Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

'Farewell My Lovely' by Raymond Chandler.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

Reading Dissolution by CJ Sansom, excellent. Historical fiction set in the time of Henry the 8th. Main cahracter is a lawyer called Shardlarke. About half way through and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

'Farewell My Lovely' by Raymond Chandler.

just started that today myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Nearly 1/2 way through Mystic River by Denis Lehane. Total page turner, absolutely brilliant writing, very well paced, characters are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I must try that one as I loved the movie. I also recently read Shutter Island & Any Given Day (by Dennis Lehane also), both excellent. I saw the film trailers for Shutter Island which made me go read the book.

I am reading "The Pregnant Widow" by Martin Amis this week. Just read 140 pages. I only read one other book by Martin Amis, "London Fields", so I'm not an expert on him yet.

Though I do love reading new authors that I haven't read before.

• Advertisement

Mink wrote: »
    Ok I ended up getting Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor. Anyone have feedback on that before I get stuck in tonight?
    You're right, you should read "Star of the Sea" first. Very intersting period of history, set during the Famine. It documents the stories of Irish people emigrating to America on the boat named "Star of the Sea". Then "Redemption Falls" picks up the story when the family arrived in america. One of the daughters travels across america to search for her young brother, during the Civil War.

I read both books a while ago so I'm a bit hazy on the details. I found Redemption Falls a tougher read, maybe it was the language used. To be fair, it was period language. However I did like both books, and now have another one of Joe O'Connor's earlier books to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I must try that one as I loved the movie. I also recently read Shutter Island & Any Given Day (by Dennis Lehane also), both excellent. I saw the film trailers for Shutter Island which made me go read the book.

I am reading "The Pregnant Widow" by Martin Amis this week. Just read 140 pages. I only read one other book by Martin Amis, "London Fields", so I'm not an expert on him yet.

Though I do love reading new authors that I haven't read before.

I've only read one of Martin Amis' books - Time's Arrow. Well worth a read if you get the chance.

Currently reading the ever pragmatic and moral-free The Prince by N. Machiavelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Currently reading the ever pragmatic and moral-free The Prince by N. Machiavelli.

Fantastic book, the acquisition, and retention of political power has never been laid so bare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Sergeant wrote: »
    Fantastic book, the acquisition, and retention of political power has never been laid so bare.

Agree completely. His language is purposefully accessible aswell, which makes it all the more startling to read such cold facts laid bare.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Still reading breaking dawn nearly finished it though,best book of the series.

• Advertisement

I just started "The Lay of the Land" by Richard Ford. I have a couple of other books of short stories by him, so looking forward to catching up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Currently reading two books

Homicide :A year on the killing streets by David Simon

Enjoying this book big time.... ...............so far.

Warriors by RR Martin,Robin Hobb,Steven Saylor.....etc,etc,etc.

Collection of short stories ...........liked some more than others

Currently reading two books

Homicide :A year on the killing streets by David Simon

Enjoying this book big time.... ...............so far.

Oh...I recently bought that book by David Simon - another one to add to my pile of unread books! I'd be afraid to count them all.

I must try to get to it soon, I loved "The Wire".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 live.life

Work's been really busy lately so I've only been in the mood/had the time to read light reads at the moment. I'm currently reading The Choice by Nicholas Sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Beore I stopped to concentrate on my exams (haha, yeah right), I was reading The Holy City by Patrick McCabe. To be honest, I'm really iffy about it so far. I liked the Butcher Boy and Breakfast on Pluto...but...with this I just cant seem to get into it.

After it, I have MANY books to read. Yay for summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cathy_C

Finished reading a proof i found last night, called Another Alice by Lia Mills.
    went to the library today and got the Irvine Welsh omnibus 'cause nothing else really jumped out at me... And I loved the movie Trainspotting!

Another one I forgot about:

The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Everything-Rona-Jaffe/dp/0143035290/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273098783&sr=1-1

I don't like chick lit but I enjoyed this book - not chick lit at all! It's about a group of young women who come to work in a publishing house (a bit like Mad Men) in New York in the 50's. The story is really true to life, not much Hollywood glamour. It's a bit like Sex & the City but much more realistic story.

I passed it on to other people & they enjoyed it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I'm going to start Kafka on the Shore (hopefully) in about a week and a half... Damn exams eating up my spare time! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

re reading a game of thrones from the song of ice and fire series

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tazkatie

Reading the second book in the Shardlarke series. It is called Dark Fire. It is set in the Tudor times and is about a lawyer called Matthew Shardlarke who is requested by Cromwell to seek out the mystery of the Greek Fire. It as a very enteraining read and a great example of historical fiction at its best. I have read the first book in the series (Dissolution) and am nearly finished the second Dark Fire, I have the next two books in the series ready to rock. I really like this author.. And would highly recommend it him to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Currently reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. On book 2 The Well of Ascension at the moment and enjoying the series

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Currently reading The Green Mile, by Stephen King. I can hardly put it down, I love the character development.

While King does have a tendancy to waffle or fluff up his prose a little bit sometimes, I found this struck a good balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Just finished 'Any Old Iron', now re-reading 'Little Wilson, Big God'. Splendid.

Yes I have read Clockwork Orange, seen the movie etc... good movie but not his finest literary work IMO.

-FoxT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

Just finished The Gates by John Connolly. Picked it up by mistake not realising that it's a kids book but was really entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Currently reading James Frey's "My friend Leonard"
    Picks up a bit after a fairly depressing opening (which admittedly I already knew was coming after reading the epilogue of the last book)

Not as gripping as a million little pieces, but still well worth a read...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

FoxT wrote: »
    Just finished 'Any Old Iron', now re-reading 'Little Wilson, Big God'. Splendid.

Yes I have read Clockwork Orange, seen the movie etc... good movie but not his finest literary work IMO.

-FoxT

Have you read Earthly Powers? I'm planning to read the Enderby novels some time, have you read those? :)

tman wrote: »
    Currently reading James Frey's "My friend Leonard"
    Picks up a bit after a fairly depressing opening (which admittedly I already knew was coming after reading the epilogue of the last book)

Not as gripping as a million little pieces, but still well worth a read...
    Yes, I really enjoyed both those books. I only found out about all the contoversy afterwards. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0104061jamesfrey1.html

I'm now reading "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters, about half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

I'm reading American Psycho at the mo, at the recommendation of my OH. It's definitely an interesting read, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Bateman disgusts me, but I can't stop reading it. Btw, for those that have read it, is there a connection with the subjects of the Patty Winter's show and his state of mind? Imo the more 'serious' subjects seemed to coincide with one of his 'episodes' so to speak. I'm only half-way though, maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Yes, I really enjoyed both those books. I only found out about all the contoversy afterwards. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0104061jamesfrey1.html

I'm now reading "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters, about half way through.

Brill book, you won't be let down by the ending, very satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

The Good Women of China by Xinran.

Advertisement