Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k FPV Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

tedpan wrote: »
    Cheers mate.

That's great, glad it was a simple fix! Hopefully the eBay cable is decent and does the job!

Go to GPS options in the settings on the app

Change the max distance to unlimited and the max height to the 500m limit. ;)

I see those settings - thanks. Will try it in the next day or so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I see those settings - thanks. Will try it in the next day or so.

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Just a warning about gearbest. I got this reply (in part) from them in response to raising a ticket:

-Regarding Quadcopters and RC toys please review our policy here: http://www.gearbest.com/about/warranty-and-return.html

Please note that due to their intended usage, quadcopters, RC toys and wheels are excempt from our warranty policy and are only cover in DOA cases.

That said, we are still willing to help you the best we can.

We can exceptionally offer you a partial refund of 30USD to your Wallet as store credit and reward you with extra points (e.g. If your refund is 1 USD = 2 points ,3 USD= 6 points etc.).

So, essentially, they're washing their hands of the problem because it's a drone. It looks like if it was completely DOA, they'd do a refund but if the camera keeps giving trouble I'm goosed.

Not brilliant. I'm trying to query them further but their support ticket system is very unresponsive. Wonder why?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0DZIMcDLfl3Vl9RSXJOY1ZjY0k

RAW shots for the BA thread, thought it could be valuable here too. I'm not a photographer so unsure what the quality is like. 23MB per shot.

Cheers

Just a warning about gearbest. I got this reply (in part) from them in response to raising a ticket:

-Regarding Quadcopters and RC toys please review our policy here: http://www.gearbest.com/about/warranty-and-return.html

Please note that due to their intended usage, quadcopters, RC toys and wheels are excempt from our warranty policy and are only cover in DOA cases.

That said, we are still willing to help you the best we can.

We can exceptionally offer you a partial refund of 30USD to your Wallet as store credit and reward you with extra points (e.g. If your refund is 1 USD = 2 points ,3 USD= 6 points etc.).

So, essentially, they're washing their hands of the problem because it's a drone. It looks like if it was completely DOA, they'd do a refund but if the camera keeps giving trouble I'm goosed.

Not brilliant. I'm trying to query them further but their support ticket system is very unresponsive. Wonder why?

How are you getting on with the drone. Any updates?

• Advertisement

Here's the latest from around the estate. Didn't lose control but used Return to Home on the way back. Getting lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

How are you getting on with the drone. Any updates?

contact support@fimi.com they handle xiaomi drone repairs. They check blackbox for crashes etc so can see if you stuck it in a wall :)

I had a runaway drone that they repaired under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shinujohn

Long shot...but anyone ever have connectivity issues with this drone..just in case we do ..and the stuff is from China...how about to go then..
    I was thinking of getting it from gearbest.
    also where can we proceed to take insurance for it in Ireland.

TIA

shinujohn wrote:
    Long shot...but anyone ever have connectivity issues with this drone..just in case we do ..and the stuff is from China...how about to go then.. I was thinking of getting it from gearbest. also where can we proceed to take insurance for it in Ireland.

Connectivity issues - not with android, I have heard that iPhones have had delays in the stream. Sometimes the drone compass can get interferred with and you need to take off from a different location, so you just move it a metre away and all's good.

There's a thread in bargain alerts for the Mi Drone, several boardsies have bought from gearbest with no issues with customs, although their support is pretty useless. I'd suggest dealing directly with the manufacturer although I'm not saying that's easy either being in Asia.

Unsure about insurance. Think you can get it for around 330e all in at the moment so not sure if insurance would be cost effective with excesses etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

You will need to have completed a 2 day ground school course (offered by a number of companies in Ireland) and pass the flight test in order to get insurance on your drone. Any of the companies I spoke to would not entertain a quote until I had the test completed and paperwork/licence in order.
    In fairness its like a car insurance company giving cover to somebody with no drivers licence! They would leave themselves wide open to a potential claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Here's the latest from around the estate. Didn't lose control but used Return to Home on the way back. Getting lazy!

Hi tedpan
    Wife has this drone ordered for christmas ðŸ˜
    What software do you use to edit the video?

satstheway wrote:
    Hi tedpan Wife has this drone ordered for christmas 😠What software do you use to edit the video?

Hi, nice one!

I used to use Windows movie maker which does the job upto 1080p. I use movavi video editor now because I reinstalled windows and couldn't find the free movie maker download, although apparently it's still available for download from Microsoft's legacy site.

I haven't really done much 4k editing as my laptop isn't powerful enough to do 4k.

Hi all I have had my drone up on a few different occasions now and have to say it is a dream to fly when you get used to it.
    But in different lightning situations (low sun)
    I find it hard to control the camera settings quick enough and now have messed up mine a bit.
    (The exposure is easy as it has a dedicated control )
    But my Samsung phone image is not as good as the tv image and a bit darker so if u adjust image u dont see true result until u see it on tv or comp

I adjusted the contrast and did not like it and the default I think is s bit dark.
    The saturation is set around 24 to give a nicer green/blue which I seen recommended on other sites.

What are the exact camera settings used by other 4k mi users here to get best results.

Thanks in advance

satstheway wrote:
    What are the exact camera settings used by other 4k mi users here to get best results.

I'm not really sure. I mainly leave it on the zero setting and use + or - 1 on the dial depending on the lighting situation. Maybe someone else could advise?

Did another default and all back good again.
    In all fairness it is some camera drone for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Took mine out for the first time today. Downloaded updates and calibrated. Rotors started by pulling two levers inwards. Then they went off after about 5 seconds? Should I press auto take off before I start rotors??? Complete newbie to drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Use auto take of and landing, much safer

eoz wrote:
    Took mine out for the first time today. Downloaded updates and calibrated. Rotors started by pulling two levers inwards. Then they went off after about 5 seconds? Should I press auto take off before I start rotors??? Complete newbie to drones.

That's all correct. You have about 5 seconds before they automatically shut off. Make sure you have plenty of room around you too and just use the left stick at first to go up and down, so you get used to it. Then you'll soon realise how easy it is to fly.

Let us know how you get on!

That's all correct. You have about 5 seconds before they automatically shut off. Make sure you have plenty of room around you too and just use the left stick at first to go up and down, so you get used to it. Then you'll soon realise how easy it is to fly.

Let us know how you get on!

Got it up in the air today. Easy to fly. I’ll leave it in beginner mode for a couple of flights. How do I transfer the video onto my phone?

eoz wrote:
    Got it up in the air today. Easy to fly. I’ll leave it in beginner mode for a couple of flights. How do I transfer the video onto my phone?

When you're connected to the drone with the remote and app, you can view drone storage and then view recordings through the app. This however only gives access to lower quality images and videos for streaming purposes. To view the original file in 4k or 1080p I recommend removing the SD card from the camera and viewing it on a PC/laptop.

I'd recommend recording in 1080 30 or 60fps for easier editing. The recording options are in app. You can also change speed and height settings once you turn off beginner mode.

• Advertisement

When you're connected to the drone with the remote and app, you can view drone storage and then view recordings through the app. This however only gives access to lower quality images and videos for streaming purposes. To view the original file in 4k or 1080p I recommend removing the SD card from the camera and viewing it on a PC/laptop.

I'd recommend recording in 1080 30 or 60fps for easier editing. The recording options are in app. You can also change speed and height settings once you turn off beginner mode.

Thanks. I managed to play it on my tablet. Quality wasn’t great. Time to invest in a laptop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Still, never bought one :(
    Just clicked the link there, the price seems to have rocketed back up again - I know it varies a fair bit, but seems to have been 400+ for a while now.

Is there a reason? New model?

jogdish wrote:
    Still, never bought one Just clicked the link there, the price seems to have rocketed back up again - I know it varies a fair bit, but seems to have been 400+ for a while now.

Don't think so mate. It's 388e now and has been around that for the past 4 or 5 months, except for the odd day when it's 550e.

Check out the other thread in bargain alerts. There's a lot more discussion there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I've had mine for about a year now and it does the job for something that is a third of the price of the DJI.

The compass is a pain, unfortunately. For anybody struggling with it, point the drone north and it will take off no problem. If it's facing any other direction, the compass won't let you. You can check your direction by looking at the arrow in the GPS map.

Kirby wrote:
    The compass is a pain, unfortunately. For anybody struggling with it, point the drone north and it will take off no problem. If it's facing any other direction, the compass won't let you. You can check your direction by looking at the arrow in the GPS map.

Mine doesn't seem to have the compass issue, anyway happy you're still enjoying it. Think I'll head out this afternoon for a mess around.

Mine doesn't seem to have the compass issue, anyway happy you're still enjoying it. Think I'll head out this afternoon for a mess around.

The weather is great for it.

I would be out there too but I cracked a blade yesterday and don't have any spares. Amazingly, it still flies with incredible stability.....and its missing half a clockwise blade. Like its half the length it should be. Blew my mind.

Still, It would be irresponsible to take it up like that even though it probably could. I'll wait for the replacements. :)

Quick question tedpan. I noticed in your vids you've gotten to 2.5k out before losing signal. Are you using the stock controller or have you done that DIY extender method?

Kirby wrote:
    Still, It would be irresponsible to take it up like that even though it probably could. I'll wait for the replacements.

Which blade is it, silver or gold?

Kirby wrote: »
    Quick question tedpan. I noticed in your vids you've gotten to 2.5k out before losing signal. Are you using the stock controller or have you done that DIY extender method?

No, just standard setup. Make sure the antennas are folded down towards the ground and aimed towards the quad. I think it would have gone further than that out to sea. No obstructions :)

• Advertisement

Which blade is it, silver or gold?

Silver. Silver are the clockwise ones i think. Gold are the CCW ones.

Advertisement