Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cuckolds

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Or someone who thinks the risk of every single person in the country being required at some point to give a DNA sample to a government body outweighs the benefits of the few dozen to couple hundred cases of paternity fraud every year. Quite a bit of naivety and under-rock-living required to think that's reasonable, or to not foresee the dangerous lengths people will obviously go to avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've always thought DNA testing should be mandatory, no human should ever be expected to trust another human based on nothing but blind faith over something so life changingly important. But I'm saying that as someone who's been f*cked over several times by people I would have trusted with my life, so in my current psyche there's just no room for that anymore. If you're someone who thinks that such testing is unreasonable, then you're someone who's never had firsthand experience of the person you trust most in the world sticking a knife in your back, and all I can say is fair play, you've evaded one of life's worst experiences and may you continue to do so.
    Never going to be mandatory, very authoritarian idea that no politician would push. It could become the social norm though. Harmony test and paternity test should be just default actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Or someone who thinks the risk of every single person in the country being required at some point to give a DNA sample to a government body outweighs the benefits of the few dozen to couple hundred cases of paternity fraud every year. Quite a bit of naivety and under-rock-living required to think that's reasonable, or to not foresee the dangerous lengths people will obviously go to avoid it.

That's totally reasonable, and obviously I would argue that such samples would have to be destroyed immediately after the testing. I was thinking more of those who oppose it not on data protection grounds but on "you should just trust your partner not to be lying to you" grounds, which is what most people cite in opposition to default paternity testing. If you've been through the kind of sh!t I and many other people have been through when it comes to those closest to you stabbing you in the back, you will never, ever "just trust" somebody again. No matter how much you love them. And in my view, society shouldn't require you to as a prerequisite for anything.

Advertisement