Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chronic Achilles injury.

• 13-06-2019 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

After physio appointments, dry needling, eccentric stretches etc.etc. no great improvement....can run for maybe 30 mins on flat surface before any discomfort...anyone experience similar and find a solution.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Trebhygt wrote: »
    After physio appointments, dry needling, eccentric stretches etc.etc. no great improvement....can run for maybe 30 mins on flat surface before any discomfort...anyone experience similar and find a solution.

Thanks.

Get another opinion. What did the physio appointments do? I would always ask what is causing the achillies problem.

If all you'e had is passive treatments i.e. Massage, needling etc you're only getting to one small part of the problem.

Massive thing I've noticed in all my runners of late is ankle dorsiflexion is seriously lacking. Something you could look at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Trebhygt wrote: »

Thanks.
    have you stopped running for a period of time?

How long have you had the injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did you ever get your gait checked?

I was never a runner but played football, and I suffered chronic achilles tendonitis approx 10 years ago.

Once I got orthotics fitted the problem went away, almost in a couple of weeks. And I was in severe pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

I've had chronic insertional tendonipathy of the achiles since 2011. I have gone through several phases, from the "Can't walk without excruciating pain" to my current phase of "No pain and I can even run!" - however I've never ran for 30 mins, not even before my injury, so I don't know if this matters much to your specific case, but as this was a very debilitating problem for me, I figure I'd share it anyway.

From my research and physio therapy sessions I learnt that if your calves and hamstrings are flexible and strong, you'll likely not experience as much pain on the Achilles. During initial stages, some pain and discomfort as you work your calves is expected and necessary. This is effectively what I had to do in order to get to where I am today pain wise, which is none. This also means I do plenty of "calf raises" at the gym and stretch my calves on a daily basis.

It's also worth mentioning that calves have two heads - gastrocnemius and soleus - and in order to hit them both, you need to adjust the position of your foot during heel drops on stairs or calve raise machine, for example.

Also, in terms of progression, you need to keep the load going up in terms of reps and/or weight. After 20 calf raises on just one leg off the edge of the stairs seems easy, start loading yourself by holding a plate or a heavy dumbell, a school bag with heavy books, etc.

Finally, after checking your gait, consider also elevated heel insoles and or shoes. I used to wear columbia shoes which I loved the aesthetics of but gave me very poor walking and constant bouts of pain. When I started wearing Merrell footwear, I noticed a huge improvement. Haven't looked back.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Trebhygt

Transform wrote: »
    have you stopped running for a period of time?

How long have you had the injury?

Close to a year...ye, use to run 3 times a week...now cut back to once a week and shorter distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Trebhygt

gagomes wrote: »
    I've had chronic insertional tendonipathy of the achiles since 2011. I have gone through several phases, from the "Can't walk without excruciating pain" to my current phase of "No pain and I can even run!" - however I've never ran for 30 mins, not even before my injury, so I don't know if this matters much to your specific case, but as this was a very debilitating problem for me, I figure I'd share it anyway.

From my research and physio therapy sessions I learnt that if your calves and hamstrings are flexible and strong, you'll likely not experience as much pain on the Achilles. During initial stages, some pain and discomfort as you work your calves is expected and necessary. This is effectively what I had to do in order to get to where I am today pain wise, which is none. This also means I do plenty of "calf raises" at the gym and stretch my calves on a daily basis.

It's also worth mentioning that calves have two heads - gastrocnemius and soleus - and in order to hit them both, you need to adjust the position of your foot during heel drops on stairs or calve raise machine, for example.

Also, in terms of progression, you need to keep the load going up in terms of reps and/or weight. After 20 calf raises on just one leg off the edge of the stairs seems easy, start loading yourself by holding a plate or a heavy dumbell, a school bag with heavy books, etc.

Finally, after checking your gait, consider also elevated heel insoles and or shoes. I used to wear columbia shoes which I loved the aesthetics of but gave me very poor walking and constant bouts of pain. When I started wearing Merrell footwear, I noticed a huge improvement. Haven't looked back.

HTH

Thanks for that info....wear the elevated heel insoles ...will def. add weight when doing calf raises and eccentric stretches...also will concentrate on loosening the calf muscles...time is prob. the key with this.

Advertisement