Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

There's a third photo someone posted in this thread of the same image as the company one that she herself posted where she again looks completely different!! A good 2 sizes smaller and a different shape.

What does she actually look like? No one really knows!!
    The fan photos that Anna posted (2nd post on the thread) are the most likely as they are what she looks like on TV or in videos on Facebook that are posted by companies when she's doing pr work for them.

Apparently the photoshoot was done just before she actually did lose a lot of weight and got into shape. Ironically, even after all the work she put in, she probably never even looked like that "3 days before the shoot" pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Apparently the photoshoot was done just before she actually did lose a lot of weight and got into shape. Ironically, even after all the work she put in, she probably never even looked like that "3 days before the shoot" pic.

I don't buy it. The photoshoot was done over a year after her book came out and here's what she claimed to look like at that time.

9g974j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I don't buy it. The photoshoot was done over a year after her book came out and here's what she claimed to look like at that time.

Would the real MUF please stand up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In all the photo-shopped pics she has that generic "Kim Kardashian" look.
    Its painfully obvious and makes her real pictures look terrible due to the massive contrast.

She's not a 10 or even a 12, which is fine, but then you pretend to be a 6, dont be surprised when people baulk at real images of you where you are actually twice the size you have been pretending to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

On the other hand, she has a lucrative potential career in Photoshop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

rawn wrote: »
    On the other hand, she has a lucrative potential career in Photoshop.

I would hire her - I'd love to look that skinny - if only to use the (fake) picture as inspiration to join a gym :p

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

MUF is really getting it this time around. I'd say FBG is only delighted the heat is not on her this time (i remember not so long ago her crying into the phone about bullying and her anxiety because ppl were calling her out for being shady with sp.'s and ad's…which in fairness she has improved on since)

Watched the likes of Rosie and Sue's snaps over the weekend and was literally laughing at the attitude they had, like literally convinced they were the victims of bullying. Scarlet for ye's girls!

Your in the public eye, people are going to have their own opinions on you, like it or not AND they are entitled to!!
    If they feel you are portraying a "fake" version of yourself or your life (which lets be honest here, at times…THEY ARE) then people have every right to call that out…
    e.g saying you never had/never denied having lip fillers yet trying to influence/sell us all the different lip products. so someone puts up an old pic before ur fillers or your boob job etc. and you call this bullying….NO, it's the truth!!
    You don't have to talk about it or come clean if you dont want to, BUT don't tell us we can't, who the f**K do you think you are, you cannot control peoples right to free speech and if you put ur pics out there to promote products then be sure we will use them to compare ACTUAL pictures of you before you were "famous"!

And i've seen no more mention of the "see what our combined power can do" shi*e….Haha LMAO….i'm quaking in my boots girls...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

I don’t think this has its own thread I just want to know anyone’s opinion about how MUF and the rest of the influencers dealt with what happened over the weekend..

IMO make up fairy has not dealt with it at all she hasn’t spoken since she said she was fighting bullies with the other influencers she’s just brushing past it which is not good enough she needs to address this issue

I feel like the Andrea Roche team need to help her manage the damage control

She put up a camera roll on Snapchat of an unedited and edited picture it was 100% not an unedited photo it was as a different filter she still had her facial features edited she looks nothing like that before picture in real life ..

I think her behaviour needs to change completely i’m Just wondering if it’s just me that feels this way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I did not see this mentioned. I can't it helping her.. (muf) :)

(I have not read the full article but i got the jist)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5251149/Stacey-Solomon-shares-unedited-bikini-photos.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What's a MUF?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

There's an influencers over editing photos thread?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    What's a MUF?

Make up fairy

There's an influencers over editing photos thread?

This is more about how they have dealt with the aftermath

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Did anyone see Rosie on TV last night? I missed it but I caught up on her snaps, seams to be a big change in her opinion. It was good to see her take responsibilty and ownership. I just don't understand why the MUF can't do the same thing. What really bugs me, and it only dawned on me today, is did she not work with children and do a module on psychology? Surely with that background she would be well aware of her impact and how irresponsible it is to portray a hugely false image.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

didn't see her on TV but LOVED how she has addressed it all since the weekend, (rest of them are trying to pretend it's all blown over), she seems to genuinely see that ppl don't want to see her portray herself as this perfect doll, people actually prefer to be able to relate to her and yea the clothes and the makeup etc are great but you have to still be a human and have flaws swell otherwise none of it is believable.

MUF is just digging deeper in her grave imo.
    Trying to carry on as normal but asking what would we like to see perfume or makeup reviews?? Give me a break…we WANT to see your face on camera(no filter haha) and hear your apology for misleading all your followers and then turning on them for calling you out on your deceit! She has to make a change and she SHOULD admit that!

Did you see the snaps last night of the before and after photoshopping…seriously the picture she chose must be one of the nicest of her ever and it look a mile better than the after. Most of the adjustments were lighting.
    No mention of all the pics where she's made herself look stick thin, thats what the real issue is with, not the lighting honey!

Yeah I think she actually listened to what people had to say and took it on board. It's a brave thing to come out and admit you were wrong, it showed a level of maturity from the whole nail tapping rant. Everyone else is being so quiet. It's like they all have taken a step back from Snapchat since it all.

I think the MUF is trying to selectively respond to it. Was her showing the before and after edit meant to make us all go "ohhhh that's all she does?" Her creditably has been so badly damaged the only way she can come back from this is to address it.

I was talking to my sister about it all yesterday, she's doing a marketing degree atm and she was saying that there's been a massive decline in the influencer market. The majority of them wont be around for much longer at least not in the sense of it being so lucrative and profitable. This fiasco has been make or break for a lot of us, if the MUF wants to be in this business and survive it, she's going to have to show some respect to her followers, address it, be honest and do better.

I don't know if maybe this should all be in the one thread, but I'm sure the mods will merge if they think it needs to be.

Anyway, I think she hasn't dealt with it. They all backtracked for a bit, some went on mad rants that were unprofessional and a bit embarrassing. But the MUF hasn't done anything. Fair enough it was her birthday and all that but she really needs to talk about it. I'd say there's a lot going on be hind the scenes that we don't know about but you can't just go on a big rampage, post dramatic captions and then act like nothing ever happened.

No amount of photoshopping will erase what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

ace_irl wrote: »
    I don't know if maybe this should all be in the one thread, but I'm sure the mods will merge if they think it needs to be.

Just an FYI I have merged threads, there was a lot of overlap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I think Rosie was very clever in how she presented herself in her snaps.
    I think she used all the right buzz words, was just apologetic enough without being insincere, she sounded regretful when she was owning up to using the blur tool... but I 100% think it was all for show.

Total damage control at play, she’s delusional if she thinks I believe it took this weekend for her to realize people aren’t happy with bloggers photoshopping their photos.
    This has been brought to their attention over the years, and each time, the follower was branded a jealous hater and blocked.
    She's been reading Boards for years too, and while we were never allowed name names, she must have seen us giving out about it.
    And that was at least 18 months/two years ago. None of this could possibly be news to her.

Anyway I think she’s really clever because the average follower will buy into it and think she’s dead serious.
    I actually even respect her, because at least she’s actually being professional about it, unlike MUF who had a tantrum and "bawled her eyes out".
    So I don’t believe her for a minute, but respect her for being level headed and mature about how she dealt with it.
    I think she deserves a huge amount of credit for being the only one to openly address it so far. She didn't shy away from it and I think that is to be admired.
    I'm confident she'll give her followers what they want, she won't be as heavy handed with the editing and I know that'll be hard for her, because of her skin issues. Shes being very professional, but I'm not sure how truthful she was.
    It’ll be interesting to see how the rest respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This is a duplicate of what I've written elsewhere but since ye are talking about Rosie's response..
    I've just watched Rosie's snaps that ye are on about, and while I feel that maybe half a penny has dropped- I can't help but be dubious about her motivations. I think she's realising that it's a lot easier to keep your followers on your side and she and many others seem to be bending over backwards in order to appease them. I mean showing us the Rimmel photo? The same photo she blocked people over a few weeks ago? She was suspiciously over-apologetic, and while I appreciate it, I'm sceptical. There is no way on earth this girl has only had a lightbulb moment in the last two days when her followers have been voicing these concerns for years and have been blocked for doing it. Like I said, it's easier to have people alongside you then against you- especially when the "haters" turned out to be your genuine following and not a catty cult online.

There's a lot of overcompensating going on right now and I believe Rosie is just being conveniently over-responsive and pandering to her followers over what happened.
    At the end of the day- they need us. They need us to believe in them and they need us to trust them. We buy what they sell. Her whole skit this evening was nothing but an exaggerated attempt at ensuring her followers stay with her and trust her, and so she exposed herself for past malpractice. It's just all too convenient now that she is, to quote Kylie Jenner "realising things" :pac: because of the collective backlash they got, and had they not- I've no doubt she'd be still riding her avenger cape and crying bully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Was fairy for real with the "before" and "after" thing? Like ya we all know how to filter we all have Instagram what's your point? Totally missed the mark again as per.

anna080 wrote: »
    Was fairy for real with the "before" and "after" thing? Like ya we all know how to filter we all have Instagram what's your point? Totally missed the mark again as per.

The more I think about it, the more I think she was trying to be smart, clearly the uproar isn't about adding a filter to make the photo better, it's physically changing her appearance in the photo that needs to stop.

To me that was her way of saying this is all the editing I do, swear here's a before and after. :confused:

The more I think about it, the more I think she was trying to be smart, clearly the uproar isn't about adding a filter to make the photo better, it's physically changing her appearance in the photo that needs to stop.

To me that was her way of saying this is all the editing I do, swear here's a before and after. :confused:

She must think her followers are absolute idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

She must think her followers are absolute idiots.
    I'll be the first to put their hand up. I am an idiot. I honestly didn't know any of these things until I started reading these threads. I couldn't spot photoshopped images, I never realised about affiliate links, white canvas goods and buying fake followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

wyrn wrote: »
    I'll be the first to put their hand up. I am an idiot. I honestly didn't know any of these things until I started reading these threads. I couldn't spot photoshopped images, I never realised about affiliate links, white canvas goods and buying fake followers.

I didn't realise the MUF didn't look like that. Why would I think she would look different?
    I actually even showed her photo to my OH because I was shocked how fake she looked - because the images on her website WERE NOT REAL!!!

wyrn wrote: »

I mean after all this has come out.

Everyone has seen the unedited pictures now yet she still is peddling her heavily edited ones. I hope someone called her out on it but knowing her they'd just be blocked.

She's been doing it for so long that the only public image of her is the one she wants us to see, so unless you've met her in person you could very easily have no clue that it's not real. I suppose at least she's consistent.

Does she not feel massively awkward meeting her followers? Surely she would be worried about people's reaction to her? I remember meeting her at her book launch, because I use to be a big supporter of her and she looked nothing like her online image, not in a bad way, but I was really confused. Every time I've seen her I think the same thing. So much so that I don't have a lot of respect for her anymore.

She's been doing it for so long that the only public image of her is the one she wants us to see, so unless you've met her in person you could very easily have no clue that it's not real. I suppose at least she's consistent.

Does she not feel massively awkward meeting her followers? Surely she would be worried about people's reaction to her? I remember meeting her at her book launch, because I use to be a big supporter of her and she looked nothing like her online image, not in a bad way, but I was really confused. Every time I've seen her I think the same thing. So much so that I don't have a lot of respect for her anymore.

Sure nobody turned up to her Pixie Pout tour a few months ago.

• Advertisement

Sure nobody turned up to her Pixie Pout tour a few months ago.

Was that the pharmacy one? I don't really get why you would go on a tour over lip glosses, not like she was signing the box off them.

I wonder if she'll address this all at her workshop talk thing she's doing? Maybe she'll keep this relevant just to drum up publicity for her event.

It's a terribly cynical point of view, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Advertisement