Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

But does the symbol really needs to be worth a certain value in money?

Sure if one's willing to buy an expensive ring as a gesture of love and commitment, sort of like saying "everything I do, I do it for you", "you are worth far more than any rock or stone on this planet" sorta cheesy crap, then its fine.

But if its like "OMG, I can't like accept a ring which is less than a couple of bazillion qutons because I'm so worth it!!!" then its a little sad...

^^^ exactly. The symbol doesn't need to be worth anything financially. However, if I can afford it I would get my OH the most ideal thing he ever wants for our engagement. If he can manage to get the ring I want, he will.

If he bought the ring, I would get pay for the flights to our honeymoon. We are on similar levels of income and we spend a lot of our surplus income on each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I can materialistic myself not denying that but its the done deal these days. If that is the case ye don't know women at all when it comes to rings or am I just hanging out with the cliquéd ones?
    You are hanging around with the cast of Fade Street.
    A ring shows commitment and love
    No it doesn't. It shows a ring. Behaviour shows commitment and love.
    the price of the ring shouldn't matter if you are commited to that person for life and love each other.
    Why not? Should the price of the honeymoon matter? The price of the wedding? The price of a new tennis racquet? Does this rule only apply to the engagment ring?
    Love doesn't have a price tag.
    A cliché, but true. So why do you want an expensive ring?
    A ring is probably the most expensive thing you ever buy her though
    Children are expensive. Houses are expensive. Cars are expensive. Nursing homes are expensive. A ring will not be the most expensive thing unless you are looking at the million euro bracket.
    and it is worth it to take quality into consideration.
    Quality presumably means what the jeweller charges you? What do you know about the craftsmanship involved? I know nothing. More expensive does not mean better quality.
    Something simple ya and not too extravagant but a small stone or diamond wouldn't matter or whether its carates is big or small. Its the carates, stone/diamond(s) will determine the price of the ring!!
    Yes, that and where you buy it. The jeweller's markup is about 100% (i.e. he will charge you twice what he bought it for)
    Its just a cheap ring with saphire with it might look cheap but then again you can just tell by the diamonds whether its cheap looking/common looking or not.
    Firstly, it will look cheap if it looks cheap. I've seen watches that cost hundreds of thousands that look cheap because they are smeared with diamonds (link).
    Secondly - even if it doesn't look like an expensive ring, how shallow are you? How shallow are your friends and family? Will they think less of you if they think your ring cost less than €5000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

xoxyx wrote: »
    A ring that you are going to wear every day which carries such amazing memories is a good investment.

So a key-chain USB stick with the wedding photos stored would do the job?

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

How about this, you set a budget.
    She picks the ring based on this and if she goes over budget has to pay the difference herself.
    I think this is the fairest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

This thread is depressing on so many levels. Though I guess some of the posters in this thread will eventually grow up and face reality.

BTW, is it the done thing in Ireland for the woman to return the engagement ring if the relationship breaks up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Gyalist wrote: »
    This thread is depressing on so many levels. Though I guess some of the posters in this thread will eventually grow up and face reality.

BTW, is it the done thing in Ireland for the woman to return the engagement ring if the relationship breaks up?

I wear the rings my ex-husbands bought me on a string around my neck.

Gyalist wrote: »
    The Celtic Tiger sense of entitlement is still alive and well. Remember that anyone under 30 remembers nothing but good times up until around 1999 and crazy bubble times from 99 to 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I wear the rings my ex-husbands bought me on a string around my neck.

Instead of their ears?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Instead of their ears?:eek:

No, but I keep their penises in my bedroom drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Such messing.

The engagement ring is a big gesture. Look at what it symbolises. Different strokes for different folks, but is it so terrible for a person to go overboard in buying the physical symbol that represents the day they asked their partner to spend the rest of their life with them? A little romance please??

(I'm going to get blasted, but I stand by what I say!)

Financially even if really they can't afford it or the money could be put to better use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Oh I'd expect nothing less that 15k - 20k, cos y'know, I'm worth it, like....

Truthfully, I'd probably be so thrilled someone wanted to be legally bound to me for life, the cost of the ring wouldn't come in to it. I'm sure I could see plenty of 10K rings that would be lovely, I'm also sure I'd see plenty of 1-2K rings that would be just as lovely...who gives a fook? That said, I certainly wouldn't telling anyone the cost of it regardless (why do people feel the need to do this?). It'd be between me, him and our bank account!!

As long as it looks pretty, I'd be happy out!

No, but I keep their penises in my bedroom drawer.

Well...erm...good?:pac:

("Bedroom drawer" isn't a euphenism, no?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I read some article on Cracked that pretty much laid out how an aggressive "Diamonds Are Forever" De Beers marketing campaign pretty much invented the diamond engagement ring at the start of the century. They don't feature in any historical references before then.
    But i'm lazy and have no intention of finding the article...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

c_man wrote: »
    So a key-chain USB stick with the wedding photos stored would do the job?

Nice one.

If your lady is happy to wear a USB stick on a chain then it is none of my business to interfere..
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Financially even if really they can't afford it or the money could be put to better use?

No - only if you can afford it. Up to you really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not sure really.

Later on, it's always handy to point accusingly at an ostentatiously expensive ring during the lean blow-job years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Buy a ring for €10, create a fake invoice on your PC with an unpronounceable name of a French designer and a price of €10,000. Print off the invoice and let her accidentally find it.
    If she complains that the ring looks too cheap, just tell her that that's the new trend this designer is setting, that every Girl who is in anyway important in Europe is wearing one and that she is one of the very few girls in Ireland who already has one of them in Ireland.

I would forge the ring myself and buy a diamond to stick on it. Do I get extra points for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The rule of thumb is suck my balls.
    These are girls who are getting engaged to their boyfriends but picking out the ring first. With their boyfriends. The guys know this already! :D

It's never too late. :eek:
    Such messing.

The engagement ring is a big gesture. Look at what it symbolises. Different strokes for different folks, but is it so terrible for a person to go overboard in buying the physical symbol that represents the day they asked their partner to spend the rest of their life with them? A little romance please??

(I'm going to get blasted, but I stand by what I say!)

It is vagina measuring, that is all.
    Who has the biggest vagina.

mdebets wrote: »
    Buy a ring for €10, create a fake invoice on your PC with an unpronounceable name of a French designer and a price of €10,000. Print off the invoice and let her accidentally find it.
    If she complains that the ring looks too cheap, just tell her that that's the new trend this designer is setting, that every Girl who is in anyway important in Europe is wearing one and that she is one of the very few girls in Ireland who already has one of them in Ireland.

Or just give her a pat on the back and a slap with your vaseline hand

The-Rigger wrote: »

Sausage down O Connell Street is an insult though?:pac:

• Advertisement

It's clearly bragging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

You might want to re-think that.

Big does not always mean better...think...rope...O'Connell Street!
    Curiously, the same applies to jewellry. A good but small diamond will often be far more valuable than several larger but imperfect larger diamonds.... What you're usually paying for in an engagement ring is the stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

A ring shows commitment and love the price of the ring shouldn't matter if you are commited to that person for life and love each other.

But you're the one who wants an expensive ring, no? So obviously price does mean something to you, since you're arguing towards flashing the cash.

I don't think a ring does show love. I think that's such a load of rubbish. It's a ring, it's a nice gesture, but anyone can save money and go buy one. Love is way more than that.
    Love doesn't have a price tag. A ring is probably the most expensive thing you ever buy her though and it is worth it to take quality into consideration. Something simple ya and not too extravagant but a small stone or diamond wouldn't matter or whether its carates is big or small. Its the carates, stone/diamond(s) will determine the price of the ring!! Its just a cheap ring with saphire with it might look cheap but then again you can just tell by the diamonds whether its cheap looking/common looking or not.

Love doesn't have a price tag because it isn't about money! I would never want to be bought a ring that would be the most expensive thing my boyfriend/future husband would ever buy. I don't care about quality, diamonds, whether other people might think it looks 'common'... There are much more important things in life. What I would be concerned about is the quality of the relationship, not carats.
    A ring that you are going to wear every day which carries such amazing memories is a good investment.

A more expensive ring isn't gonna 'carry' memories better than a cheaper one. A person with a less expensive ring isn't gonna have less wonderful memories.

The argument reminds me of this poignant comparison between roses and a potato:

http://www.bash.org/?151227

exaisle wrote: »
    You might want to re-think that.

Big does not always mean better...think...rope...O'Connell Street!
    Curiously, the same applies to jewellry. A good but small diamond will often be far more valuable than several larger but imperfect larger diamonds.... What you're usually paying for in an engagement ring is the stone.

That just sounds like bitterness talk from someone with a small vagina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

its the done deal these days.
    Sigh...

Jeez, all the talk of gold-digging women used to annoy me as it is not applicable to the females I know, but wow... this thread is one hell of a grim eye-opener...

Lol at the "the more expensive the ring, the higher a level of commitment" sentiments too.

The argument reminds me of this poignant comparison between roses and a potato:

http://www.bash.org/?151227
    Lucky bag ring and a bouquet of potatoes it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That just sounds like bitterness talk from someone with a small vagina.

I would like to subscribe to your vagina sized bragging newsletter.

i think your on to something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I really can't help regarding guys or girls who think a very shiny expensive ring is important as monkeys.

The intelligent argument for a ring of any sort is that it's symbolic of commitment, love and partnership. These things I like.

The monkey reasoning is that it's pretty and shiny and demonstrates that he's a good provider. That's without even considering the blood drenched history the stone probably has.

• Advertisement

Advertisement