Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way to deal with obese children?

• 15-10-2019 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Kids are getting fatter and fatter, and choose to play with iPads instead of playing outside. Despite educational campaigns against fast-food and encouraging exercise, obesity levels are sky rocketing.

How do shield children from a life of sloth and gluttony?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

14dMoney wrote: »
    Kids are getting fatter and fatter, and choose to play with iPads instead of playing outside. Despite educational campaigns against fast-food and encouraging exercise, obesity levels are sky rocketing.

My solution is you adopt all the children in the country, raise them correctly until the age of 18 and then give them back to the parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

punish the parent - cut their benefits if poor or tax them heavily if working.

Spike the water supply with the contraceptive pill. Only those who drink bottled water, who (let's be honest) are wealthier and take better care of their children, will be able to reproduce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

MrAbyss wrote: »
    punish the parent - cut their benefits if poor or tax them heavily if working.

Not all parents with fat kids are on benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Not all parents with fat kids are on benefits.

The majority though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Educate the parents and the children.
    Initiate some sort of sports equipment vouchers for children who stay between accepted weight to height norms each year in school.

I do appreciate there are some conditions which can cause issues, but relatively speaking, they are rare in children.

spurious wrote: »
    Educate the parents and the children.
    Initiate some sort of sports equipment vouchers for children who stay between accepted weight to height norms each year in school.

I do appreciate there are some conditions which can cause issues, but relatively speaking, they are rare in children.

Parents and children are already educated. Who doesn't know the dangers of over-eating and sedentary lifestyles?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

People are getting fatter. If you have fat children, you have parents or guardians who overfeed them. And they are usually fat.

We should be teaching children to calorie count. And then letting them as adults decide what they want to do with the extra weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭randd1

Three times a week, for two hours, bring them to the zoo and leave them in a lions cage. Between the running and climbing, they'll be skinny in no time. And if they don't, then you know, evolution and survival of the fittest and all that.

Or that's not an option, have them simply join a few sports teams, it'll fall right off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Fascinated by fat people OP

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110552344

I'm guessing you're obese

• Advertisement

Fascinated by fat people OP

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110552344

I'm guessing you're obese

> Posts threads about obesity
    > Must be obese

Nice logic pal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stop feeding them?

I dunno how it can be changed TBH. The old cry of more education is largely a dead end from what I can see. Who doesn't know that being fat is unhealthy for kids and adults? Who doesn't know smaller portions and quality non fast/instant food is better? Who doesn't know exercise is good for you? I suppose when it's ranged against the food industry marketing, higher sugar and fat and cheaper larger portions it's not much help.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The average parent is over worked and physically and mentally exhausted by the time they are home and the idea of throwing a pizza in the oven is far easier. On top of that you might have to help the kids with homework because the 7 hours they spent in school earlier isn't deemed enough :rolleyes:

It's easy to call hard working parents lazy but the day is long enough as is without having to slave over an oven. I have 1 kid so I have no excuse so I have the time to cook a home cooked meal for us but 1 or 2 more and I could see how it fall down the list of priorities.

People keep saying we are getting fatter, but in this instagram generation I see more and more are obsessed with the gym, healthy eating and their personal appearance.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Stop feeding them?

I dunno how it can be changed TBH. The old cry of more education is largely a dead end from what I can see. Who doesn't know that being fat is unhealthy for kids and adults? Who doesn't know smaller portions and quality non fast/instant food is better? Who doesn't know exercise is good for you? I suppose when it's ranged against the food industry marketing, higher sugar and fat and cheaper larger portions it's not much help.

My issue with that is that it's cheaper to eat healthy than unhealthy in this country. For the price of a chipper you can by all the ingredients necessary for a healthy meal, which would do for a few days.

I think it's laziness.

rob316 wrote: »
    The average parent is over worked and physically and mentally exhausted by the time they are home and the idea of throwing a pizza in the oven is far easier. On top of that you might have to help the kids with homework because the 7 hours they spent in school earlier isn't deemed enough :rolleyes:

It's easy to call hard working parents lazy but the day is long enough as is without having to slave over an oven. I have 1 kid so I have no excuse so I have the time to cook a home cooked meal for us but 1 or 2 more and I could see how it fall down the list of priorities.

People keep saying we are getting fatter, but in this instagram generation I see more and more are obsessed with the gym, healthy eating and their personal appearance.

Instagram generation that sits on their ever-expanding asses, instead of exercising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

There are probably dozens of reasons such as parents wont let kids out to play by themselves anymore , too much homework kids having their own money etc but I think the biggest one is that parents don't parent anymore
    They don't say no. Little Johnny wants a bag of crisps ,instead of letting the brat scream and roar they give it to them kids get their own way far too much

There are probably dozens of reasons such as parents wont let kids out to play by themselves anymore , too much homework kids having their own money etc but I think the biggest one is that parents don't parent anymore
    They don't say no. Little Johnny wants a bag of crisps ,instead of letting the brat scream and roar they give it to them kids get their own way far too much

Agreed. One thing that my own parents have seen as a massive problem with new parents, is that they ask their child what they want for dinner, instead of simply making something and putting it in front of them. A kid will say pizza or chips everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Mars bar on the end of a stick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There seems to be a little more of the extreme thing going on. More gym bunnies and more fatties, with most in the middle, though fatter than their grandparents were in the vast majority of cases.
    My issue with that is that it's cheaper to eat healthy than unhealthy in this country. For the price of a chipper you can by all the ingredients necessary for a healthy meal, which would do for a few days.

I think it's laziness.
    It certainly can be, that and the neurotransmitter buzz people can get from fat and carb laden foods. A buzz built into our DNA over millions of years of evolution as such foods are very rare in the natural world we inhabited until the last couple of centuries. It's only in advertising where people smile uncontrollably around salads.

d5234b6dce047704fbaad1978eb0c09a.jpg

Add in what Rob316 mentioned about people's individual workloads being higher than previous generations, never mind the massively increased flood of things vying for our attention in our downtime and the traditional gender roles being diluted and both parents working to keep a roof over their head, then dialling a chinner dinner at the end of a long day is an easier choice for many. It's not my choice, but I can see why it can be for many people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Parents and children are already educated. Who doesn't know the dangers of over-eating and sedentary lifestyles?

I meant more in the detail.
    Eat less does not always translate, if people are not eating less of certain things and more of others. The Slimming World plan is very good. Lots and lots of fruit and veg. Only one or two main dairy items a day, less bread, sauces etc..

I'm sure if there was an easy solution, someone would have hit on it by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Will get even worse now that electric scooters seem to be a standard gadget for kids now too.
    Cannot understand a parent that buys that for their kid, they are basically making it more likely they'll have health problems in the future..

Wibbs wrote: »
    There seems to be a little more of the extreme thing going on. More gym bunnies and more fatties, with most in the middle, though fatter than their grandparents were in the vast majority of cases.

It certainly can be, that and the neurotransmitter buzz people can get from fat and carb laden foods. A buzz built into our DNA over millions of years of evolution as such foods are very rare in the natural world we inhabited until the last couple of centuries. It's only in advertising where people smile uncontrollably around salads.

d5234b6dce047704fbaad1978eb0c09a.jpg

Add in what Rob316 mentioned about people's individual workloads being higher than previous generations, never mind the massively increased flood of things vying for our attention in our downtime and the traditional gender roles being diluted and both parents working to keep a roof over their head, then dialling a chinner dinner at the end of a long day is an easier choice for many. It's not my choice, but I can see why it can be for many people.

Chinner dinner. I'm stealing that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The physically and mentally exhausted thing is bullsh*t in my opinion. It's something that is used far to easily as an excuse.

It's about being organised.

If you are physically and mentally exhausted after work and not able to put aside 30 minutes to prepare a meal and instead want to watch celebreties in a jungle island in cornation street, there is a problem with your organisation and priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The physically and mentally exhausted thing is bullsh*t in my opinion. It's something that is used far to easily as an excuse.

It's about being organised.

If you are physically and mentally exhausted after work and not able to put aside 30 minutes to prepare a meal and instead want to watch celebreties in a jungle island in cornation street, there is a problem with your organisation and priorities.

What's wrong with having a half hour to yourself?

Its no coincidence that as the tradition of a stay at home mother is a thing of a past, our children are getting fatter. A house still has to be run at the end of the day, its only natural you will take shortcuts.
    Both parents have to work now such is the overheads of living and keeping a roof over your head.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

What's wrong with having a half hour to yourself?

Its no coincidence that as the tradition of a stay at home mother is a thing of a past, our children are getting fatter. A house still has to be run at the end of the day, its only natural you will take shortcuts.
    Both parents have to work now such is the overheads of living and keeping a roof over your head.

If it's a toss up between cooking a healthy meal for your kids, or half an hour for yourself, i know where my priority lies.
    Plus with better organisation you can have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteThread closed. Similar thread you have started have also being closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement