Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repairing an error

• 26-06-2019 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

I recently decided to try make a butcher block style counter top out of teak. It was going pretty good until last night when I made a bit of an error.

I glued all the pieces together at the weekend but the surface was uneven so decided to get the electric plane out to level it. Unfortunately I was too aggressive and I now have chipped the edge of one of the interior boards. The damaged board is of course right in the centre of the countertop so I will need to fill it.

Can anyone recommend a good quality wood filler for teak or is there a better way to go about repairing it? I was considering epoxy but I think the obvious contrast of material right in the centre of the countertop could ruin the look.

I’ve only ever used wood fillers from Ronseal and thought they didn’t match the colour well and looked cheap at the end so I’m hoping there’s better quality ones available.

This is by far the most ambitious piece of furniture I’ve ever tried to build so really want it to look good at the end

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Using a filler is not a good idea. it will probably pop out at some stage when chopping and never looks good. You are better off letting in a new piece of matching wood either by chiseling in a square/ rectangular patch or using a plug cutter with matching drill size.

Advertisement