Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

If you're down Monasterevin direction there's also an aquaduct, bringing the Barrow line over the Barrow. Higher bridge, and possibly a little longer. Continues all the way to St. Mullins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I noticed a Garda motorcycle doing the rounds along the canal between ninth lock and Kylemore about 11:30 this Sunday morning. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I noticed a Garda motorcycle doing the rounds along the canal between ninth lock and Kylemore about 11:30 this Sunday morning. Long may it continue.

Good. Few scramblers playing chicken last week, and some lads had set fire to one of the locks also. Class acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Long may it continue.

I know having police presence is better than nothing and a quick fix in the short term. But in the long term a better outcome would be for the area to be safe without requiring constant police presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bob24 wrote: »
    I know having police presence is better than nothing and a quick fix in the short term. But in the long term a better outcome would be for the area to be safe without requiring constant police presence.

Agreed... a large scale cull could achieve it

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

mloc123 wrote: »

Utter scumbags. I used to cycle the Grand pretty regularly but wouldn't go near it at this point as a solo cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I haven't gone near it after dark, I used to walk the stretch between Kylemore and Bluebell the odd evening as a quick route home but stopped after the group of lads tried to take my phone as mentioned earlier in the thread, although I was only at the gate there, going on at Kylemore Bridge.

That stretch mentioned above is covered by CCTV as far as I'm aware though

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

That stretch mentioned above is covered by CCTV as far as I'm aware though

It is, but in my experience it means nothing. I rang the CCTV operator after I was knocked off my bicycle by a kid with a plank of wood. He said the camera I was right next to didn't capture the incident but he was now capturing the group closing in on me, throwing stones at me, etc. I got out of the situation and phoned the local guards. They more or less said there was nothing they could do because I had said the group were a bunch of kids. In a round-about way - maybe avoid the area - I gave up going by that lock in the evenings ever since that 3rd incident I had at that lock.

That was 4 years ago. Nothing changes. As soon as the kids have holidays, you read about these awful incidents in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

everyday is purge night there , after 6.30 i wouldnt use the canal

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Anyone listen to liveline today about the trouble along the ninth lock to bluebell?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Same story as posted above basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Anyone listen to liveline today about the trouble along the ninth lock to bluebell?
    I randomly caught a bit of that on the radio this afternoon then (half-)listened online (segment linked on this page https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/#103099093 ). People phoning in other incidents also. Utter scumbags indeed - they're "why we can't have nice things", one way or another...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've cycled that section regularly over the past 2 years commuting, I've had a couple of close calls with the natives too. I just greet them with a smile and a howya lads if needed and that usually works but once schools are out and we get good weather like last week all bets are off and any later than 6.30-7pm I stick to the roads.

tnegun wrote: »
    I've cycled that section regularly over the past 2 years commuting, I've had a couple of close calls with the natives too. I just greet them with a smile and a howya lads if needed and that usually works but once schools are out and we get good weather like last week all bets are off and any later than 6.30-7pm I stick to the roads.

Same here. I’d rather take my chances with the Naas rd traffic rather than getting a kicking or bike robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I rode it last bank holiday Monday (as far as Sallins actually, which is challenging enough with the rough off road sections, but I digress!).

I had no issues to be honest, I suppose it was too early for the anti-social element to be out. It's such a shame that people are now scared to use it, as it's a great amenity, and now that they've remodelled many of the gates so you can cycle through them it's even better. Really (as I've said before) it's not good enough for the Gardai not to tackle this issue and to fob people off.

Ive called the guards several times re the kids on scrambler bikes and they'll openly tell you there is nothing they can do but send a car up at some stage to have a look but can't engage them. no point in even trying to explain a car can't get close they drive don't care. I just keep m head down and go for it but there's no denying it's risky

Dublin has a few dozen RPU bikes that I know of. They're under Dublin Castle not a local station though local supers can direct them if needed. All it would really take is for WI to give them all keys and have them run up and down both canals intermittently and frequently during school holidays. The cameras operated by the councils can feed them info too if a chain of communication were setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

tnegun wrote: »
    Ive called the guards several times re the kids on scrambler bikes and they'll openly tell you there is nothing they can do but send a car up at some stage to have a look but can't engage them. no point in even trying to explain a car can't get close they drive don't care. I just keep m head down and go for it but there's no denying it's risky

See, this is what I don't understand. It's illegal to drive scrambler bikes on the canal path. The kids riding them are probably not old enough to be allowed to drive them and (I'm guessing here) they probably do not have licences. So why is there nothing the Guards can do? They are, as far as I'm aware, entitled to stop them, ask for licences and if they do not have them, to seize the bikes.

Similarly, if gangs of youths are assaulting people regularly at the same points, why can the Guards not mount patrols on bikes or motorbikes there? Really it's not good enough.

Just on the CCTV I reported dumping while it was taking place to the council and highlighted it was taking place right in front of a camera if they wanted to catch the offenders their response was bring my information to the litter warden :mad:

With the scramblers the guard(s) said they're under instruction not to pursue or engage them so can only drive past. I've given up to be honest and don't report either any more as it just makes me more vulnerable stopping to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

LennoxR wrote: »
    See, this is what I don't understand. It's illegal to drive scrambler bikes on the canal path. The kids riding them are probably not old enough to be allowed to drive them and (I'm guessing here) they probably do not have licences. So why is there nothing the Guards can do? They are, as far as I'm aware, entitled to stop them, ask for licences and if they do not have them, to seize the bikes.

Similarly, if gangs of youths are assaulting people regularly at the same points, why can the Guards not mount patrols on bikes or motorbikes there? Really it's not good enough.

I'd guess that what the Garda meant was that if they go up there, the boys will scatter, chances of catching them is slim, and they'll probably just treat it like getting a chase

They don't chase them at all. The UK cops used to do the same but have changed their tune.

A 16 yo with no helmet has a high chance of killing himself in a pursuit. This is treated as too much of a liability to engage in it at all.

There was an article in the local paper about scramblers. It opened with this line:
    Laws giving the gardai power to seize quads and scramblers being ridden dangerously and terrorising communities are being considered.

We don't already have a law or two to do this already?

It went on to quote Deputy Lahart:
    Existing road traffic legislation does not apply to green spaces, housing estates or public parks, which are the very places where these vehicles are most commonly used and causing hassle.

So maybe you can do what you like with a vehicle on the greenways, at least until they come up with a bill, etc. which the article finishes by saying the first stage of this bill went unopposed by the government.

To me, just feels like nobody in authority is willing to get tough on this. Increasing the maximum fine to €5,000, as they are proposing, means nothing to these kids or parents.

Full article is here: https://dublingazette.com/news/scrambler-quad-32452/

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I've recently purchased a Babboe City Cargo Bike and would like to take the kids out for a spin on the weekend starting from Ballsbridge side of Ranelagh. How far will we get before we hit the undead? Is there a better option for a quiet off road/segregated ride? We'll probably head off early (~8am) if it means a quiet life.

I've recently purchased a Babboe City Cargo Bike and would like to take the kids out for a spin on the weekend starting from Ballsbridge side of Ranelagh. How far will we get before we hit the undead? Is there a better option for a quiet off road/segregated ride? We'll probably head off early (~8am) if it means a quiet life.

The gates will be a bigger issue than the scumbags, I am not sure you will get through at Inchicore on a cargo bike

That's probably fine, the young fellas are not going to last more than half hour each way I think.

That's probably fine, the young fellas are not going to last more than half hour each way I think.

In that case you will be fine. The bad spots are... around Bluebell, around Park West and between Clondalkin and Grange Castle

The 4th and 5th car to be left at this spot near the 11th lock in under two weeks.

Usually confined to the fields on the other side of the canal - away from houses and people. Worrying to see them so active on this side.

It's so sad looking at the quality of that surface, an amenity the rest of the country would be envious of. Ruined by scrotes. I'm not in any rush out to experience that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 elric

This was posted in the Dublin Fire Brigade thread in Motors:

Edit: it looks like it's the second car in coward's video.
    joujoujou wrote: »

Advertisement