Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a Course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mayomairt

Carne Links (Belmullet) is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mayomairt wrote: »
    Carne Links (Belmullet) is superb.

An awful long trek to get there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Enniscrone has to get a mention.
    Also Strandhill, a little beaut.
    Agree with Ballinrobe, a great course, apart from the flies in summer!
    Carne is great too, awesome setting but, as mentioned, a trip to the moon and back to get there.
    Headfort too, two awesome courses with different parkland challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I played Mullingar a few times and enjoyed it.
    It’s always memorable though when you play well on a particular course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

How does it compare to Ballinrobe? Played Ballinrobe a couple of time and thought it was a great track. Might try to get a round in Sat before the match.

Sorry only seeing this now, I think ballinrobe is probably better than it still but castlebar has certainly closed the gap with the new holes. Will be interesting to see when it’s fully complete what it will be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Ballinrobe, Strandhill, Enniscrone and Carne are 4 excellent courses in the lesser known bracket.
    Nairn and portnoo, Portsalon are super little links as well.

Struggling to think of many parkland maybe Bradford new

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

An awful long trek to get there unfortunately.

Think the roads just make it feel longer!

From Dublin its about the same Journey as Conemmara, Rosepenna or Ballylifin and is probably 45 mins closer than Waterville

it really depends where you are coming from for Carne. If travelling to carne, I would take in enniscrone in the same day or the day after.
    Its only an hour from me so I usually play it 4/5 times a year. love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Another vote for Carne. I absolutely love playing it, the back 9 of the old course and new 9 are spectacular. Always worth the trip.

Galway Bay GC is an excellent track. Parkland but with a linksy feel, particularly the back 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I may have to make a trip to Carne!

What's green fees like up there?

• Advertisement

galwayllm wrote: »
    I may have to make a trip to Carne!

What's green fees like up there?

I think the GUI is about 50/60 this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Another vote for Carne. I absolutely love playing it, the back 9 of the old course and new 9 are spectacular. Always worth the trip.

Galway Bay GC is an excellent track. Parkland but with a linksy feel, particularly the back 9.

Are the new 9 fully in play?
    Hoping to get out there next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭techdiver

New Forest is in unbelievable condition at the moment. Just hosted the Irish Boys Amateur Open Championship last week.

Open every Friday for €25 or casual round for €35 (€20 with a member) any other time.

Junior Scratch Cup this weekend €30 entrance fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

I hadn't played here in over ten years,and have to admit I wasn't expecting much after it's change from the South County to the cheap end of the pay and play market. But, while the first impressions of the state of the clubhouse were are not great, the condition of the course was excellent considering the shoestring budget they must be on.
    I paid the princely sum of €20 to play there, which is one of the golfing bargains of the year. This was a place that used to (just) get onto top 100 lists, and it's good to see that the greens keepers have not let their standards slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Narin & Portnoo is well worth a visit. New tee boxes and some new greens so when saw it on Sunday it looked spectacular, more overlooking the beach (The best in Ireland imo). Can't wait to get back out there

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Mushy wrote: »
    Narin & Portnoo is well worth a visit. New tee boxes and some new greens so when saw it on Sunday it looked spectacular, more overlooking the beach (The best in Ireland imo). Can't wait to get back out there

Apart from a nondescript opener and an appalling par 3 towards the end, I thought Narin was a pure joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

thewobbler wrote: »
    Apart from a nondescript opener and an appalling par 3 towards the end, I thought Narin was a pure joy.

Yeah first has changed, think green is to the left now, unsure in New features. Think it's 2/3 or 3/4 combined to one hole to make a new one elsewhere. Hopefully more of a joy next time out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would go back just to stand on the 8th again.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

In the midlands the weekend after next, any good courses around that would be quiet enough to get a round in? I played Moate a few years back. What is it like now does anyone know? Or Athlone or Glasson?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

Another shout for Castlebar from me. The new holes are excellent (with more to come i think?)

https://twitter.com/DARGolf_/status/1137079702554914816

And the greens are always in excellent nick anytime i've played there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I played Connemara at the weekend, thought it was a great course, nice change from the Parklands I play.

The wind can have a real affect on it being so open, but thankfully it was not a problem on Satuday.

I didn't get time to play the new 9 down by the beach, but next time I'll make time.

Great fun, great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

mike12 wrote: »
    Are the new 9 fully in play?
    Hoping to get out there next month.

I don't know. It's two years since I played the new 9. They were closed last year and I played Carne earlier in the year and they were still closed.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I don't know. It's two years since I played the new 9. They were closed last year and I played Carne earlier in the year and they were still closed.

Website says they are closed, although I don't know how up to date that is.
    I have played them and they are very good holes. The rough/dunes are a lot more punishing than the existing 18 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Another shout for Castlebar from me. The new holes are excellent (with more to come i think?)

https://twitter.com/DARGolf_/status/1137079702554914816

And the greens are always in excellent nick anytime i've played there

More work to come but the major changes occured in Phase 1. Phase 2 is existing greens and fairway work along with 1 new hole iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Irish94 wrote: »
    In the midlands the weekend after next, any good courses around that would be quiet enough to get a round in? I played Moate a few years back. What is it like now does anyone know? Or Athlone or Glasson?

Birr is in great condition at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

I like Edmonstown and Tulfarris, but for pure beauty, Kilkee on a sunny day has some stunning views

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FKYouPayMe

It’s a 9 hole but Tubercurry is well worth a shout, this greens!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate is in really good condition at the minute. It's maturing nicely and has an extended 8th hole with new green and the 9th is now a dogleg with a new tee box which will be different for you if you haven't played it in a few years.
    Irish94 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Played Millicent last week after never hearing of the place until a few days before we played there.

Really, really nice course for the price (Golf Now).

I think we had the 3 very long Par 5s into the wind which was beyond tough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Greenore, Co. Louth. Lovely course. Open competition every Tuesday 20 euro for visitors. Lovely views too.

Playing here for Junior Cup finals in two weeks. Anyone got some course tips.

Advertisement