Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

plasto wrote:
    What is the maximum sized extension to build without planning authority?

Does it matter if the building is in a rural or urban area?

Thanks.

The regulations apply equally to both urban & rural houses. The urban houses might be a bit more complex as you have to retain 25 sq. metres of open space and like most urban developments the house will most likely be a semi or terraced which reduces the exempted size you can build on the first floor and restricts the distances between walls/windows and neighbouring boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I have just ordered the OS planning pack - slowly moving towards putting in an application for a granny flat. I have been looking through previous planning decisions for similar and have a few questions that people here might be able to help me with prior to putting in the application or approaching them at a pre planning meeting.

i). I intend submitting a covering letter with the application demonstrating the need (required by family member due to illness). Will they need medical confirmation of this or is my letter likely to be sufficient?

ii). It will be approx. 36m2 floor area - consisting of 1 bedroom/wc&shower/lounge & kitchenette. I will need to connect up to the waste pipe that leads to the mains. Are they likely to be satisified with this (the house is a small 4 bed semi built in '05) and will they request that a contribution be made because of this??

iii). The finish will be 100mm siberian spruce plank whereas the house is rendered finish. Whats the likelihood of them objecting to this?

iv). I'd like to build right up against the boundary (which adjoins open green space) - can I do this? Other than marking out the position of the structure on the OS map, do I need to confirm in writing that I wish to build right up against the boundary?

Eurorunner wrote:
    I have just ordered the OS planning pack - slowly moving towards putting in an application for a granny flat. I have been looking through previous planning decisions for similar and have a few questions that people here might be able to help me with prior to putting in the application or approaching them at a pre planning meeting.

i). I intend submitting a covering letter with the application demonstrating the need (required by family member due to illness). Will they need medical confirmation of this or is my letter likely to be sufficient?

ii). It will be approx. 36m2 floor area - consisting of 1 bedroom/wc&shower/lounge & kitchenette. I will need to connect up to the waste pipe that leads to the mains. Are they likely to be satisified with this (the house is a small 4 bed semi built in '05) and will they request that a contribution be made because of this??

iii). The finish will be 100mm siberian spruce plank whereas the house is rendered finish. Whats the likelihood of them objecting to this?

iv). I'd like to build right up against the boundary (which adjoins open green space) - can I do this? Other than marking out the position of the structure on the OS map, do I need to confirm in writing that I wish to build right up against the boundary?
    1. You should submit a letter from the GP or nurse or OT outlining the medical condition and the specific need the person.

2. This varies in relation to connection to services. You may get away with a shared connection but it wont be something that you cant overcome. You will most likely have to pay development contributions as it is a self contained unit. If it was shown as an extension of the original house then the devp. fees are not applicable.

3. You will most likely be asked to have the finishes integrated with the existing house finishes.

4. You will need to keep 1 metre away from the boundary as you will need a bit of elbow room for maintenance. Different planning authorities have different regs in relation to this and the amount of open space/gardens etc to the rear of houses.

Will you be able to get a disabled persons grant in respect of the works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

Thank you for your replies.

They were very helpful......do people from the planning office take bribes or court settlements??:D

plasto wrote:
    do people from the planning office take bribes or court settlements??:D
    I have never seen bribes down on the job description or an a C.V. so the answer would be no.

I dont understand the comment about court settlements - care to elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

A point related to whats discussed above re. development contribution. If a person had converted a garage to a study - then later applied for 'change of use' to a self contained granny flat, would the local council be less likely to seek a development contribution (assuming that the study included a toilet linked into the existing sewerage?

I think they would be more likely to hit you for development contributions. Not sure what the position is in relation to granny flats as any domestic extensions are exempt from the charges.

Can you not just convert it and leave it at that?

Or alternatively you could argue that there is still the same number of people resident in the overall building so there's no extra loading on the services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

We got our planning after two long years of trying. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Just got refused on planning application due to local needs in a rural area. Two reasons - Not enough supporting documentation. The architect felt that we did not need to submit supporting documentation unless we were asked for it so he just submitted the local needs form on its own. The other reason is they reckon I may own a house, which I do not, although I am resident a mile away from the site. Fairly depressed as I was following advise from those supposedly in the know. Any suggestions?

cue wrote:
    Just got refused on planning application due to local needs in a rural area. Two reasons - Not enough supporting documentation. The architect felt that we did not need to submit supporting documentation unless we were asked for it so he just submitted the local needs form on its own. The other reason is they reckon I may own a house, which I do not, although I am resident a mile away from the site. Fairly depressed as I was following advise from those supposedly in the know. Any suggestions?
    Maybe you need a new architect. How could he be so silly as to submit a form without backing up the content of it. Would you apply for a passport without a photo?

Best advice I can give you is to take a more pro active role with the application (or the next application). You should look for a pre-planning meeting with the planner and discuss the matter to see what you need to submit with your application. They are legally obliged to give you an appointment but in saying that its low down on their priority list. Write a letter requesting the meeting and take it to your local councillor and let him take it from there. Perhaps he could attend with you also.

• Advertisement

edengarden wrote:
    We got our planning after two long years of trying. :o
    Good news indeed. I suppose when you see that word "Grant" it compensates a wee bit for the time delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 carefree

we have gated access from the main road between us and a neighbour my wife's family may try and build behind us in the future so we need to leave an access road -currently 14 ft. anyone know what the planners require and whether it needs to be splayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭col16

Hi !! We are a bit green in the planning regulations area so bear with me. We are intending to apply for planning for a 1600sqft bungalow (ground floor) and we would like to fit a stairs, velux windows and use the converted attic space (1000sqft approx).
    My question is do i need to submit details about converting the attic in the original plans to the council as i have heard that you do not need Planning permission for Velux windows on rear side of roof.Also i have read that there are different regulations regarding the use of attic space for habitual purposes.(Fire Regs) so just wondering what is the best road to go down and what exactly is needed . (North Cork area)
    Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

A developer is planning to build apartments next door to my dormer bungalow in village of about 1000 houses. The building will be a three-storey structure. There will be a balcony directly opposite the main window of my bedroom at a distance of 22m from the gable. I know that 22m is often regarded as a suitable distance to avoid overlooking when windows are directly oppposite. However in this case the balcony is three metres higher than the window and I fear that it will afford a vantage point into the bedroom for someone on the balcony. Are you aware of any rules or precedents in planning law/practice that might cover this case.

carefree wrote:
    we have gated access from the main road between us and a neighbour my wife's family may try and build behind us in the future so we need to leave an access road -currently 14 ft. anyone know what the planners require and whether it needs to be splayed?
    If they deem the need for a full service road then you are looking at 5.00m wide. Depending on the extent of existing and potential future development the least that will be require will probably be pull-in bays at 70 - 90 metre intervals.

You could well be asked to splay the entrance but more importantly ensure you can achieve and maintain adequate vision lines.

Some of these issues will vary from County to County and from engineer to engineer. As with a lot of these queries a quick call to the planning office and/or the local roads engineer should get you sorted as indeed will your architect.

Aeneas wrote:
    A developer is planning to build apartments next door to my dormer bungalow in village of about 1000 houses. The building will be a three-storey structure. There will be a balcony directly opposite the main window of my bedroom at a distance of 22m from the gable. I know that 22m is often regarded as a suitable distance to avoid overlooking when windows are directly oppposite. However in this case the balcony is three metres higher than the window and I fear that it will afford a vantage point into the bedroom for someone on the balcony. Are you aware of any rules or precedents in planning law/practice that might cover this case.
    22 metres would be adequate separating distance to normally avoid overlooking. However you could argue about the height of the balcony.

On a personal note I don't involve myself in objections or appeals so the best advice I can give you is to engage a planning consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I have received a request for FI and I've a few questions about it.

Firstly is it normal for the planner to ask for "letter from the local clergy stating the address of the family home and the number of years the applicant has lived in the area"

I also have to give a letter from the local school principal, and a copy of my birth cert.

Do I have to go down the the local priest to get this? Any other options?

My other question revolves around this
    The applicant is requested to submit the land registry certificates and folio maps for the entire family land holding from which this site has been taken. Any sites disposed off from the holding should be indicated.( 2 copies).

Please note that when the land registry certs and folio maps for the holding are submitted, this Planning Authority may consider and alternative site nearer the public road to be more appropriate for the development.

Do they have the power to over-rule my location of a site? Can they they force me into choosing a different one?

Would it make a difference if the site was in my name rather than my family? Would that stop them from looking at other possible sites?

Your query is centred around the local needs/indigenous issues. This varies from county to county and really and truly you would either need to read through the housing policies contained the county development plan or be guided by your architect/agent.

Requesting info from the local clergy would be normal enough. However I dont think that you would be restricted to the local clergy. A peace commissioner, solicitor, county councillor etc may be able to give you the info requested but again it will be stated in the devp. plan as to who can provide this info.

In relation to the location of the site they can state where on the overall lands that you can build. For example they may not be happy with your present site because of visual amenities issues, traffic problems, ribbon devp. etc etc and they would refuse the permission but would attach a rider stating that an application for a site located on a certain part of the overall lands would be more favourably considered.

From your post it appears that the land is not registered in your name and it would be pointless to do so now as they would see it as an attempt to circumvent policies they may have.

Best advice I can give you is to enquire as to which of the local councillors has the best "working relationship" with the planning dept and go to him/her and ask them to assist with your application.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

hi i bought a house with a restriction on the planning permission stating that house must not be used as a holiday home.however i could not get decent employment in the area so could not move my family into our new house on a permanent basis.can anyone please tell me what will happen with my house as im not able to comply with the restriction.any help/info would be very grateful.

hi i bought a house with a restriction on the planning permission stating that house must not be used as a holiday home.however i could not get decent employment in the area so could not move my family into our new house on a permanent basis.can anyone please tell me what will happen with my house as im not able to comply with the restriction.any help/info would be very grateful.
    If you have already bought it Im sure your solicitor would have been aware of the condition and unless he has advised you to the contrary I cant see you having any problem with it. In saying that the details you give are sketchy.

When you say that you "could not move my family into our new house on a permanent basis" do you mean that they are there just occasionally (as in a little holiday ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Miles-e-piles

Perhaps someone on boards.ie has had some experience of this and can offer some advice.

My wife and I are currently making some amends to our home/property.

We want to (1) add a driveway to the side of our front garden and (2) remove our front door/entrance (we use the side entrance and back door as the main entrance/exit).

(1) The Department of the Environment and Local Government's leaflet Doing Work around the House – The Planning Issues (PL5) states:

"Car parking spaces, hard surfacing, garden paths, garden ponds and patios etc. are exempt (from planning permission) once they are not more than 1 metre above or below existing ground level. There are no other limitations to the rear of the house but no more than 2 car parking spaces to the side or front of the house are exempt."

OK, so it seems we don't need planning permission for our new driveway, but what about breaking our front garden wall and lowering the footpath? Do we need to obtain some form of permission to do this?

(2) Similarly, do we require some form of permission to remove (brick up) our front doorway/entrance? Removing an entrance wouldn't seem to require planning permission as we are not extending the property in any way. Perhaps I am missing something and some form of permission IS required, any/all advice would be greatly appreciated. M-E-P 16.09.07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Perhaps someone on boards.ie has had some experience of this and can offer some advice.

My wife and I are currently making some amends to our home/property.

We want to (1) add a driveway to the side of our front garden and (2) remove our front door/entrance (we use the side entrance and back door as the main entrance/exit).

(1) The Department of the Environment and Local Government's leaflet Doing Work around the House – The Planning Issues (PL5) states:

"Car parking spaces, hard surfacing, garden paths, garden ponds and patios etc. are exempt (from planning permission) once they are not more than 1 metre above or below existing ground level. There are no other limitations to the rear of the house but no more than 2 car parking spaces to the side or front of the house are exempt."

OK, so it seems we don't need planning permission for our new driveway, but what about breaking our front garden wall and lowering the footpath? Do we need to obtain some form of permission to do this?

(2) Similarly, do we require some form of permission to remove (brick up) our front doorway/entrance? Removing an entrance wouldn't seem to require planning permission as we are not extending the property in any way. Perhaps I am missing something and some form of permission IS required, any/all advice would be greatly appreciated. M-E-P 16.09.07

You will need council approval to put in the new pathway onto the road and AFAIK, they will do it for you and bill you [ insurance reasons ]

I would imagine that they may object to closing off the front door as u are changing the streetscape: from your own perpective are u happy that

1 u are not creating a potential fire hazard

2 diminishing the value of the property as the new access might not suit a new owner

As irocha said you will need permission for the new drive/entrance/dishing.

By closing the door ope you are altering the external front elevation of the house and thus you need permission. You shouldn't have any difficulty in getting permission for this and the whole thing can be done with the same application.

Thanks Muffler,
    By any chance do you know, is it the standard (extensive) planning permission form that needs to be completed (and returned) in respect of these minor amendments or is there a more appropriate form?

Most of the information requested on the standard planning permisssion form relates to extending a property and seems irrelevant to the type of amends we are planning. Thanks again, M-E-P 17.09

Thanks Muffler,
    By any chance do you know, is it the standard (extensive) planning permission form that needs to be completed (and returned) in respect of these minor amendments or is there a more appropriate form?

Most of the information requested on the standard planning permisssion form relates to extending a property and seems irrelevant to the type of amends we are planning. Thanks again, M-E-P 17.09
    Its the same form for every type of planning application - just score through the sections that dont apply to you or your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

We currently have planning permission for a 3800 sq ft dormer bunglow in kildare and we were wondering if anybody knows how difficult it would be to get permission to change a hip roof to a gable end wall its at the back of the house??
    I know that you can make small changes at the back of a house without affecting your planning but this is probably considered a major change!

dcom wrote:
    We currently have planning permission for a 3800 sq ft dormer bunglow in kildare and we were wondering if anybody knows how difficult it would be to get permission to change a hip roof to a gable end wall its at the back of the house??
    I know that you can make small changes at the back of a house without affecting your planning but this is probably considered a major change!
    Strictly speaking you cant change anything in a new build, front back or side, without getting consent. I wouldnt see a problem with changing from a hip to a gable and in fact the planners would prefer gabled ended roofs. However your best bet is to submit it to them as a "minor amendment" It only involves giving them a drawing showing what you propose to amend & how it will look upon completion. Do up a covering letter and pay a fee. The fee for that in Donegal is €63 but it may vary so you would better ringing them first and asking. You should be able to change a copy of the plan yourself. A bit of tippex to take out the hip roof and a couple of straight lines to show the gables will get you sorted.

Many thanks to everyone who helped me with my queries (Adding driveway and removing doorway???).

Is it just me or are the Planning Permission application forms (I downloaded mine from the DLRCOCO website) very poorly designed?

I just wasted a couple of hours trying to complete a PP application in respect of the minor amends I outlined in my original query/post above.

I got so frustrated/confused by the whole affair that I had to ask my wife to contact the Planning Department in DLRCOCO for almost step-by-step assistance in completing the application form.

I'm not particularly stupid, but I found the forms very intimidating and unclear to the general user (home owner). M-E-P, 01.10.07

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

Thanks Muffler.
    I will ring Kildare Co Co tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eve23

Hi, I submitted an application to build a house in galway on a site with poor drainage, it failed percolation test which we knew would happen so our surveyor devised a solution to this problem which was a treatment system followed by a big sand polishing filter, basically he says in the report that if this system is adhered to there should be no problem regards pollution. After the 8 weeks since application was in the planners got back to us and said the application will be refused because of the pollution risk despite the treatment system. can they do this? surely the surveyors opinion must count, after all he is qualified in this area and knows what he is talking about? Any thoughts on this?

Advertisement