Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Service room

Options
  • 02-10-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Has anyone converted their hot press to service room in their house?

My plans have a hot press room size 3.0m x 1.8m. Im putting a2w into house. This was decided after plans were done. The HP is upstairs in centre of house. Could this be used as a service room and put all a2w equipment in there? Its next to bathroom and away from bedrooms. If i was redesigning my house again i would have had a dedicated service room downstairs but as i dont have a service room i was thinking of using this instead. I would like a room for easy service and maintenance of a2w system without packing it into the utility. All bathrooms pipes are in the same location of house and next to hot press upstairs and downstairs.

Has anyone their plant room upstairs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

teednab-el wrote: »
    Has anyone converted their hot press to service room in their house?

My plans have a hot press room size 3.0m x 1.8m. Im putting a2w into house. This was decided after plans were done. The HP is upstairs in centre of house. Could this be used as a service room and put all a2w equipment in there? Its next to bathroom and away from bedrooms. If i was redesigning my house again i would have had a dedicated service room downstairs but as i dont have a service room i was thinking of using this instead. I would like a room for easy service and maintenance of a2w system without packing it into the utility. All bathrooms pipes are in the same location of house and next to hot press upstairs and downstairs.

Has anyone their plant room upstairs?

Anyone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone?

What is the M&E contractor saying.
    If they can make the space work then go ahead.

kceire wrote: »
    What is the M&E contractor saying.
    If they can make the space work then go ahead.

Plenty of space. Is it ok to have the service room upstairs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Plenty of space. Is it ok to have the service room upstairs?

Yes in my opinion.
    There will be added risk in that particular space due to the M&E equipment so I would specify an additional interlinked smoke detector for early warning if possible fire.

Yes in my opinion.
    There will be added risk in that particular space due to the M&E equipment so I would specify an additional interlinked smoke detector for early warning if possible fire.

It would be ideal if i could use that room as the service room. I haven't seen a service room in upstairs plans before but im sure people have done it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭SC024

Yes in my opinion.

maybe tank the floor & fit a floor gulley too ?

SC024 wrote: »
    maybe tank the floor & fit a floor gulley too ?

For leaks?

For leaks?

ye more a belt & braces thing tho

ye more a belt & braces thing tho

Is it a good idea with service room upstairs? Don't have the options downstairs but have a big enough space upstairs to put it there if it works?

Is it a good idea with service room upstairs? Don't have the options downstairs but have a big enough space upstairs to put it there if it works?

Tanking it? Would certainly be no harm ^ cost wise would only be a small fraction of the over all, maybe 300 euros+ the cost of an outlet in floor I'd estimate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I wouldn’t bother with the drain, as any trap will just go dry, leading to smell &/or draft through soil vent system. But tanking floor is worth considering - use same system you’d use on shower. It’s a handy diy job.

BryanF wrote: »
    I wouldn’t bother with the drain, as any trap will just go dry, leading to smell &/or draft through soil vent system. But tanking floor is worth considering - use same system you’d use on shower. It’s a handy diy job.

I also have a garage which is 25meters away from the house.

Its 6.1 x 9.1 meters loads of space. I know it will be more expensive to plumb but would that be better alternative? Build a section inside the garage dedicated for plant room 3m x 1.5m. No noise no leaks to worry about and easy service and maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Its 6.1 x 9.1 meters loads of space. I know it will be more expensive to plumb but would that be better alternative? Build a section inside the garage dedicated for plant room 3m x 1.5m. No noise no leaks to worry about and easy service and maintenance?

From a plumbers perspective that would be the much better way to go as long as all pipework between the garage and house is encased in top insulation.
    Certainly the best location for maintenance and in case of any leaks, plus you save valuable living space.

Yes Loads of space.

you could tank floor put in a drain to a gulley outside with insect mesh over no need for a trap then.

the garage would work but will likely need a secondary return for hot water so as your not waiting 5 mins after turning on hot tap for water to get hot.
    will also lead to increased (however negligible) heatlosses from the extra pipe runs.
    additional costs for ducts / pipes to run to garage.
    however if you are putting in a pressurized hot/cold water system I would put the booster pump in the garage. If booster pump is in house, ensure its fitted on anti vibration mat & that the toilet cisterns are fed via gravity direct from the tank.

Yes Loads of space.

you could tank floor put in a drain to a gulley outside with insect mesh over no need for a trap then.

the garage would work but will likely need a secondary return for hot water so as your not waiting 5 mins after turning on hot tap for water to get hot.
    will also lead to increased (however negligible) heatlosses from the extra pipe runs.
    additional costs for ducts / pipes to run to garage.
    however if you are putting in a pressurized hot/cold water system I would put the booster pump in the garage. If booster pump is in house, ensure its fitted on anti vibration mat & that the toilet cisterns are fed via gravity direct from the tank.

So can all a2w equipment go there in section of garage? The garage isn't insulated. Would that be an issue in cold weather? Can the Heat recovery system go in there too? The one thing that worries me are leaks in the house if the a2w unit leaks your house would be destroyed.

So can all a2w equipment go there in section of garage? The garage isn't insulated. Would that be an issue in cold weather? Can the Heat recovery system go in there too? The one thing that worries me are leaks in the house if the a2w unit leaks your house would be destroyed.

Would you not just go back to your architect and tweak the existing plan to suit?

You’re wasting your own time here. One minute you’re talking about heat pumps, next minute you’re asking about heat recovery ventilation. Your mvhr will not be going in a detached garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can get very decent seal drains which close up with no water load. These prevent suction and drafts from the soil.

Would you not just go back to your architect and tweak the existing plan to suit?

You’re wasting your own time here. One minute you’re talking about heat pumps, next minute you’re asking about heat recovery ventilation. Your mvhr will not be going in a detached garage.

How do you mean to tweak existing plan?

Nothing has gone in yet. But its upstairs and i have a few concerns. There isnt a plan available to me yet by the installer/builder. People can ask questions here too i thought before deciding what to do? It is a forum right? Sorry for annoying you in particular again.

How do you mean to tweak existing plan?

Nothing has gone in yet. But its upstairs and i have a few concerns. There isnt a plan available to me yet by the installer/builder. People can ask questions here too i thought before deciding what to do? It is a forum right? Sorry for annoying you in particular again.
    this is the right forum.

Let’s go back to the OP and the following sentence:
    If i was redesigning my house again i would have had a dedicated service room downstairs

First of all you wanted to move the house?
    Then you didn’t want mvhr, then you didn’t want to answer simple construction questions, then finally when we got enough feed back, it became clear some normal building design steps have been skipped, and soon after the thread went dead https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.phpp=111229293&postcount=40

So two weeks later, another thread, where the goals posts get moved from heat pumps in the garage to mvhr in garage!

Now, I must apologise, my comment about ‘you wasting your time’ was not fair! But, You are flip-flopping through technical decisions, we can see that from your recent threads, when you should be talking to whoever is designing the house. You are on site correct? As in the builder is building right now? Time is of the essence, so sit down an plan out what you want, with your designer & builder.

Best of luck

this is the right forum.

Let’s go back to the OP and the following sentence:

First of all you wanted to move the house?
    Then you didn’t want mvhr, then you didn’t want to answer simple construction questions, then finally when we got enough feed back, it became clear some normal building design steps have been skipped, and soon after the thread went dead https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.phpp=111229293&postcount=40

So two weeks later, another thread, where the goals posts get moved from heat pumps in the garage to mvhr in garage!

Now, I must apologise, my comment about ‘you wasting your time’ was not fair! But, You are flip-flopping through technical decisions, we can see that from your recent threads, when you should be talking to whoever is designing the house. You are on site correct? As in the builder is building right now? Time is of the essence, so sit down an plan out what you want, with your designer & builder.

Best of luck

Respect your advice and feedback. Flip flopping is a fair description but im finding out things and learning as i go along. Thanks again for your help. Im sure i will sort everything in the end eventhough a bit messy at present.

A bit of advice for you. You know your stuff and have great knowledge . You don't have to be d#ck here and start talking about my other threads and putting me down. Last time il post here with that attitude. Thanks for your time and to everyone else here for their helpful responses in here .

• Advertisement
Advertisement