Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

boomdocker wrote: »

I'm not surprised. Rumours about that Durrant might get in. As Anderson got in on merit though it should really go to the next player in the rankings and that's Simon Whitlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭sc86

would love to see durrant in it but dont think he will

people might believe anderson bout his injury now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Whitlock would have reason to feel very hard done by if he doesn't get in
    You never know though with Mr Hearn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That is a truly awful idea! The main reason being if a Premier League players draws or wins against a 'contender' they win points for the Premier League. So how did they decide who would play who? Clearly they are all at different standards so some players have much easier games than others. Not to be too harsh on Steve Lennon but you would have to be happy playing him rather than Gary Anderson!

And to add insult to injury, Whitlock is not even one of the 'contenders'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

As if the premier league wasn't bad enough, that is a shocker of a decision.

event is a bit of a joke anyway , but this makes it a bigger farce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Jaysus

That's bizarre
    Suppose it makes you realise it is just a travelling exhibition
    And ya, Whitlock will feel completely screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Bizarre decision made my mind up won’t be watching premier league this year they’ve just confirmed themselves it’s a glorified exhibition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Great reaction on the PDC twitter in the comments

https://twitter.com/OfficialPDC/status/1092397926201069569

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

A whole new level of stupidness. Anything to get Max Hopp in I suppose. Whitlock,lewis an chizzy must be absolutely fuming unless they turned it down at such short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Complete farce, this exhibition is dead in all but name.

I won’t watch a single match

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

The Premier League needed shaking up IMO but not like this last minute decision.

But in this case they should've gone the whole hog and allowed wins by the contenders to count in the league table, giving them a chance to get beyond judgment night; rather than only allowing points picked up against them to count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭shockframe

More of a disaster for losing Anderson than anything. His action and speed of throw is tailor made for the Premier League. He's been an ever present since he switched over bar the 1st year.

I'm not as opposed to the 9 outsiders getting in. Whitlock has every right to be annoyed but he adds nothing really to this event. The masters over the weekend was the same tired standard with the same old faces. The premier league will seem like more of the same. The novelty of Dobey, Aspinall, Van Den Bergh, Durrant et al might be worth watching.

You'd wonder though has the PDC peaked. Players seem to be moaning more and more like what apparently happened with snooker during its 80s boom before its decline. 3 of its prized assets are retired/retiring and careers are getting shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Great experience for those players chosen but does make it into a bit of an exhibition.

While we're on the subject, I've ran the prediction comp the last couple of years and just realised that it's kicking off on Thursday. This year between one thing and another I won't be able to do it. I get the impression that the general interest in the PL is at an all time low anyway so it seems no-one will be all that bothered either way.

people say the pdc has never been stronger
    taylor / anderson drop out of pl 1 year after the other and look who have been replaced it
    john feckin henderson

sc86 wrote: »
    people say the pdc has never been stronger
    taylor / anderson drop out of pl 1 year after the other and look who have been replaced it
    john feckin henderson

With Taylor gone and Barney retiring I think everyone agrees that darts needs a few more heavyweights.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Great experience for those players chosen but does make it into a bit of an exhibition.

While we're on the subject, I've ran the prediction comp the last couple of years and just realised that it's kicking off on Thursday. This year between one thing and another I won't be able to do it. I get the impression that the general interest in the PL is at an all time low anyway so it seems no-one will be all that bothered either way.

The only thing I enjoy about the Premier League was the prediction comp :(

The only thing I enjoy about the Premier League was the prediction comp :(

ah jaysus..ok I'll do it...but no bonus rounds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dingaan

The premier league definitely needs a bit of a shake up. You feel the players just go through the motions week in week out. It's doesn't help that we see the same matches probably dozens of times every year with all the non ranking events taking place.

The hard part is deciding on the required shake up. Anyone have any ideas to what they could do?

Dingaan wrote: »
    The premier league definitely needs a bit of a shake up. You feel the players just go through the motions week in week out. It's doesn't help that we see the same matches probably dozens of times every year with all the non ranking events taking place.

The hard part is deciding on the required shake up. Anyone have any ideas to what they could do?

Make it a ranking tournament with qualification criteria or even by the OOM.

If eliminated, no entry the following year.

First to 6 or 10 legs, no draws.

Even the fact someone could barley scrape 4th place could win a league off the guy who's miles ahead in 1st place is bad. So scrap the play offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I must be the only person who likes the format and Thursday night darts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

My problem with the Premier League is that it goes on far too long (is t something like 15 or 16 weeks?) and it is the same repetitive faces every week.

Cut the entrants down to 8, each player plays each other once and have a playoff night and i'd be far more interested.

Thread open for this year's PL prediction comp.

Degag wrote: »
    My problem with the Premier League is that it goes on far too long (is t something like 15 or 16 weeks?) and it is the same repetitive faces every week.

Cut the entrants down to 8, each player plays each other once and have a playoff night and i'd be far more interested.

The only problem with that is that the Premier League is the PDC's cash cow and it's the reason the prize money has been increased in so many tournaments.

Making it a ranked tournament is the way to go, it's the only way to get players more invested in the competition. I like the idea if you're eliminated that you can't qualify the following year. Again it means the players will care more. I can't see the PDC or Sky going for that though because they would be too afraid one of the big guns finishes in the bottom 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Maliah Scrawny Man

If anyone knows any decent streams for tomorrow pm me please

The PDC are running their own prediction competition with tickets up for grabs as prizes.

https://www.surveygizmo.eu/s3/90125807/Premier-League-2019-Predictions-Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

3 180's in the opening leg , quality

• Advertisement

Wade with a really high standard but Barney could have been 3-0 up.

Advertisement