened a little while ago but I would like to re-post it as I didn't get the chance to discuss it. Beasty keeps saying I am not allowed to post a thread about this.

• Advertisement

The thread you started in Current Affairs had the following first sentence:
    I'm interested to know what you all think about the censorship on this forum of topics regarding Irish travellers.

You then linked to a closed thread

You picked up a couple of red cards for your behaviour in that thread and I closed the thread as you were essentially complaining about moderation

You then wanted to start a thread about travellers sulky racing on the motorway. I pointed out we had already had a discussion on the subject (one that had been closed 10 days or so earlier). You then wanted to start another on the same topic. I was simply not having that and I told you via PM that it was not acceptable. You are now here complaining about my behaviour because I will not allow you to discuss (in Current Affairs) an incident that had happened a month earlier, had been discussed, and had the discussion closed down due to the behaviour of some posters in the thread

And you seriously think we should allow you to start the exact same discussion again? You claim not to have some kind of obsession about discussing travellers? If that is the case then my only conclusion is you are an out and out troll

Anyway I have far more important things to deal with on this site than you, but my threat to siteban remains so please do not claim you were not warned

The thread you started in Current Affairs had the following first sentence:

You then linked to a closed thread

You picked up a couple of red cards for your behaviour in that thread and I closed the thread as you were essentially complaining about moderation

You then wanted to start a thread about travellers sulky racing on the motorway. I pointed out we had already had a discussion on the subject (one that had been closed 10 days or so earlier). You then wanted to start another on the same topic. I was simply not having that and I told you via PM that it was not acceptable. You are now here complaining about my behaviour because I will not allow you to discuss (in Current Affairs) an incident that had happened a month earlier, had been discussed, and had the discussion closed down due to the behaviour of some posters in the thread

And you seriously think we should allow you to start the exact same discussion again? You claim not to have some kind of obsession about discussing travellers? If that is the case then my only conclusion is you are an out and out troll

Anyway I have far more important things to deal with on this site than you, but my threat to siteban remains so please do not claim you were not warned

Hold on there Beasty, I think I caught you out on a little white lie.

You told me in PM that I was allowed to post the thread about travellers racing, but I would first have to prove I'm not a troll by posting about other topics. You started to accuse me of being obsessed with travellers, despite never posting about them before.

I have asked on a multitude of occasions if I would be allowed to post about them. The content of the thread does not matter, a discussion on Pavee point, their culture or general aspects of the travelling life should fit right into that section and you know it damn well. You tried to push your weight around when I challenged you by asking which rule I was breaking by posting it. You still haven't shown me any charter which would indicate that a IMHO thread about travellers is off-topic or not belonging to this section. You're a bully. The way you treated me in PM was ridiculous, when I was always polite and considerate and asking to resolve this outside of this. You kept calling me a troll, telling me I had an obsession. I can see the hold you have on this forum even when trying to report this behavior seeing that there is barely anyone to even report it to. I hardly ever expected Niamh to do more than glance at this and back you up but I'm hoping she will take the time to read some of the PMs you sent to me and hopefully issue an apology and we can leave it at that.

No - if a thread is closed, it is closed for a reason and re-posting the same thing again would be deliberately antagonistic.
    There always has been a topic. The initial thread I was banned for was about travellers driving down the motorway in their horse-drawn carriages. That was what I wanted to talk about and give my two cents on but I got banned for that.

I know at this point it happened a little while ago but I would like to re-post it as I didn't get the chance to discuss it. Beasty keeps saying I am not allowed to post a thread about this.
    We're not re-opening a closed thread for your "two cents", the world will have to live without it I'm afraid. If you weren't around when the thread was open that's too bad.
    Hold on there Beasty, I think I caught you out on a little white lie.

You told me in PM that I was allowed to post the thread about travellers racing, but I would first have to prove I'm not a troll by posting about other topics. You started to accuse me of being obsessed with travellers, despite never posting about them before.

I have asked on a multitude of occasions if I would be allowed to post about them. The content of the thread does not matter, a discussion on Pavee point, their culture or general aspects of the travelling life should fit right into that section and you know it damn well. You tried to push your weight around when I challenged you by asking which rule I was breaking by posting it. You still haven't shown me any charter which would indicate that a IMHO thread about travellers is off-topic or not belonging to this section. You're a bully. The way you treated me in PM was ridiculous, when I was always polite and considerate and asking to resolve this outside of this. You kept calling me a troll, telling me I had an obsession. I can see the hold you have on this forum even when trying to report this behavior seeing that there is barely anyone to even report it to. I hardly ever expected Niamh to do more than glance at this and back you up but I'm hoping she will take the time to read some of the PMs you sent to me and hopefully issue an apology and we can leave it at that.

It sounds very much like you are not interested in resolving this but in rules-lawyering your way to some sort of 'win'.

What you are complaining about seems to have changed over the course of the thread and now you are accusing Beasty of lying and bullying. I'm closing this thread now, it's clear you are not interested in a resolution but only some sort of win that you will not be getting.

By the way, we cannot read your PMs. Report them if you feel there is anything untoward in them but having worked with Beasty here over a long period of time, I highly doubt it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement