Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Irish Open - Lahinch

• 17-05-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just announced, Paul McGinley hosting next year in Lahinch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Never Played it but spend a lot of time down there found it a bit of a snobby club (Just my Opinion) As I tried loads of times to play it but unless you know a member or are a yank not a hope! don't have opens either. But have walked it and by all accounts its a super course!

Maybe someday I'll get out on it.. Super part of Ireland I must say..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What super news for the area. Parking maybe a nightmare though and of course the famous Blake’s corner in ennistymon could be fun!!!

Course is exceptional though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

great course wonder how it will handle the number of spectators, imagine numbers will be limited

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

What super news for the area. Parking maybe a nightmare though and of course the famous Blake’s corner in ennistymon could be fun!!!

Course is exceptional though.

I hope the new bridge will be in place to bypass Blake's corner otherwise it will be a nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

benny79 wrote: »
    Never Played it but spend a lot of time down there found it a bit of a snobby club (Just my Opinion) As I tried loads of times to play it but unless you know a member or are a yank not a hope! don't have opens either. But have walked it and by all accounts its a super course!

Are you not able to play it Benny if you just pay the green fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Mistaken on the open front as they had open singles weekly about 18 months ago over the off season. Also u could just pay the green fee like every other course has.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Nothing could be further from the truth, of all the higher bracket Links in Ireland Lahinch is easily the most down to earth and homely.
    Ive been lucky to play here a huge amount over the years and its extremely relaxed compared to others who have the pathetic, jacket in the bar rules, member only areas etc etc. They have regular opens, and a payable green fee with a GUI rate. No idea how you coundnt play??

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭bmay529

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Mistaken on the open front as they had open singles weekly about 18 months ago over the off season. Also u could just pay the green fee like every other course has.

You can play it if you are prepared to fork out €210 p/head or €160 in the "Shoulder" season. As far as I know they don't even offer a GUI rate (Rosses have a €50 GUI rate) and they havn't had an open singles for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

They have regular opens, and a payable green fee with a GUI rate. No idea how you coundnt play??

He could just pay the green fee if he wants to play there.

But I'd like to hear more about the regular opens on there that you mentioned? Scratch cups are on the Castle Course and I'm not aware of any Opens on the Old Course apart of course from the South

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Nothing could be further from the truth, of all the higher bracket Links in Ireland Lahinch is easily the most down to earth and homely. Ive been lucky to play here a huge amount over the years and its extremely relaxed compared to others who have the pathetic, jacket in the bar rules, member only areas etc etc. They have regular opens, and a payable green fee with a GUI rate. No idea how you coundnt play??

We played it last year. 190e a head and we got a round on the castle course included on the Sunday. There was no GUI rate available when I asked.

Members we got chatting to in the bar after our round where embarrassed we had to pay that, they said that's only meant for the yanks!

Pity the pro shop didn't agree!😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭evillive

Played it on Monday (only previous game there was 15 years ago) its an utter, utter delight, had a cracking day weatherwise, strong breeze, had 3 pars and a birdie and kept the same ball. Our 3 ball took just over the 4 hours with some waiting on last few holes

the course was immaculate, grass cart paths better than fairways in a lot of places, greens are devilish but use your imagination and the contours will work to your advantage, plenty of nice shots to the green running off, bunkers were tough to escape though, go badly off line and you may reload, course management is crucial and find the fairway and the ball will rattle on, an approach shot beyond my distance would often kick on closer

had a chat with Tony in starters office heading out and he gave me a helpful walkthrough the course and tips off the tees on driving lines etc, a strokesaver is a must, we played off whites but the back tees will make the Irish Open some test as i said anything wayward is bye-bye

found the staff in the bar and members most friendly and the grub was excellent too, plenty of Americans playing it who were just blown away by the experience

up there with Royal County Down now for my favourite course

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Played open singles there last October (I think) for 50e - great course - not sure how they will cater for any great numbers. Probably be like when it was played in Ballybunion & each day will be restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I played it last summer. Loved every inch of it..maybe more so because I birdied four holes 🀣🀣

I didn't pay the full green fee btw, was paired with two members and a visiting American. Members have me their number if I fancy a game next time I'm down. Top class

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Ronney

golfguy1 wrote: »

They also allow the GUI to Run an open comp for 5 days in July, anyone can enter*

*Handicap cut off might rule a few out though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭bmay529

Ronney wrote: »
    They also allow the GUI to Run an open comp for 5 days in July, anyone can enter*

*Handicap cut off might rule a few out though:)

Interesting!! I rang the Lahinch office who said they did NOT offer a GUI rate and do NOT have any "open" competitions and said they they have not had any for several years!!!

I heard that members have been restricted this year to the number of visitors they cam invite during the year... 6 I thought!!!

Is it the case if you turn up on the day you might get a better rate???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Lads it was just "my option" of when I was down there (at the time) which I used to be regularly not so much these days and am not slagging the club or course as it looks magnificent. I used to ring all the time when down (being about 4/5 yrs now) was told they don't do opens (by reception) or gui rate and green fee was €190+ and was told timesheet is full for said week even though the course was empty. Lets say she didn't seem to come across pleasant. I found it really strange as I never had this problem with any other course. When I was on holidays in Kerry some years ago I played Waterville €65 gui rate receptionist was rude as hell but I got out. but thats a different story :D Maybe she doesn't like Dubs or was having a bad day who knows. I have always been mad to play it as its on my bucket list and have walked the course many times..

I'm glad to see they are holding Opens now as mentioned above. Obviously things have change as I said its being a while since Ive being down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Just looked at the course and the scorecard. That 12th hole looks amazing. At 577 yards is it the longest hole in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There's one on the Old Head weighs in 600+ off the back sticks. Think it's downhill, though, so may well not play its length.

There's one on the Old Head weighs in 600+ off the back sticks. Think it's downhill, though, so may well not play its length.

Ah forgot about that. 623 from the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

One of the par 5s in Killeen castle is also 600+ from what I remember although a few years since I was up there. The 2nd hole I think. A brute of a yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

kiers47 wrote: »
    One of the par 5s in Killeen castle is also 600+ from what I remember although a few years since I was up there. The 2nd hole I think. A brute of a yoke.

613 off the black sticks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Ronney

bmay529 wrote: »
    Interesting!! I rang the Lahinch office who said they did NOT offer a GUI rate and do NOT have any "open" competitions and said they they have not had any for several years!!!

I heard that members have been restricted this year to the number of visitors they cam invite during the year... 6 I thought!!!

Is it the case if you turn up on the day you might get a better rate???

Still run 1 GUI Open as I said, limited to the lowest 150 H/C's

€60 euros and you get at least 2 rounds,

Link is here

https://www.golfnet.ie/tournaments/1763/south-of-ireland-amateur-open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

fearruanua wrote: »
    613 off the black sticks :eek:

Ya. I havent played the blacks mind but i remember on the couple of occasions seeing the tee box and thinking "Jesus F*ck" :eek:

I wonder will attendance be limited. I have never played lahinch but have been to the South once or twice. Honestly couldn't tell ya if the course could manage 20,000 or 40,000. Plenty of dunes so i'd say viewing vantage points should be pretty good.

With such a close proximity to Shannon I wonder would any high profile US based players be tempted to play?
    It's 2 weeks before the Open in Portrush, decent purse....

valoren wrote: »
    With such a close proximity to Shannon I wonder would any high profile US based players be tempted to play?
    It's 2 weeks before the Open in Portrush, decent purse....

Heard mcginley on OTB last year and he said he's already been in contact with the R and A regarding the set up they are hoping to have in Portrush next year. green speeds, fairway width, rough height etc. he said that he going to try and set lahinch up as similar as possible to the set up in portrush in the hope that a lot of golfers would see it as excellent preparation for the british open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

fearruanua wrote: »
    Heard mcginley on OTB last year and he said he's already been in contact with the R and A regarding the set up they are hoping to have in Portrush next year. green speeds, fairway width, rough height etc. he said that he going to try and set lahinch up as similar as possible to the set up in portrush in the hope that a lot of golfers would see it as excellent preparation for the british open.

Did his quote begin with the words "when I was captain in the Ryder Cup..."??

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Funnily enough he did mention it :p

WHIP IT! wrote: »

what do you think???? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Good buddy of mine is the assistant pro down there. Must give him a shout to see if he can wangle me a free/cheap green fee ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement