Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it moral to do up your house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I think what D.T was getting at as well as others on Twitter, is the very very big budget that Dermot Bannon is working with on this series and while fair play to those who have that budget -albeit some begrudgery, I think that many viewers are a bit peeded off looking at this, and would like to see Bannon work with a limited budget and just do a normal extension instead of adding basically another house to it. Its kinda hard to justify spending €15K on a bath in your bedroom and even Bannon had issues with that.

At least with Joe and Mary in Episode 2, Joe in fairness sold off stuff that he no longer needed - recycling at its best.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The acute irony is that people doing up their home actually helps with the economy and indirectly then with homelessness.

About 50% every domestic construction project goes to the government in one form or another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

I think his point is more about RTE's glorification of consumerism and excess through this programme, rather than the people doing up their houses. Nothing wrong with people fixing up their gaffs but why does it need to be televised as entertainment etc. Banging on about "people can spend their money how they want" is beside the point.

I'd assume it's televised to give people ideas for their own homes if they were planning to do something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think his point is more about RTE's glorification of consumerism and excess through this programme, rather than the people doing up their houses. Nothing wrong with people fixing up their gaffs but why does it need to be televised as entertainment etc. Banging on about "people can spend their money how they want" is beside the point.
    Agree. It's similar to all those ridiculous "Moving to the countryside" type programs on UK TV with couples with £1 million plus budgets turning down houses because they don't have room for the stables or an artists studio or some such nonsense. It's pure exhibitionism, there's no way anyone with that kind of money needs to appear on TV in order to find a suitable house.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wonder was he ashamed picking up his 90k per year from RTE when he is nothing more than a talentless hack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Alun wrote: »
    Agree. It's similar to all those ridiculous "Moving to the countryside" type programs on UK TV with couples with £1 million plus budgets turning down houses because they don't have room for the stables or an artists studio or some such nonsense. It's pure exhibitionism, there's no way anyone with that kind of money needs to appear on TV in order to find a suitable house.

Nobody really needs to appear on TV to buy a house,do it up, loose weight, get a make over tough.(Even if your poor).
    Some do it because they want to be on TV, others do it because it will motivate them to get the job done, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Is the issue not really that RTE are promoting boom time type programmes while the reality outside the utopia of Donnybrook is quite different?

All I see outside of Dublin especially as I go further down the country is people having the big house no matter what job they work in. Rubbish man or Doctor, they all have the same big house. It amazes me how it is done. They can't all have the money for it. I reckon the banks own half of them and the people inside can't afford the mortgage but are paying a specific type of rent back. From the outside it looks like the people inside still own the house. There is still a definite trying to keep up with the Joneses attitude down the country that hasn't gone away since the Celtic Tiger era.

All I see outside of Dublin especially as I go further down the country is people having the big house no matter what job they work in. Rubbish man or Doctor, they all have the same big house. It amazes me how it is done. They can't all have the money for it. I reckon the banks own half of them and the people inside can't afford the mortgage but are paying rent back. From the outside it looks like the people inside own the house.

Nah they're all just the rubbish mens houses.

You can't see the doctors houses as they're out of sight up tree lined avenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I agree with Damien Tiernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

All I see outside of Dublin especially as I go further down the country is people having the big house no matter what job they work in. Rubbish man or Doctor, they all have the same big house. It amazes me how it is done. They can't all have the money for it. I reckon the banks own half of them and the people inside can't afford the mortgage but are paying a specific type of rent back. From the outside it looks like the people inside own the house. There is still a definite trying to keep up with the Jones' attitude down the country.

you can have a big house if you are given the land to build it on

• Advertisement

Because a lot of people enjoy watching it and it helps with their own houses for ideas etc. I’m currently having plans drawn up for a fully custom new build and as it’s been on my horizon for a few years I’ve always watched room to improve for ideas on all aspects of the house. Even if a lot of it isn’t what you would do it still gives ideas and there are lots of good suggestions in there etc.

Aside from that I also just enjoy watching it from an entertainment perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

by spending money on your home you are creating employment to the trades doing the work and to all the shops supplying the materials etc. then there is the revenue getting their share.
    so everytime you spend your money locallly you are helping to house clothe and feed other people that work for a living and through tax you are doing the same for those that cant or wont work

what do these types of clowns think we should do . should we spend our money on cars that ae imported or just give the money to those that dont diserve it

He doesn't think or want anything.

He was virtue signalling, that involves no form of follow through

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Bannon is a fool and the people on that show are full of themselves, almost gloating about how much money they have.

That said, they should be allowed be twats if they like. Tiernan sounds bitter.

RTE really lucked out on room to improve though. Years ago it was just a normal show and then twitter and its commentary came along and made it big. Bannon plays up to the cameras bigly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Ifevera wiztherewas

All I see outside of Dublin especially as I go further down the country is people having the big house no matter what job they work in. Rubbish man or Doctor, they all have the same big house. It amazes me how it is done. They can't all have the money for it. I reckon the banks own half of them and the people inside can't afford the mortgage but are paying a specific type of rent back. From the outside it looks like the people inside still own the house. There is still a definite trying to keep up with the Joneses attitude down the country that hasn't gone away since the Celtic Tiger era.

I live in Sligo and that post is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I live in Sligo and that post is nonsense.

In what sense? I have relatives in the midlands and it is all I see.

In what sense? I have relatives in the midlands and it is all I see.

The banks will only lend 3.5 times someone's salary. In Sligo, the same as every other county I'm sure, you'll pay more for the better estates in town and less for less desirable estates. In the countryside you'll pay more for the more sought after areas that are close to town and for areas in the countryside that are less sought after and much further out you'll pay far less. So you could have someone living way out in the sticks in a big fancy house that cost just a fraction compared to the same style house in a more sought after area.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I'm not going to watch football anymore because it's offensive to people with no legs.

I'm not going to watch football anymore because it's offensive to people with no legs.

It's a disgrace Joe!

Nm-E5-OGU5-Zm-E4-YWUx-ZGFm-Nz-Yw-Njky-N2-Jl-NDEy-Zm-E0-ZDAINz-ABt-Ys9-KJOl-Kt9edyl-Ha-HR0c-Dov-L3-Mz-LWV1-LXdlc3-Qt-MS5hb-WF6b25hd3-Mu-Y29t-L21l-ZGlhb-WFzd-GVy-LXMz-ZXUv-Ny80-Lzc0-NGQz-Zm-I4-MDRj-NGY1-YWZh-Zj-U2-NTRk-Zjk4-Nz-Y2-Mm-Yx-Lmpw-Z3x8f-Hx8f-DEw-NDV.jpg

€260,000 in leitrim

MDEz-ZTI2-NDNh-NGQ1-MWZm-ZWYx-Mjk0-MGE4-Mz-Y5-Nj-Q3-OTFtng-G2-Kn-SGmj1c-R625-HBx-Qa-HR0c-Dov-L3-Mz-LWV1-LXdlc3-Qt-MS5hb-WF6b25hd3-Mu-Y29t-L21l-ZGlhb-WFzd-GVy-LXMz-ZXUv-Yi83-L2-I3-ZDVm-Nz-A2-YTdi-ODhl-OGMx-Yz-A3-MWVl-NTFl-ZWM0-MDA4-Lmpw-Z3x8f-Hx8f-Dc5-MHg0-Nz-B8f-Hx8.jpg

€275,000 in dublin, Drimnagh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

College qualifications and subsequent jobs and salaries are usually earned though blood sweat and tears, not given. If people have money to spend, hats off to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Or maybe he's saying, there's something fcuking weird when people are spending 10's, maybe 100's of thousands doing up their homes, and we can't house a few thousand

Are you suggesting that as the government are failing in an area that private citizens should start building houses and giving them away?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I thought the whole argument was how Bannon would blow through the person budget and they are kind of forced to pay as a result. Compare it to Grand Designs where people have to compromise due to their own plans. Bannon just decides and the people have to pay. Saw one where he ordered the wrong windows and insisted they needed to be changed. The quantity surveyor told him they would cost so much more and more again due to needing to be redone, his response was he didn't care.
    The one where people wanted a place for their TV and washing line. He tells them that the place will look like a bookies because of the TV and refused to put it on the wall. The clothes line solution was just to ignore it and laugh about it. You could see the people were unhappy but afraid not say anything on camera.

That is why the show is disgusting. I would fire him for his carry on. Can't see any level of skill or professionalism in what he does. Even if it is for entertainment purposes it makes it worse not better. Unrealistic show on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

You could restrict yourself to watching wheelchair football, but that will be offensive to blind people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    College qualifications and subsequent jobs and salaries are usually earned though blood sweat and tears, not given. If people have money to spend, hats off to them.

This attitude is bizarrely prevalent, seems to be a spillover from the old, 'american dream' propaganda. It doesn't hold up to any sort of scrutiny whatsoever though.

I don't work half as hard as my partner and spent my college years touring with a band and showing up when absolutely necessary. I earn considerably more.

In fact, the only proper blood, sweat and tears job I ever had in my life was the worst paying one I ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I thought the whole argument was how Bannon would blow through the person budget and they are kind of forced to pay as a result. Compare it to Grand Designs where people have to compromise due to their own plans. Bannon just decides and the people have to pay. Saw one where he ordered the wrong windows and insisted they needed to be changed. The quantity surveyor told him they would cost so much more and more again due to needing to be redone, his response was he didn't care.
    The one where people wanted a place for their TV and washing line. He tells them that the place will look like a bookies because of the TV and refused to put it on the wall. The clothes line solution was just to ignore it and laugh about it. You could see the people were unhappy but afraid not say anything on camera.

That is why the show is disgusting. I would fire him for his carry on. Can't see any level of skill or professionalism in what he does. Even if it is for entertainment purposes it makes it worse not better. Unrealistic show on so many levels.

I think he takes the p*ss out of the client a lot of the time and throws in something stupid he saw in an architecture magazine that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Because a lot of people enjoy watching it and it helps with their own houses for ideas etc. I’m currently having plans drawn up for a fully custom new build and as it’s been on my horizon for a few years I’ve always watched room to improve for ideas on all aspects of the house. Even if a lot of it isn’t what you would do it still gives ideas and there are lots of good suggestions in there etc.

Aside from that I also just enjoy watching it from an entertainment perspective.

That sounds reasonable. I don't watch the show personally, it's just irritating to see people wilfully misunderstand the not illegitimate point he's making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Morality wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Ever week there's an issue.
    Daniel and Majella wanted a certain type of floor he didn't.
    They went with ghd floor they wanted.
    A few weeks ago the woman wanted a kitchen she could paint and Dermot didn't.
    The woman picked what she wanted. Dermot said it was fine in the end.
    Theres being endless things like this.
    The person with the TV on the wall should have just went ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I agree with him. Rampant pointless consumerism should be discouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I agree with him. Rampant pointless consumerism should be discouraged.

Maybe a committee of the people can be formed to tel us what is rampant and pointless, and everyone can then act in accordance.

Advertisement