Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huawei /Honor

Options

Comments

the matebook d 14 and the honor magicbook 14 are the exact same laptop aside from branding

Huawei own both

the deal, if you can get it, with the magicwatch 2 is great.

otherwise, matebook d 14 cheaper on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-MateBook-2020-Multi-Screen-Collaboration/dp/B085YM9K63/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=matebook+d14&qid=1595119478&sr=8-2

amazon's service is far better than Harvey Norman, even at a distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I bought the magicbook based on glasso recommendation, couldn't be happier it's a great little laptop, so neat and tidy, and it whizzes along.

I was one of the lucky ones to get it with the bag/smartwatch included, the watch in particular is a very nice touch, and I've had several people comment on it.

Another recommendation for the magicbook here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

McMurphy wrote: »
    I bought the magicbook based on glasso recommendation, couldn't be happier it's a great little laptop, so neat and tidy, and it whizzes along.

I was one of the lucky ones to get it with the bag/smartwatch included, the watch in particular is a very nice touch, and I've had several people comment on it.

Another recommendation for the magicbook here.

Where did you get that deal?

The link to the smartwatch deal is to be found above in OP post

Back on again it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

@Glasso.

Tried sending you a message. Your inbox is full....

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    @Glasso.

Tried sending you a message. Your inbox is full....

thanks, cleared out a bit of space

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mno101

glasso wrote: »
    The link to the smartwatch deal is to be found above in OP post

Back on again it seems

hi, thanks for all the info. the link is too the hihonor.com website ...but the only option if for UK...there is no option to register or purchase for Ireland,

I could use parcel motel..just wondering if anyone else has used parecl motel UK address with hihonor before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭try_again

I used addresspal and collected from post office yesterday - no problems. I also bought it based on the recommendations here by glasso and I'm delighted with it. I managed to use a few coupons on the site so i got £30 off and I got the bundle with wireless mouse, earphones and a cover. There was a delay with them dispatching - it took about ten days for them to send out - and there was no indication that there would be a delay when ordering. Apart from that - happy with purchase and would also recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

Ive been thinking of buying a new laptopand the Magicbook loooks good.I have similar use to the OP but will also have a Citrix on it for office use.

Im also looking at the Ideapad and configured the following for €513 using the exclusivewrkt discount(cant getthe email 10% to work as well)

Processor : AMD Ryzen 3 4300U Processor (2.70GHz, Max Boost up to 3.70GHz, 4 Cores, 4MB Cache)
    Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
    Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Microsoft Productivity Software : Microsoft Office Trial
    Memory : 8GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
    Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2242, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    Display : 14.0" FHD (1920x1080), TN, Anti-glare, 3.0mm Thickness, 250nits, Narrow bezel
    Graphics : Integrated Graphics
    Color : Graphite Grey
    Keyboard : Keyboard Backlit Iron Grey English (UK)
    Camera : 720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
    Palmrest : PC/ABS
    Surface Treatment : Anodizing
    Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader
    Battery : 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 57Wh
    Power Cord : 65W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK
    Wireless : Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above

Th magicbook is working out approx €600 delivered with the watch bundle.

Is there much difference in them ?Im not be too knowledable on them just looking at some pro/cons of both.

that 4300u cpu is very similar to the 3500u in the magicbook

the magicbook has a much superior build quality though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

that 4300u cpu is very similar to the 3500u in the magicbook

the magicbook has a much superior build quality though

I was looking at that and to upgrade to 4500U brings them to basically the same price.

Is build quality a big issue ?

This laptop probably won't be moved from the house more than twice a week.

Could probably try sell the watch that comes with the magicbook as well ,I already have a smartwatch.

you'd get 110 / 120 euro for the watch (if deal is still going)

for me build quality is important - people's ideas vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tdireddi

Well lads, just wondering would this laptop be able to operate well with Football Manager 2020..? Need a new laptop..be mainly used just for light browsing, football manager ect..nothing work related really..?

Tdireddi wrote: »
    Well lads, just wondering would this laptop be able to operate well with Football Manager 2020..? Need a new laptop..be mainly used just for light browsing, football manager ect..nothing work related really..?

if would but to run football mgr with the higher settings you can now get a decent gaming laptop with stronger cpu and a dedicated gpu for not too much more

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1001na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877L4KMD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=hp+gaming+1650&qid=1595842828&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzOU0yTUNXRk9CRkNaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODUzNTMwSFRBSk1TUFFaM1NOJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4NjQwOTIxODJGMjExSk1QN1ZYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

The Huawei Matebook is £499 now on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tdireddi

Just wondering value for money would you go for the gaming laptop or the Huawei/Honor..? What should I look for in a laptop, sorry not very up to date with the laptop specs ...thanks

the H/H laptop is a light portable ultrabook with metal build with 8hr battery life that is a good machine for the average user

the HP is a heavier gaming gaming laptop with plastic build and 4hr battery life that will run games well

both are really good value for money but main differences outlined

choose according to what best matches your uses and preferences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I need a laptop for uses similar to the OP. Is this still the laptop to go for or is there alternatives worth considering. Budget €600.

I need a laptop for uses similar to the OP. Is this still the laptop to go for or is there alternatives worth considering. Budget €600.

still the one

still the one

Thanks

• Advertisement

Damn it, there was 14 of them left on Amazon earlier, now they're down as unavailable

box.co.uk magicbook or honor website

box.co.uk magicbook or honor website

I see the 14 and 15 are the same price on box. Would like the bigger screen but I see it has a smaller battery.

Hi all,
    Magicbook 14 arrived yesterday with the watch.
    I ordered directly from hihomor.co.uk and got delivered via addresspal to local Post Office.
    Laptop is very solid and very portable....performance is fine...but have not really done anything demanding yet. The camera is interesting...pops up on the keyboard...may not suit everyone...but fine for my limited video needs.
    So far the watch is great...but also still figuring it out.

total cost in Euro was 591 + 3.95 for address pal. this was cheaper that originally stated as I was able to get stg15.00 vouchers on the Hihonor website when i registered.

cheers
    mno101

I see the 14 and 15 are the same price on box. Would like the bigger screen but I see it has a smaller battery.

yes. would go 14 personally but up to you

yes. would go 14 personally but up to you

Thinking that way myself after noticing the 15 doesn't have the back lit keyboard.

They're both 529 now on the honor site with the free gift(s), think there's also a £5 off voucher available to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

mno101 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Magicbook 14 arrived yesterday with the watch.
    I ordered directly from hihomor.co.uk and got delivered via addresspal to local Post Office.
    Laptop is very solid and very portable....performance is fine...but have not really done anything demanding yet. The camera is interesting...pops up on the keyboard...may not suit everyone...but fine for my limited video needs.
    So far the watch is great...but also still figuring it out.

total cost in Euro was 591 + 3.95 for address pal. this was cheaper that originally stated as I was able to get stg15.00 vouchers on the Hihonor website when i registered.

cheers
    mno101

Looking to buy one as well

How did you get around the billing address. It will only let me put UK as the country for this? I have put parcel motel in for delivery

Paulzx wrote: »
    Looking to buy one as well

How did you get around the billing address. It will only let me put UK as the country for this? I have put parcel motel in for delivery

i had to use addresspal as the billing address as well as delivery.

I ordered today using Address Pal as my delivery and billing address without issue. Paid with Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Ordered this myself. How long does delivery take with Address Pal roughly? I have it set to pick up at my local post office.

Advertisement