Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lung Cancer Statistics?

• 24-02-2007 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

While statistics can be unreliable...was just wondering what the lung cancer rates are for youngish people who quit....Is there any reliable data available? I'm 28 and in need of some motivation...determined this time to make it work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Try registering on a Cancer Forum, and reading through the posts. Statistics are no match for the personal experience of people affected of all ages directly and indirectly. If you are looking for that kind of motivation then do this.
    The earlier you give up the better, the mistake a lot of people make is being young feeling fine and general ignorance. The effects of smoking can follow through to your older years and massively increase cancer chances when your body becomes more affected by the abuses put upon it over time the only option is really to give up as soon as possible.
    Either that or 'possibly' face a gradual deterioration of your body in the most horrible way and in the worst pain and fear imaginable.

You don't just die of Cancer you live it breath it get sick lose your hair, your bones crumble and you end up roaring in pain, when you do die you are most likely going to know and be given a choice of pain relief to the point of being so drugged you don't know what is going on or you can choose to be in pain and say goodbye to your family.

When your body gives up it fights back to breath the organs fail, you may go blind due to possible lesions on the brain and then you die.
    Hope this is motivation enough. Based on a true story of a young lady who had everything going for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

From what I've read if you give up in your twenties your life expectancy will be roughly the same as that of someone who never smoked. I'd imagine that if you give up aged 28 you'll have a higher chance of developing lung cancer in your thirties (how much higher I don't know) but as you get older your risk will start to approach that of the person that never smoked. So if you reach say age 60 you will have roughly the same chance of developing lung cancer as someone who never smoked.

Remember that smoking not only increases the risk of lung and throat cancer but also pancreatic cancer which is one of the deadliest cancers with a very poor 5 year survival rate. Smoking also seems to influence chances of developing cancer of the oesophagus and maybe other cancers as well. Add heart disease on top of that and various respiratory ailments.

I hope this provides some motivation.

Advertisement