Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should we re-introduce wolves to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I want to like the Greens, I want to vote green. But, they have a tendency to come up with utterly daft proposals too often. This is so far from the reality of what is feasible in Ireland that one would have to question Ryan’s eco credentials. Wolves tend to range up to 30 miles a day, and can range over vast areas in just a number of weeks. We don’t have the wild areas to support this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

aerburdz wrote: »
    Yes we should reintroduce the grey wolf to Ireland.

Preferably the Killarney National Park or the Wicklow Mountains National Park, as they would be adequate and suitable locations for them, especially in packs. Wide open space etc.

Are you fooking kidding.
    Fook me pink you must in the green party with your head so far ensconced ...

well need I finish that sentence.

Do you have any fooking idea how far wolves roam.

As Wibbs pointed out they have wandered out of Yellowstone which is 9000 sq km.
    Just to give you scale that is half the fooking size of Connacht (17,500 sq km).

Wicklow Mountains National Park is around 220 sq km.

Do you have a concept of big or are you akin to Fr Dougal.

You can walk across the Wicklow national park in a few hours.

Then again it might be a good idea as the wolves would eventually move into likes of South County Dublin and before you know it they would be eating up all those green party voters and members.

Might not be bad idea at all at all. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 20 aerburdz

Those locations are neither adequate nor suitable and not nearly wide open enough.

Do you really know those parks? And, do you understand the life style or requirements of the Wolf?

Exactly how is Killarney National Park and the Wicklow Mountains National Park inadequate and unsuitable? They are vast spaces.

Wolves won't attack humans unless they are provoked, they could go towards the deer cull and OPW Rangers would surely supervise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,345 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Why ? What ? Why again ?
    That's all you'd want on a cold dark winter's night is to go out a meet a wolf ??
    Wtf ????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Exactly how is Killarney National Park and the Wicklow Mountains National Park inadequate and unsuitable? They are vast spaces.

Wolves won't attack humans unless they are provoked, they could go towards the deer cull and OPW Rangers would surely supervise them.

The combined area of those 2 parks would barely support a pack - inbreeding would be an issue too as they could not expand. Given that the NPWS can't get a hand on issues like overgrazing, invasive Rhodendrons etc due to underfunding etc, I doubt they have the resources to manage a wolf pack!!

• Advertisement

Yes we should reintroduce the grey wolf to Ireland.

Preferably the Killarney National Park or the Wicklow Mountains National Park, as they would be adequate and suitable locations for them, especially in packs. Wide open space etc.

Jaysus fooking Nora.
    Seriously are some people this thick.

And at this stage I don't care if sanctioned, but the level of stupidity on display not alone by the clown of a politician but people on here is mind boggling.

Wicklow National Park is not some remote wilderness like you find in other countries.

It winds it's way close to villages, is bordered by farmland and really is not that big.
    Within half and hour you are in the outskirts of Dublin.

They can't keep the deer in there never mind a wild predator like a wolf.

And how can a couple of park rangers keep an eye on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dunno what has set some ppl off but yeah, my solution is

Properly maintained and designated national park network stretching from Wicklow all the way to west cork in a vague semi circle type of shape. Corridors allowing the animals traverse the length of the network.

Another network in the north west. Again properly designated. Rewilding is where ireland should go over the next 50 years. The tourism potential is huge. Also the ecological and environmental bonus.

What benefits or bonuses are there to introducing a wild murderous animal to this country? I’m genuinely interested in what you see as plus points to this.

They are not “murderous”. Stop with the anthropomorphism and get real

Speaking myself I’d happily live in the middle of such a national park wilderness once there’s WiFi haha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

laugh-or-cry-meme-edited-696x696.jpg?x91596

Jesus christ... They are not "vast" spaces. They're tiny as far as a wolf pack is concerned. Did you not read earlier, these animals can cover tens of miles per day FFS. I love the Rangers supervising them. :D I know a ranger in northern Spain, where the Iberian wolf lives naturally. He's been in the field nearly 20 years and the number of times he has seen one in the wild? Once. Once.

Properly maintained and designated national park network stretching from Wicklow all the way to west cork in a vague semi circle type of shape. Corridors allowing the animals traverse the length of the network.

Another network in the north west. Again properly designated. The tourism potential is huge. Also the ecological and environmental bonus.
    Wolves can't read maps. They can clear a 3 metre fence with ease, they can dig down a metre under one. They can cover 70 k's per day. There's a reason why we humans and them got together tens of thousands of years ago to take over this planet. These are not some bloody cockapoo FFS. They are an apex predator that works in teams and is a very bright animal.
    They are not “murderous”. Stop with the anthropomorphism and get real

Speaking myself I’d happily live in the middle of such a national park wilderness once there’s WiFi haha
    Get real he says? Haha indeed. Maybe use the Wifi to read up on subjects you clearly know sweet fcuk all about.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Another network in the north west. Again properly designated. Rewilding is where ireland should go over the next 50 years. The tourism potential is huge. Also the ecological and environmental bonus.

Can I get the 100 plus million euro contract for the fencing and you are on. :D

I don't know what it is, but it is like batsh** crazy central in here this afternoon. :rolleyes:

I always wondered where the greens get votes.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    laugh-or-cry-meme-edited-696x696.jpg?x91596

Jesus christ... They are not "vast" spaces. They're tiny as far as a wolf pack is concerned. Did you not read earlier, these animals can cover tens of miles per day FFS. I love the Rangers supervising them. :D I know a ranger in northern Spain, where the Iberian wolf lives naturally. He's been in the field nearly 20 years and the number of times he has seen one in the wild? Once. Once.

Wolves can't read maps. They can clear a 3 metre fence with ease, they can dig down a metre under one. They can cover 70 k's per day. There's a reason why we humans and them got together tens of thousands of years ago to take over this planet. These are not some bloody cockapoo FFS. They are an apex predator that works in teams and is a very bright animal.

Get real he says? Haha indeed. Maybe use the Wifi to read up on subjects you clearly know sweet fcuk all about.

Sorry now

Have a read where I say properly maintained

I mean 10-12 foot high fencing surrounding the national wilderness zone.

And I actually know heaps about wolves and other wildlife as it happens. I’m an ardent environmentalist/ecologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Look, I'm sure if the wolves were given a tour, and the rangers reprimanded them when they stepped outside these corridors, they would ignore their instincts and obediently stay put.

Sorry now

I mean 8 foot high fencing surrounding the national wilderness zone.

And I actually know heaps about wolves and other wildlife as it happens. I’m an ardent environmentalist/ecologist.

Well you know fook all about Ireland and I would say economics.

How the feck are you going to create this wildlife/wilderness corridor.

We don't have a communist party and a communist big brother state that will put up a Iron Curtain style corridor that will be left go wild for the wildlife to traverse through.
    Yes look that up as example of how wildlife moved through parts of Eastern Europe.

I have to say the more the ardent environmentalists talk the more the rest of us scratch our heads in disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

With the demise of dancing at the crossroads, we should replace it with wolves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are not in the least bit 'vast areas'. Wolves will cover 50 miles in a day. The terrain is not suited to wolves, there is far too much human settlement and farming in the immediate vicinity. The parks are islands surrounded by settlement with insufficient space for packs to function. I never mentioned attacks on humans but there is too much livestock in those areas. The deer would be reduced to unsustainable numbers in a few years with even a moderate pack of wolves. NPWS (not OPW) rangers could not 'supervise' a pack of wolves in a small area with human settlement, livestock, and insufficient prey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Large birds of prey are killed here, the reintroduction of wolves would just bring out all the Yosemite Sam yokels.

exactly, i know of a guy who kills pine martens for some reason and all the locals think hes a hero as they think the pine marten would attack humans if it got the chance. :mad:

jmayo wrote: »
    Well you know fook all about Ireland and I would say economics.

How the feck are you going to create this wildlife/wilderness corridor.

We don't have a communist party and a communist big brother state that will put up a Iron Curtain style corridor that will be left go wild for the wildlife to traverse through.
    Yes look that up as example of how wildlife moved through parts of Eastern Europe.

I have to say the more the ardent environmentalists talk the more the rest of us scratch our heads in disbelief.

It would be a huge tourism attraction. Eco tourism is growing exponentially.

Also it would allow us to meet our climate emergency commitments along with rewilding Ireland in a controlled manner.

Also some other spin offs would be to use the national wilderness for major film locations thus a feedback loop created for future visitors and of course ppl will want to live in such fantastic surroundings and not in built up cities. Comms tech is progressing so much remember

[...
    Wolves can't read maps. They can clear a 3 metre fence with ease, they can dig down a metre under one. They can cover 70 k's per day. There's a reason why we humans and them got together tens of thousands of years ago to take over this planet. These are not some bloody cockapoo FFS. They are an apex predator that works in teams and is a very bright animal...

Sorry now

Ehh you do know that 3 metres is greater than 8 foot ?

I think 3 metres is about 9.4 feet.

Ah but shure it will be grand. :D

Anyway carry on enlightening us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pgj2015 wrote: »
    exactly, i know of a guy who kills pine martens for some reason and all the locals think hes a hero as they think the pine marten would attack humans if it got the chance. :mad:

Highly illegal - report him to the NPWS or Gardai

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh you do know that 3 metres is greater than 8 foot ?

I think 3 metres is about 9.4 feet.

Ah but shure it will be grand. :D

Anyway carry on enlightening us.

They can’t clear 3 meters.

But if somehow some freak mutant wolf can, then just make the fencing higher. No biggie. Look at the bigger picture in this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

pgj2015 wrote: »

If you really know such a person then do us all a favour and report them.

The pine marten is protected in Ireland by both national and international legislation. Under the Irish Wildlife Acts it is an offence, except under licence, to capture or kill a pine marten, or to destroy it's resting places.

maybe, but there should be a focus on improving the quality of the cougars in Ireland first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Shouldn’t need to be said but he’s a Dublin centric, cyclist eco warrior. Why wouldn’t he want to introduce wolves to Ireland when he won’t have to encounter them in his leafy D4 neighborhood?
    Though... Hmmmm.... Hang on HS, that's the beauty of wolves, if leafy D4 had enough fancy leftovers in bins the oul wolves wouldn't be long in making their way there. Eat his cat and labradoodle while they were at it. Think urban foxes only much bigger. :D

Wolf in Blackrock. Earlier, Checking out the bins at the "authentic Organic free range chipper". :D

urban_wolf__by_mark45cmd.jpg

Beautiful animals, and very misunderstood. Even the sea eagles didn't get a chance after being re-introduced, the Norwegians must have been disgusted!

We haven't enough wilderness to sustain them, they'd end up getting shot unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Yes currently has 46% of the vote.
    Always good to know how many idiots peruse a subject.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry now

CRY.jpg

Oh wait.... you're being serious? If you think you know "heaps" about wolves and yet in the same breath suggest areas like that are suitable for wild wolves then may I in turn suggest you haven't a bulls notion about the matter. And where do the roads go through this cordoned off area? 8 foot high is not enough. And they dig like machines.

KurtKorschal.jpg
    OK Seamus I gotcha, me and the wife and kids are to stay inside the park yeah? That'd be great Frank. See you next week.

I feckin weep for the future of our wild spaces if this is what an "ardent environmentalist/ecologist" thinks is a sensible idea. I repeat you are massively uninformed on this matter and worse you're happy to display such and you're not for turning. Crazy.

I see it was Eamon Ryan? Well there's a shock. A man who appears pleasant enough but whose brain's sole purpose appears to be as stuffing to keep the wind from whistling through his skull. Then again I'm beginning to see his voter base.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

The quality of cougars has really deteriorated alright. Tamangos used to be teeming with them.

CRY.jpg

Oh wait.... you're being serious? If you think you know "heaps" about wolves and yet in the same breath suggest areas like that are suitable for wild wolves then may I in turn suggest you haven't a bulls notion about the matter. And where do the roads go through this cordoned off area? 8 foot high is not enough.

KurtKorschal.jpg
    OK Seamus I gotcha, me and the wife and kids are to stay inside the park yeah? That'd be great Frank. See you next week.

I feckin weep for the future of our wild spaces if this is what an "ardent environmentalist/ecologist" thinks is a sensible idea. I repeat you are massively uninformed on this matter and worse you're happy to display such and you're not for turning. Crazy.

I see it was Eamon Ryan? Well there's a shock. A man who appears pleasant enough but whose brain's sole purpose appears to be as stuffing to keep the wind from whistling through his skull. Then again I'm beginning to see his voter base.

I said increase the fencing as high as required. No biggie. U Havnt addressed the obvious benefits of rewillding Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sheep farmers are going to love this one.
    They won't last pissing time because they'll get the heads blown off them with shotguns.

Let's see, housing crisis, HSE crisis, pensions timebomb, public transport issues, Brexit, Gardai and Defence Forces crises and the Greens think "hey you know what Ireland needs most? Fücking wolves".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No because one off housing

• Advertisement

Sheep farmers are going to love this one.

Let's see, housing crisis, HSE crisis, pensions timebomb, public transport issues, Brexit and the Greens think "hey you know what Ireland needs most? Fücking wolves".

Sheep/cattle farmers will be a dying breed over the coming decades. Sad but true. Climate emergency takes precedence. Rewilding is the way to go

It’s going to take a while but ppl need to realise that the co2 levels are completely off the fckin reservation. HUGE changes are coming.

Advertisement