Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Adr.

Currently reading 2666 by Roberto Bolano. Just 100 pages into its almost 900 page length. So far so good, but there's quite a way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Currently reading Nocturnes by John Connolly. It's enjoyable.

Next I shall read either The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky or Wicked by Gregory Maquire

• Registered Users Posts: 14 qwerty23

just completed "A Long Long Way" by Sebastian Barry. Id go for 8.5/10!

Next is either 1984 by Orwell or Sniper One by Dan Mills

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Currently reading Wild Swans by Jung Chang. It's mostly interesting, but a little boring and slow moving in parts. Another 500 or so pages to get through. Hope it doesn't become a chore, as happens with a lot of books I read!

Next I'll read The Poet by Michael Connolly, heard it's very good. Got it for 1 euro in Age Action shop on Camden St, happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Currently reading "The little stranger" by Sarah Waters.

I really like her style of writing in this, and I like the sense of mystery so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Last book I just finished was World War Z, a real unexpected pleasure! :DCurrently flying through Ken Follett's Pillars Of The Earth. After that I'm unsure, although I did pick up Roberto Bolano's 2666, so probably that next.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Just finished the Alchemist. LOVED it. :D Left me feeling really positive about life :)

Next...Interview With the Vampire.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Mainly re-reading the Darren Shan Demonata series. I think he's a great writer, yet to not like one of his books. Waiting on a few books to come out too, one from Shan, and another from Garth Nix, in the Keys to the Kingdom series, Lord Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I've just finished reading When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro. Very well written but at times very frustrating. The narrator was unreliable so I found myself questioning a lot of what went on. Interesting read though.

Currently reading "The little stranger" by Sarah Waters.

I really like her style of writing in this, and I like the sense of mystery so far.

Well I flew through this, it was great! I'd definitely recommend it.

I've just started "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson, hope it lives up to the hype...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I've just started "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson, hope it lives up to the hype...

I keep hear that book being mentioned. I might read that soon. At the moment Im reading the Sillmarilion, a second attempt but Im really enjoying it!
    Next its either the Loop by Nicholas Evans or Dracula by Bram Stoker, i also have PS I Love You, but just because I want to see how soppy it really is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

The Subtle Knife - Philip Pullman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Just started reading 'Monster: The Autobiography of a LA Gang Member'. Barely into it, its ok, cant say its amazing, kind of lacks detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

Was in the bookshop the other day and the Stephen King books were all 'buy one, get one free' this month (probably cause of Halloween). I brought a few of them. I'm reading 'Salem's Lot at the moment. It was a bit slow at the start but it's getting better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Currently reading The Ginger Man. This is the first time I've read Donleavy and I'm fascinated.
    Is this typical of his style?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

k

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

New to this forum. Just finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruis Zafón and thought it was excellent. Best book I've read in a long time. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Readin the Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson.Not sure Its my cup of tea but I hate quitting a book, If I start I hvae to finish no matter what :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

currently reading Hard Landing by Thomas Petzinger, a history of the American airline industry, reads like a thriller though!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Just finished 'The Grapes of Wrath', it was brilliant. No East of Eden though. Just started Nick Caves 'The Death of Bunny Munroe' and its great so far....(20 pages)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 AlaskaFox

On a huge Philip Roth kick at the moment. Went from The Plot Against America to Everyman, and now onto American Pastoral. It's heavier than the other two so far, but I'm enjoying it. Loved the Plot Against America.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

I'm currently more than half-way through Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett. I'm a huge fan and this book is so far keeping up with his rich tradition of truly excellent story-telling.

Well I flew through this, it was great! I'd definitely recommend it.

Well i finished "The Girl...", and it was great! Excellent thriller, kept me on the edge of my seat.

Now I'm reading Pyramids by Terry Pratchett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 highhat

Reading the picture of dorian gray, and then will watch the film, if it's still on in cinemas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭SecondTime

Recently finished Brooklyn by Colm Tobin - Well it's nowhere near as good as The Master!

In the middle of House of Mirth by Edith Wharton - loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

long walk to freedom by nelson mandela.inspirational

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

AlaskaFox wrote: »
    On a huge Philip Roth kick at the moment. Went from The Plot Against America to Everyman, and now onto American Pastoral. It's heavier than the other two so far, but I'm enjoying it. Loved the Plot Against America.

Read most of his books a few years ago - I'll never forget:

Lyndon B-b-b-b-baines Johnson - b-b-b-b-baby Killer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KateC92

Just finished Untamed, a House of Night novel- I'm making my way through the series, they are good.

Also reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - very touching but not as good as his A Thousand Splendid Suns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Reading The Butcher Boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Just finished 'Pillars of the Earth'. It was rubbish. Reading Ulysses now. So far so good. After that, 2666 by Roberto Bolano.

Advertisement