Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WRITTEN EXAMINERS 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

acequion wrote: »

If young teachers want /need to do it I'd say fire away. But for the older and ironically more experienced teacher [which is what's needed] there's little incentive.

That's where I am! I've corrected for about 20 of the past 30 years and this was to be my last year before I hung up my red biro for good; but now I don't think I'll bother. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'd love to correct under the online system, just to compare.

I'd say it would be well suited to LCA papers where answers are often not that deep, or MCQs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Is it true for online marking you don't correct complete papers, but rather sets of questions? i.e. correct all the Q1's in one go, then a bunch of Q2's.
    Might mean a lot more borderline grades.... not that markers would ever try and avoid borderline grades of course:rolleyes:
    Surprised to hear that. We were always told that we weren't even to mark separate components separately because we were supposed to get an overall impression of the candidate.

That being said, I try to mark my own students question by question rather than paper by paper because I feel that there are a number of advantages, including consistency and making it easier to spot cheating, both of which could apply to marking with the SEC too. I don't usually have a marking scheme for my own class tests though, which is why consistency is an issue. It shouldn't be when there's a strong, prescriptive marking scheme, as is generally the case with state exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

RealJohn wrote: »
    Surprised to hear that. We were always told that we weren't even to mark separate components separately because we were supposed to get an overall impression of the candidate.

That being said, I try to mark my own students question by question rather than paper by paper because I feel that there are a number of advantages, including consistency and making it easier to spot cheating, both of which could apply to marking with the SEC too. I don't usually have a marking scheme for my own class tests though, which is why consistency is an issue. It shouldn't be when there's a strong, prescriptive marking scheme, as is generally the case with state exams.

If that was for state examsI think that was a subtle hint.... NO Borderlines
    An overall impression is useless to you unless you are going to go back and act on it (change grades).
    Although maybe for certain subjects (English!) it might be more subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rawwrrrr

If anyone is thinking about correcting... I’m just going to leave this here!

• Advertisement

rawwrrrr wrote: »
    If anyone is thinking about correcting... I’m just going to leave this here!

Fascinating! The USC rate is in excess of 8% so you're clearly a big earner.

So maybe consider stopping being greedy in future and enjoy your summer holidays! :P

Fascinating! The USC rate is in excess of 8% so you're clearly a big earner.

So maybe consider stopping being greedy in future and enjoy your summer holidays! :P

Wow yer all heart. You're calling someone who says they pay an effective rate of 50% greedy.. are you Charlie Haughty or something:D

It's good to know for anyone with childcare though. You'd think you're earning by putting the kids in childcare while you slog away at the correcting, when in fact you'd be better off keeping them out.

But anyway.... good luck when your little Jimmy is getting their leaving cert corrected by someone still in college and never taught the course a day in their life :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think Simple Simone meant it as a joke.
    I'm off to polish my gold-plated pension.

spurious wrote: »
    I think Simple Simone meant it as a joke.
    I'm off to polish my gold-plated pension.

well that went right over my head so... kind of like my teacher neighbour's jet on the hollidays to Dubai

Wow yer all heart. You're calling someone who says they pay an effective rate of 50% greedy.. are you Charlie Haughty or something:D

It's good to know for anyone with childcare though. You'd think you're earning by putting the kids in childcare while you slog away at the correcting, when in fact you'd be better off keeping them out.

But anyway.... good luck when your little Jimmy is getting their leaving cert corrected by someone still in college and never taught the course a day in their life :pac:

I'd really love to be earning enough to be paying an effective rate of 50% on my income!

And if I was, then you can bet your mortgage that I definitely wouldn't be wasting a month of my summer holidays doing the bloody corrections! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Layne

I loved it. 15 days work INLCUDING CONFERENCE, no totals, no post office.

Similar to a previous poster I am tempted to dip my feet again after a number of years of inactivity i.e. enjoying a well earned break.
    The 15 days work post caught my attention. I remember back in the day it was a 2 day marking conference in Athlone followed by 3 weeks approx of correcting. For those that have used the new online system I have a few questions to lob in your general direction:
    1. With the online system does it mean there are no physical scripts to be collected and stored in a safe place for a few weeks??
    2. Is it still a 2 day marking conference in Athlone?? I used correct JC.
    3. Has the move over to the online system had any dramatic impact on the take home pay??

Sounds like a more efficient system to be fair. Could handle 15 days of correcting I reckon. Used to be the middle of July before I was able to return the bag of scripts but the duration of the correcting now seems to be more condensed?? Would this be a fair assumption to make??

Apologies for all the questions. Any information or advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Layne wrote: »
    Similar to a previous poster I am tempted to dip my feet again after a number of years of inactivity i.e. enjoying a well earned break.
    The 15 days work post caught my attention. I remember back in the day it was a 2 day marking conference in Athlone followed by 3 weeks approx of correcting. For those that have used the new online system I have a few questions to lob in your general direction:
    1. With the online system does it mean there are no physical scripts to be collected and stored in a safe place for a few weeks??
    2. Is it still a 2 day marking conference in Athlone?? I used correct JC.
    3. Has the move over to the online system had any dramatic impact on the take home pay??

Sounds like a more efficient system to be fair. Could handle 15 days of correcting I reckon. Used to be the middle of July before I was able to return the bag of scripts but the duration of the correcting now seems to be more condensed?? Would this be a fair assumption to make??

Apologies for all the questions. Any information or advice appreciated.

No scripts to be collected. Paper free. Yes, it is still a two day conference. I received less in terms of pay alright. New JC scripts are worth less money and there’s only one paper now (English). I received the same administration fee but the cynic in me would imagine that it will be phased out as there’s very little admin. I wouldn’t bother doing it for the money. It really wouldn’t be worth your while. I just wanted to get my head around the new system. I’m going back to LC this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Which subjects have gone paperless? I corrected home economics (junior cert) last year and the paperwork side of it has put me off doing it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Which subjects have gone paperless? I corrected home economics (junior cert) last year and the paperwork side of it has put me off doing it again this year.

Business studies is corrected online this year.

Some of the Maths papers will be corrected online this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

You'd imagine they'd promote the online scrips more and get people agreeing to correct early, rather than scrambling around in June still looking for victims!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

LC foundation maths is online for the 1st time. Not sure I like the sound of getting locked out etc

homolumo wrote: »
    LC foundation maths is online for the 1st time. Not sure I like the sound of getting locked out etc

Probably depends on what type of advising examiner you get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

homolumo wrote: »

You're only locked out temporarily and it's only that specific question. It's only done if you award too many/few marks to the question. It's a very easy system to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amaryt03

Hi there, I havn't received any word about online or tradition marking yet. Got the original offer back in Dec/Jan but no notification of Conference. Have you got your dates yet by any chance. For some reason I thought we got that info in April. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

amaryt03 wrote: »
    Hi there, I havn't received any word about online or tradition marking yet. Got the original offer back in Dec/Jan but no notification of Conference. Have you got your dates yet by any chance. For some reason I thought we got that info in April. Cheers.

No I think it’s a few weeks later than later. Probably towards the end of this month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I am considering ringing the SEC tomorrow to say I am available to mark LC English OL, as they are still looking for people. I marked once before for CSPE in 2007 and am assuming the set-up hasn't changed too much. I checked the dates of the conference on the website and it also has the Sprioc La -- this is the date all exams need to be returned by is that correct? Does anyone know the rate per paper of LC English OL and how many a first timer should expect? Thanks

sitstill wrote: »
    I am considering ringing the SEC tomorrow to say I am available to mark LC English OL, as they are still looking for people. I marked once before for CSPE in 2007 and am assuming the set-up hasn't changed too much. I checked the dates of the conference on the website and it also has the Sprioc La -- this is the date all exams need to be returned by is that correct? Does anyone know the rate per paper of LC English OL and how many a first timer should expect? Thanks

Well as a first timer, I can't honestly see you being offered leaving cert unless they are very stuck. You have to prove yourself at junior cert or be a very experienced teacher.

Yes sprioc là is the date you fill in marking sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Well as a first timer, I can't honestly see you being offered leaving cert unless they are very stuck. You have to prove yourself at junior cert or be a very experienced teacher.

Yes sprioc là is the date you fill in marking sheets.

OK thanks for the info. I am teaching 13 years and given that they are still short for LC I thought I'd apply but might leave it now. Thanks again.

OK thanks for the info. I am teaching 13 years and given that they are still short for LC I thought I'd apply but might leave it now. Thanks again.

No def ring and ask. I only said you may not be offered leaving cert but I don't work for SEC. I don't know about English but in my subject, there are only a small cohort of examiners at ordinary level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The conference and 'Sprioc Lá' dates are up, in case anyone needs to know them.

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-SE-69010084.pdf (.pdf file)

Still no letter here confirming date and location of conference etc., though it is always in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Ring. They will snap you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭doc_17

I rang the SEC last week and told them my students would be using pencils as that’s how they have been instructed since starting school. To tell them two weeks out is harsh. I hope it creates loads of problems for the SEC and none for the students.

Yes sprioc ls the date you fill in marking sheets.

That day is gone. Plenty of teachers thrown straight into HL LC marking these days, particularly where there are shortages.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    I rang the SEC last week and told them my students would be using pencils as that’s how they have been instructed since starting school. To tell them two weeks out is harsh. I hope it creates loads of problems for the SEC and none for the students.

What do you hope to achieve by that? If the average 17/18 year old can't cope with an instruction to write in blue or black pen given a month's notice, they are not going to cope very well when they are out in the real world. If they make a mistake, they can put a line through it and move on. To be honest I can't see why students would get stressed, I can see that teachers whipping them into a frenzy about the type of pen to be used might stress them though.

Mine have been getting the 'Don't be that student who writes in luminous pen, which is hard to read, or in pencil which smudges' for years. I've viewed plenty of scripts in August over the years and they've all managed to follow that basic instruction without their world falling apart.

Advertisement